Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black FJ, as you know it needs extra care to keep it shiny inside out. Please provide me with some tips and what products should i use in order to maintain the color of the car.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
meguiars.com: E-Store

I have and will always use Meguiars on every vehicle I own. The "Professional Mirror Glaze" product line is great. I use the synthetic sealant instead of carnuba and the synthetic spray detailer inbetween waxes. They have a great hand polish too after you wax and that will definately make it purdy. I have a Black Cherry, not as dark as black, but still a dark color. The #40 Vinyl & Rubber care works great inside and they've also got tire dressing. Anything and everything you need to clean a car. I know this sounds like a long advertisment, but I promise I don't work for them, but maybe they should be paying me.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
get one of these for drying. they are the bomb!!!!!!!!!!! and stash nicely in our rear door cargo net. Everyone should have one of these.

:Rocker:

If you were lucky and scored your FJ with Leather seats. I use McGuyers Leather conditioner wipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
get one of these for drying. they are the bomb!!!!!!!!!!! and stash nicely in our rear door cargo net. Everyone should have one of these.

:Rocker:

I've been using the Absorber for years with excellent results. The best technique I've learned is to go over the entire truck very quickly wringing it out a few times in the process. No need to try to wring it out completely just yet and don't worry if some water remains. Next, go over it again and this time around dry it completely and wring the Absorber out as much as possible as you would with a chamois. Basically the Absorber is a synthetic chamois. It works the same way only better IMO. Always roll it up while damp and store it in the tube it came in to keep it from drying out and becoming stiff. If that does happen, it's no big deal to soak it again to soften it up.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Ive been using lysol wipes to wipe all the crap off my floor's and plastic. then just use a type of plastic care. a tube of lysol wipes fits in the cup holder pocket in the suicide door.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I find that keeping a can of WD(FJ)40 can serve several purposes with the FJ. One of which is cleaning the dash, bumper and finder wells. I have not had a problem yet using it on plastic. It looks great and keeps it from drying out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
PLEASE try ICE by turtle wax. I tried it by a recomendation from someone on this site. You can use it on the painted as well as plastic. It doesnt fade or run like most plastic protectants do. I think its about $18 US dollars. It lasts a long time though and if you try it be sure and use it on the dash as well. I like using the paste versus the liquid. Let me know what you think.Turtle Wax - Home check it out here....

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
If you were lucky and scored your FJ with Leather seats. I use McGuyers Leather conditioner wipes.
You've got leather seats? Trade ya! :)

M

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
PLEASE try ICE by turtle wax. I tried it by a recomendation from someone on this site. You can use it on the painted as well as plastic. It doesnt fade or run like most plastic protectants do. I think its about $18 US dollars. It lasts a long time though and if you try it be sure and use it on the dash as well. I like using the paste versus the liquid. Let me know what you think.Turtle Wax - Home check it out here....
I tried "ice" but I didn't like it! It didn't last. I would recommend Turtle wax Platinum series paste. Great stuff! ....:cheers:

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Thank you so much for the advices :)

what about the external non-metal parts? like the bumpers?

The #40 Vinyl & Rubber care that I mentioned in my first post also works great on all the outside trim that isn't paint

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Oh, and the plus with Mequiars is it's all available online.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
where can i find those absorbers? i also use macguires on mine shines pretty nice

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got the following item from Maguiars:

• Supreme Shine® Microfiber Towel
  • Quik Interior Detailer™
  • Gold Class™ Endurance® High Gloss
  • COLORx®
  • NXT generation Car Wash
do i need something else?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I also like Meguiars products. I had three black cars and I liked using the California duster in between washes and quick detailer for cleaning droppings off and hard water stains.

At my age now a black car is not something I want to take care the way I did when I was younger. Im happy with my VD Blue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to like Meguiars, until I used 3M products. It costs more, but the results speak for themselves, I've been taking scratches out and restoring automotive finishes since 1997, ONLY use 3M, and have never had a single call back for poor quality.

Go to a local body shop supply, at the least, pick up a clay bar (Not the cheap BS one with the Meguiars "kit"), but a real hunk of clay that will be either red or blue, I suggest the blue. 3M makes a showroom shine that works well with it. While you are there, pick up some 3M Perfect it III swirl remover, use it before you wax, but after you clay, every time, preferably with a low speed orbital buffer (about $100.00),which you can also use later to actually remove scratches yourself, and any 3M wax is great.

It's more expensive, but in 5 years you will see where your money went when you park next to another one the same age/miles.

Have fun!

DD

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I think I've tired about everything under the sun but a car crazy guy at work turned me on to this stuff called Formula "113". They also sell a detailer spary to use between waxing that you can spary on everything like paint, rubber, and glass called Bead X. It works good for me. // Formula 113 // Time to shine :cheers:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also like Meguiars products. I had three black cars and I liked using the California duster in between washes and quick detailer for cleaning droppings off and hard water stains.

At my age now a black car is not something I want to take care the way I did when I was younger. Im happy with my VD Blue.
can i use Maguiars Quik Interior Detailer™ for the external non-metal parts?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts