Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install led strips in the footwells of my FJ because the interior is so dark & I like that LED glow! :alien: The setup I want might be impossible or advanced for me as I'm not well versed in electrical work.

My goal:
I want the lights to run off dome light circuit to turn on when doors are opened. I know this is done using ribbon cable in a-pillar
AND use CH4x4 switch to turn on lights using accessory power (on with key)// or with headlight/ dash light circuit

Here's the switch: CH4x4 Toyota Push Switch Footwell Lights Symbol
It has 4 terminals
Here's the LEDs I bought, not that they really matter: AMBER LED FOOTWELL/INTERIOR STRIP LIGHTING - 4 STRIPS MAXI KIT | eBay

The kit came with 2 50cm strips and two 40cm strips so if I had to I could run a set on door circuit and another set on the switch/ or wire the switch with headlight/ dash light circuit

The OEM LED footwell lighting in my honda civic worked when door was opened regardless of switch being pressed in, then was on when ever headlights were on with switch pressed. Just looking for a similar setup. I haven't came by any threads that use the yota style switches.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just did something similar and while it doesn't necessarily answer your question, it may give you some more ideas. I bought some small flush mount led's that needed holes drilled. This means they aren't easily removed but I like the more factory installed look it achieved. I also purchased a locking push switch similar to the CH4x4 ones but I'm out of factory slots and had to come up with another alternative that would still look good/close to factory. Everything is wired to be hot with the ACC on. I wanted to light the door pockets, center console hole and the push switches under the A/C controls. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.
fullsizeoutput_bb9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_bbb.jpeg CGME8kRfSSqctU6YWP6j3w.jpg fullsizeoutput_ba1.jpeg ZnmWzI6sTkCqW%jCAEqtXg.jpg 6r09M7C4QJ2u9cXDm7mqrg.jpg NtCeOAyGQhqiKJqvDyXb7A.jpg UUxAAB4tS1uFsvsnx8afUA.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did something similar and while it doesn't necessarily answer your question, it may give you some more ideas. I bought some small flush mount led's that needed holes drilled. This means they aren't easily removed but I like the more factory installed look it achieved. I also purchased a locking push switch similar to the CH4x4 ones but I'm out of factory slots and had to come up with another alternative that would still look good/close to factory. Everything is wired to be hot with the ACC on. I wanted to light the door pockets, center console hole and the push switches under the A/C controls. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.
View attachment 1123963 View attachment 1123964 View attachment 1123957 View attachment 1123962 View attachment 1123958 View attachment 1123961 View attachment 1123955 View attachment 1123960
That looks really good. Do you know where you got those LEDs? I'm doing Amber lights all over the Interior as well. I think I would need a SPDT switch to accomplish my goal which no company manufacturers in the Toyota switch style.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
I planned everything out and installed some of the led's myself but I had my audio installer do the wiring because I'm sure I'd burn my truck to the ground if I got involved and I had some other stuff going in anyways.
LED's Switch
Edit: Not sure why that switch linked to one with a silver housing but they have the black one I bought as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I planned everything out and installed some of the led's myself but I had my audio installer do the wiring because I'm sure I'd burn my truck to the ground if I got involved and I had some other stuff going in anyways.
LED's Switch
Edit: Not sure why that switch linked to one with a silver housing but they have the black one I bought as well.
Thanks for the links. I like an OEM look but those flush mount Leds are sweet. I have a tuffy console and could use those to light up inside of it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The pictures are a little deceiving as my phone went into a 3 sec exposure mode so they look a bit brighter than they are in reality. I was worried they'd be too bright and wanted to retain full control with the switch. They throw the perfect amount of light to be able to see into those dark areas and not be a nuisance if I wanted to leave them on. I have the Industrial Forming console cover and I mounted the 2 lights just below the lip that holds the upper tray. It's hard enough to see down into that cavernous hole during the day! The ones below the A/C controls worked perfectly to throw a little light on the drivetrain shift knob so I can see the markings without hitting the overhead now. My interior overheads are white LED's and while nice when parked, they can be abrasive if turned on while driving.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pictures are a little deceiving as my phone went into a 3 sec exposure mode so they look a bit brighter than they are in reality. I was worried they'd be too bright and wanted to retain full control with the switch. They throw the perfect amount of light to be able to see into those dark areas and not be a nuisance if I wanted to leave them on. I have the Industrial Forming console cover and I mounted the 2 lights just below the lip that holds the upper tray. It's hard enough to see down into that cavernous hole during the day! The ones below the A/C controls worked perfectly to throw a little light on the drivetrain shift knob so I can see the markings without hitting the overhead now. My interior overheads are white LED's and while nice when parked, they can be abrasive if turned on while driving.
That makes sense. The only place I wouldn't use them is in my door pockets because it would just expose the receipts & straw rappers that I stuff in there lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts