Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2007 FJ. Build date is 16.dec.06. The interior lower quarter panel cover is busted up. It can't be fixed, nothing for it but replacement. Sad really, previous owner didn't realty seem to care very much about the appearance.
Here is the problem. There is a different part number for the earlier builds. After January of 2007 and on they are all the same. Does anyone know if I can use a 2007 or 08, whatever. If the only issue is Toyota added say a extra pocket. Well no worries. Just concern that the fixings to the body may be different you see.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hello all,
I have a 2007 FJ. Build date is 16.dec.06. The interior lower quarter panel cover is busted up. It can't be fixed, nothing for it but replacement. Sad really, previous owner didn't realty seem to care very much about the appearance.
Here is the problem. There is a different part number for the earlier builds. After January of 2007 and on they are all the same. Does anyone know if I can use a 2007 or 08, whatever. If the only issue is Toyota added say a extra pocket. Well no worries. Just concern that the fixings to the body may be different you see.
Thanks in advance for any help.
The earlier build code is from the fj that had bad engines. They changed lots of part numbers after that. The part from a later 07, 08 will fit fine. However, do some research on the VINs with the early engine. I think I may have a thread here somewhere outlining my engine swap. My fj was babied, and one day i came out after remote starting and it sounded like a diesel....at 90,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The earlier build code is from the fj that had bad engines. They changed lots of part numbers after that. The part from a later 07, 08 will fit fine. However, do some research on the VINs with the early engine. I think I may have a thread here somewhere outlining my engine swap. My fj was babied, and one day i came out after remote starting and it sounded like a diesel....at 90,000 miles.

That was at the quick and spot on to the information I needed. I will order up the offending item then.

·
Premium Member
13,483 Posts

Early FJs and bad engines? Thats new, expand?

Reactions: Datajockeys

·
Registered
726 Posts
Early FJs and bad engines? Thats new, expand?
I thought it was well known. Early fjs had a lower end bearing issue that's responsible for early engine death. There is a significant difference in early engine codes vs. Later ones, and that's how you can tell the problem engines from the "fixed" ones. It's been so long, but if I remember correctly, theres a digit in the vin that is different on the early ones vs the ones after the bearing issue was resolved.

·
Premium Member
13,483 Posts
Find that hard to believe that given the amount of early production high mileage FJs out there also the engine is not new to Toyota.

Reactions: Datajockeys
1 - 7 of 7 Posts