Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Presently my rig does not have a roof rack and I was wondering if anyone has seen or custom designed a ski rack for the interior of the FJ? Ideally it would be something that fits down the left interior side of the truck behind the driver seat with the backseat behind the driver folded down. I've done a pretty good search but have yet to come across much other than this style that Saab used on their 94-X. I've always just tossed my gear in the back. Any ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Love to ski and was at Jay Peak, VT during the last few days for the fresh pow! Cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about a rear hitch mount?
I've looked at the hitch and spare tire mounts from Thule and they're nice but with the amount of salt on the roads up here, the entire back door/spare tire gets completely coated when driving. Trying to avoid the nasty coating of salt on my gear even if the skis are covered in skis bags... Maybe something I can rig to the interior side paneling or floor...

Thanks for the feedback so far. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is another pic of the funky interior ski rack from Saab. Not looking for the automated part of this rack, just wondering if anyone has rigged up something like this inside the FJ.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I've looked at the hitch and spare tire mounts from Thule and they're nice but with the amount of salt on the roads up here, the entire back door/spare tire gets completely coated when driving. Trying to avoid the nasty coating of salt on my gear even if the skis are covered in skis bags... Maybe something I can rig to the interior side paneling or floor...

Thanks for the feedback so far. Much appreciated!
Yep the road grime sucks and can degrade performance. I was just thinking that slick roads and long odd shaped stuff might be better off on the outside. But, with the tie downs in the back a frame should be a possible fix. Good luck!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Seeing that I do. My fair share of skiing. 31 days so far this year and many of them not at the resort I work for I have to carry my skis a lot. I do not carry mine on top due to the salt etc that can get on them so I carry them inside and I can tell you that most skis will not fit straight in unless you are 5 feet tall. My 189 four front turbos or my 183 katanas will not even fit diagonal in the back with out banging the crap out of the side of your suicide door. The best way that I have found to carry one pair of skis inside is to keep the back seats up and put them over and put the tips into the square cubby right in between the seats. If you need to carry more than one pair and want them inside you are going to have to let them hit the rear door as well as the side of the suicide door. I am going to get a rocket box so I can keep everything clean and still have them outside.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's an interesting idea, but not much more, at least for my uses. You might be able to do something with the driver's side rear passenger's seat that folds down. I usually have 3-4 people with me when I go skiing. The roof rack works for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seeing that I do. My fair share of skiing. 31 days so far this year and many of them not at the resort I work for I have to carry my skis a lot. I do not carry mine on top due to the salt etc that can get on them so I carry them inside and I can tell you that most skis will not fit straight in unless you are 5 feet tall. My 189 four front turbos or my 183 katanas will not even fit diagonal in the back with out banging the crap out of the side of your suicide door. The best way that I have found to carry one pair of skis inside is to keep the back seats up and put them over and put the tips into the square cubby right in between the seats. If you need to carry more than one pair and want them inside you are going to have to let them hit the rear door as well as the side of the suicide door. I am going to get a rocket box so I can keep everything clean and still have them outside.
Thanks SKIBUMM for the tip on the square cubby trick. I will try that out next time I'm rolling solo.. Good point on the length factor for such a rack idea. My 178 Rossi Scratch BC's just fit diagonally but my Armada 185 JJ's have to be pointing towards the center console which works ok. (normally just use the Armada's on vacations in the West).. 3 pairs were no problem last weekend, just seeing what other options were out there. I guess for such a rack to work it would have to be positioned down the center with the right back seat folded to to accommodate length. Cheers!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I do wish the cargo space of the FJ did extend far enough back to fit skiis, barbells, bikes, etc length wise. Right now to haul skiis I have the passenger side rear seats folded down and skiis layed diagonally.
If you need to carry more than one pair and want them inside you are going to have to let them hit the rear door as well as the side of the suicide door.
Two of my skiis are 188 and 181, to solve the issue of them banging around I just keep them in an old ski bag zipped up just enough to keep the skiis inside and I have yet to have an issue with the skiis banging up the inside of the FJ.
I do not carry mine on top due to the salt etc that can get on them so I carry them inside. I am going to get a rocket box so I can keep everything clean and still have them outside.
Totally agree, I just hate having that big thing up on top of the vehicle, especially with the overall height of the FJ. But a rocket box would allow for more gear and people to be packed inside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am considering buying an FJ for it does everything I want a vehichle to do very well, except hold skis inside while still seating my ski friends going backcountry skiing on very rough muddy/snowy back roads.

I already own a roof top carrier, but by far prefer to just thow everything inside and not worry about it and be able to have easy access to all the gear. While not having to put on and remove my carrier on all the time so I can park at work on weekdays and play on weekends (low parking ceiling).

What's the likely hood of altering the the rear seat by removing the middle section and leaving intact the right & left seat backs, which are currently 60/40 to create a 40/20/40 back seat? The 20 being removed and gone thus allowing the creation of some rack like that Saab has in it in a previous picture in this forum. I believe this would allow even longer skis to go down the middle, not hit the center console or seats, still allow for 4 passengers (including driver) and be very convenient.

Would this be possible, still look good (modifying the 60 seat back) and not ruin any other features other than seating 5 people?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts