Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

interior?

5K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  cougarzluv 
#1 ·
i think that toyota needs to redo this interior it needs to look more simple like the fj40 interior no electric gizmos except a radio .the old fj40 was a true work suv had a simple but practical interior and they need to drop the blue pannels inside the interior.what do you think

#3 ·
taho32 said:
i think that toyota needs to redo this interior it needs to look more simple like the fj40 interior no electric gizmos except a radio .the old fj40 was a true work suv had a simple but practical interior and they need to drop the blue pannels inside the interior.what do you think
No!

Yo, this is 2005, I think we can get some reliable electronics from Toyota at this point.

Why would I want a car with nothing but a radio in it????

#4 ·
I think it should only have 68 horsepower too so that it's more authentic :p

and it could be more like my 67 Rover and spew all sorts of odors and fumes :)

no..this is a natural progression. If the FJ40 had progressed, staying relatively the same, it would have gradually gotten ABS, power windows, etc etc

#6 ·
...there probably weren't even any fuses in the earlier ones. My '54 Willys jeep didn't have any, but it was just a little 6 volt system. The old ones also most likely leaked fluids on the showroom floor - my Willys has over 40 zirc fittings. Oh and its 3 speed tranny w/o a synchronized 1st gear - to die for. They don't make 'em like that any more fellas - for good reason. Mine is sleeping in the garage right now waiting on a brake overhaul - 9" drums all the way around. They slow you down pretty well. Sometimes I go out there just to smell it. You can't beat the smell of old oily greasy iron. You 20 something guys wouldn't understand.

#7 ·
Pancho said:
You can't beat the smell of old oily greasy iron. You 20 something guys wouldn't understand.

I've had 2 Alfa Romeo's and have a '67 Land Rover that leaks 90 weight like there's no tomorrow. Believe me, I understand :)

#8 ·
taho32 said:
I will come to taho defence a bit. I too find the dash to be a bit buzy and choppped up. A little to leaning towards a video game look or gen x but may be I just an old fart.

As far as the panel insurts, trust me there will be after market option to change the look.

#9 ·
I agree on a simple, minimalist interior aesthetically. For instance, wtf is up with that funky subwoofer housing?? Will I be able to pull it out and strut around the hood with it on my shoulder? I like some bass but does it have to look like that? Young dude that works at Wegmans - do you like that subwoofer housing? And that silver plastic that borders the dashboard is overdone too. I do like big knobs though... and thanks for the Aux input up front and the plug for my blender in the back. Or maybe I'll mount a fridge back there....

#10 ·
I'm not gettin' the sub. I can have three installed in the same place and take up half the space. Screw the sub.

As far as dash is concerned, it's alright. It's a whole lot better looking than a lot of other vehicles these days, and ya'all know there will be inserts and aftermarket adons and do-dads we can get and use instead.

#11 ·
Pancho said:
For instance, wtf is up with that funky subwoofer housing?? Will I be able to pull it out and strut around the hood with it on my shoulder?
LOL laugh of the day

#12 ·
taho32 said:
FWIW, I agree. I'd rather they drop the plastic and go with all metal. All the better to smash my teeth into during a head-on. (Which is the reason I think plastics have become de rigueur. Man I hate that.)

Also, I'd thin out the steering wheel. I hate the modern marshmallow ones. But you have to have them to stick an airbag in, and our overweening federal government seems to have a problem with me not having a problem risking being impaled on my steering column.

While we are on the topic:

* Drop the taper in the rear roofline
* Square off the back and drop balloon rear turn signals
* Rear ambulance doors please.
* For the love of Pete, lose the ridiculous C-pillar, and make the wrap around windows functional.
* Drop the hood down earlier on the sides, onto a square wheel well.
* Move the turn signals on top of the front wheel wells, like the old cruisers.
* Every window seam on the car should be glass meeting painted metal, not a plastic underlayer.
* All pillars should be thin and metal.
* Drop the indentations across the roof, and offer a more explicit seam along the color->white transition.
* Solid front axle, please
* A bit thinner across the midsection, please. There is an unnecessary and fussy bulge to the FJ.
* Orange (matte, please)
* A diesel option for us nutter holdouts would be nice. (Thanks, California State Government!)
* Etc.

Not that I won't be first in line for the beige moab edition...

Anyone at Toyota interested in hiring a computer scientist with no design training whatsoever and only a rudimentary understanding of both the mechanics and production of vehicles to run their 4x4 design shop? If so, please contact me.

Cheerio,
prat

#13 ·
praetorian said:
FWIW, I agree. I'd rather they drop the plastic and go with all metal. All the better to smash my teeth into during a head-on. (Which is the reason I think plastics have become de rigueur. Man I hate that.)

Also, I'd thin out the steering wheel. I hate the modern marshmallow ones. But you have to have them to stick an airbag in, and our overweening federal government seems to have a problem with me not having a problem risking being impaled on my steering column.

* For the love of Pete, lose the ridiculous C-pillar, and make the wrap around windows functional.
* Every window seam on the car should be glass meeting painted metal, not a plastic underlayer.
* Drop the indentations across the roof, and offer a more explicit seam along the color->white transition.
* A bit thinner across the midsection, please. There is an unnecessary and fussy bulge to the FJ.
* Orange (matte, please)
* A diesel option for us nutter holdouts would be nice. (Thanks, California State Government!)
* Etc.

Anyone at Toyota interested in hiring a computer scientist with no design training whatsoever and only a rudimentary understanding of both the mechanics and production of vehicles to run their 4x4 design shop? If so, please contact me.

Cheerio,
prat
But what do u really think?

#14 ·
Roosterdo said:
LOL laugh of the day
no it's industrial-tough, don't you know? you can throw rocks at it and it would be fine. yeah, I agree that thing is UGLY.....but I guess it's in keeping with the "X" that dominated the original FJ all over the inside.....

#15 ·
praetorian said:

* Orange (matte, please)
* Etc.

Cheerio,
prat
I think Toyota already had a car like that once... Lemme see here...

Oh yeah:

Why can't anyone be happy with what we're given? If you want an FJ40, go buy an FJ40. If you want a capable, modern off-roader, buy an FJ Cruiser. It's that simple.

- LC

#17 ·
Think of it this way. I'm more worried about getting my monthly payments down more than anything so I have no intention of financing a sub and a couple extra speakers. Same goes for steel bumbers, A/T tires, mag wheels and skidplates. Overall, I just want the FJ in my driveway as soon as possible and then over time I'll install as much aftermarket stuff as my heart desires.

#19 ·
looks like if you get the upgrade package 1 you will get the headliner speakers but no sub. With no upgrade packages you won't get the headliner speakers (6 speakers).

In one of the reviews it said the Garmin gps is specific to the FJ. I don't know anything on this gps but assumed it would be universal. How much less, if at all, are portable systems vs integrated? Anyone know more on this?

#20 ·
Hello. This is my first post after spying on this site for months. This is the most knowledgeable group regarding the FJ Cruiser that exists...fun group, too.

I am new to four-wheeling, but I was curious to know how restrictive the hood and C-pillar blind spots will be for spotting obstacles on the trails.

#21 ·
Herky said:
Hello. This is my first post after spying on this site for months. This is the most knowledgeable group regarding the FJ Cruiser that exists...fun group, too.

I am new to four-wheeling, but I was curious to know how restrictive the hood and C-pillar blind spots will be for spotting obstacles on the trails.
I would say that the blind spots are going to matter more on-road than off-road. Your past obstacles by the time they are at the c-pillar

#23 ·
ToyBox said:
I would say that the blind spots are going to matter more on-road than off-road. Your past obstacles by the time they are at the c-pillar
I dunno, it might cause a problem if you're sliding sideways.

But then, that's a bad thing lol :eek:

- LC

#24 ·
ToyBox said:
And this post is just to get me to "SENIOR" status.
:D
Oh, is that how it works. Good thing it's not in a womans nature to speak out often on random subjects, voice her opinion on any and everything, always get the last word, speak when not spoken to... or I'd be a senior member by now. Yep, it's a good thing!

Bye guys...off to work. It's London for new years eve and then San Fran for the the 1st. There is still a bit of glamor in the gig, not quite the "coffee tea or me?" days.
Can't wait to get back to DC to spend hours in fron of the computer catching up on all the posts I missed (now that's a glamorous life)!

Happy New Year All!
:D

#25 ·
Okay, so the C-pillars shouldn't be a problem on the trails. Thanks.

How much of a hindrance will the "raised" hood be? Does it really block all that much? Obviously, you deal with what you have in a vehicle, and no vehicle is perfect or else we'd all be driving the same one...but does the hood prevent you from seeing obstacles any more than any other four wheeler?

#26 ·
Herky said:
Okay, so the C-pillars shouldn't be a problem on the trails. Thanks.

How much of a hindrance will the "raised" hood be? Does it really block all that much? Obviously, you deal with what you have in a vehicle, and no vehicle is perfect or else we'd all be driving the same one...but does the hood prevent you from seeing obstacles any more than any other four wheeler?
From what I remember sitting in the FJ frontal vision isn't too bad even with the hood. Now, I am 6' tall so that might make a difference since all the reviews I've read so far complain about the hood and the tail vision.

- LC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.