Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all, i'm needing the help and experience of you guys on this one. As the title says, my 2010 has developed a intermittent growling sound/slight vibration once i reach around 45-50 mph. It is like clock work and will happen every time. It surges in and out when driving and holding any speed over 45 mph or even accelerating for that matter. I just replaced both front wheel bearing/hub assemblies, and this did not fix the issue. As i drove today, if I had to try to isolate the sound, it miiiiight be coming from the rear of vehicle but really hard to say. I also recently replaced the rear differential fluid with BG 75w90. This issue started up a couple months after doing a 3" lift and installing larger heavier tires, thus making me think it could have been the wheel bearings going bad, etc. I had one person state that I should drain rear differential fluid and go to a 75w140, to add thicker viscosity. I really just don't know the route to take on this one and trying to avoid taking to a shop if I don't have to. Thank you in advance.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,836 Posts
That sounds like a transmission issue, like shudder, especially if it’s not locking up and is shifting up and down. How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a transmission issue, like shudder, especially if it’s not locking up and is shifting up and down. How many miles are on it?
Just turned 150k. It doesn't have a shudder that I know of. Previous to buying the FJ, I had a Mazda CX9 that had transmission shudder and it was way different than this. I won't rule it out though. Ive had the FJ 6 months or so and it didn't start doing this until a couple months ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another added piece to the puzzle, it will still make the noise when coasting down a hill. I even took it out of gear and into Neutral and it continues to make the noise. Making me think is differential or transfer case? Thoughts?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I made a thread for something very similar, behaved like front wheel bearings, but new bearings didn't make it go away...

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK all, i'm needing the help and experience of you guys on this one. As the title says, my 2010 has developed a intermittent growling sound/slight vibration once i reach around 45-50 mph. It is like clock work and will happen every time. It surges in and out when driving and holding any speed over 45 mph or even accelerating for that matter. I just replaced both front wheel bearing/hub assemblies, and this did not fix the issue. As i drove today, if I had to try to isolate the sound, it miiiiight be coming from the rear of vehicle but really hard to say. I also recently replaced the rear differential fluid with BG 75w90. This issue started up a couple months after doing a 3" lift and installing larger heavier tires, thus making me think it could have been the wheel bearings going bad, etc. I had one person state that I should drain rear differential fluid and go to a 75w140, to add thicker viscosity. I really just don't know the route to take on this one and trying to avoid taking to a shop if I don't have to. Thank you in advance.
Not sure if this helps, but on my 2011 I developed a huge vibration / tire like noise on the way back from Vegas. Only at speeds of 60+ or higher. Got out several times to check tires and body but could not determine the source. Then weeks later when I bought my new 2014, I was talking with the Toyota Fleet Manager and they told me the source was the plastic cover right over the entire top part of the windshield. As part of the purchase deal for the 2014, they checked out the 2011, and sure enough, some of the plastic clips holding the plastic top in place had broken. They replaced the clips and no more vibrations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts