Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I experienced something Sunday I'm just not familiar with. My wife and I took a detour up Lime Creek on Sunday on our way home from Holy Cross.

We ran into a few snow fields that while only 8-12 inches, were super wet, dense stuff, difficult to make it through on your first try going uphill on a ~15 degree slope.

Ended up running into each and bringing YinYang to around 5k consistent RPMs while I was still progressing forward each time. Had to back and reengage three times for each of the two snow fields. Consistently, at around 5k steady RPMs, the engine sounded like it was hesitating or cutting out intermittently. Imagine a solid tone five seconds long, punctuated by drops in the tone at random intervals. Bizarre.

Was wondering what is going on here.

Background:

New Amsoil (5k ago)
New Amsoil filter (2k ago)
New TRD filter (factory oiled, not overoiled by me) (4k ago)
New plugs (7k ago)
URD Y pipe
New Driver's side forward cat (warranty)
Premium gas only
BFG TA/KO 33" tires
Slope was ~15-18 degrees
Altitude was around 11,000 feet
Temperature was about 65 degrees

Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Could be the rev limiter kicking in. Although I think redline is at 5500 rpm. Try going that high in the rpm's around home and see what happens. Could be the really high altitude you were at.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the rev limiter kicking in. Although I think redline is at 5500 rpm. Try going that high in the rpm's around home and see what happens. Could be the really high altitude you were at.
It could be the altitude, though I live at 9200 feet. The beauty of doing it through snow is that there was a load on the motor and it was a very steady RPM - coupled with the fact that I was barely moving and certainly not enough to be rattling all the camping crap or other parts around and the cutout was very clear.

I'll try to find a decent means of testing it up here and see if I can get it to repeat.

Thanks FJLarry

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I might be way off but check your oil level. Did the oil light intermitenly (sp?) turn on or flash during that time? At that angle and at that high RPM it could be that you had no oil left in the oil pan. Again I might be waaayyyyy off, but couldn't hurt to look.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
If I had to bet, I would guess you were bouncing off the rev limiter as well. No worries.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
734 Posts
I will also hop on the rev limiter bandwagon.
there are 3 ways that i know that you can experience this hesitation.
excessive fuel dump (which is experienced at high rpm), traction control kicking in (not postitive about the fj, but a huge number of cars cuts of torque/fuel when you break traction), and rev limiter.. my guess is the rev limiter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts