Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to FJ Forum. Great site. I actually found this site while searching for some help with my 2007 FJ. And as it turned out I found some very useful and informative info. And as such, I thought I would contribute in return.

Let me tell you the problem I had. About 2 months ago my FJ started having power steering failure. At first it just happened for a second and then disappeared. Then it became more persistent and eventually it was pretty much a continual failure. Basically when engine was running and you turned the wheel, it was as if the power steering would in effect turn off, then on, off, on, off, on.... This was as you turned the wheel. Whether sitting still or driving down the road. The pump sounded fine (no noise), fluid level was fine, - however a little dirty, and no leaks anywhere.

I looked around on this site and found some helpfull tips and also looked around in general on google. Everything appeared to lean towards the pump. So I changed the pump (thanks to some helpfull instruction on this forum). Problem was still there. When I changed the pump I also changed the fluid, but to be fair I did not try to clean the system. So armed with some Automatic transmission/power steering cleaner I completely flushed out the system allowing to sit for 1/2 an hour before flushing out cleaner/conditioner and filling with clean fluid.

Problem still there. So I was now getting ready to resort to paying a Toyota mechanic. I figured it must be either a fawlty rack or perhaps even something in the electronics what with all of this speed sensitive steering these days. I talked to Toyota and they were a bit perplexed as well. So it sounded like this was going to be a replacement of parts by trial and error, so I was a little concerned about total bill.

So I thought I would have one more look at the whole system. Right from steering wheel to wheel.

As it turned out, there is a small universal joint on the steering shaft, just before the input shaft to the rack. And on an off chance that this was causing the issue, I doused the joint in oil (no grease fittings). After a lot of oil and a lot of turing the wheel lock to lock (up in the air with motor off) it instantly corrected itself. So I guess when it first started happening it was very sporadic due to possibly a small amountof lubricant still surfacing every now and again. But as time went on, this became less and less and eventually became constant. And as it was a universal joint it only seemed to react at certain points in it's revolution.

Not sure if this is a common problem, but I did read a few posts about problems with intermittent power steering failure. And I can say this was entirely my problem.

So I have it fixed for now, just not sure how long it will last. So I may either need to keep it lubricated every now and again, or replace the joint. Which I think might be a pretty big job.

Anybody ever tried replacing this universal joint on the steering column?? Tricks??

PS just for reference, I live up in the northern climate where we use salt on the roads as if we were trying to paint the roads white with it. And as such, even though I undercoat my FJ every winter, it still looks 50 years old underneath. It's a flaw I found with Japanese vehicles. They just don't seem to be able to stand up to the salt as well. At any account, my FJ has been an excellent vehicle with no problems minus seized brake calipers. 180k kms and still counting.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
welcome.

good info. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 07 I have bought the intermediate shaft but can't find or figure out how to get it off there must be some tool I can take off the three bolts. But can't get the shaft to move tried penetrant but still won't budge If anyone else has done it I haven't been able to find the thread or pics. I am hoping to get good at fixing my wifes 07 so when things happen to my 08 I'll be ready

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have this issue on my '07. Took it to the dealer to do an oil change and (basically) have a pro look at it while it was up... Says its the steering column and the U joint need replacing but he lubed it up and its seemingly much better at the moment. Toyota dealer wants $800CAD to do the job... yikes.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,995 Posts
That little U joint is on my maintenece list - reach up above the drivers side cv axle and give it a healthy wd40 spray with every oil change (3K mi).

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
For those of us in ridiculous winter climates another reason to regularly rinse out the engine bay. Just need water to flow to get rid of the salt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've replaced the lower shaft on mine and it wasn't terrible. Corrosion will make it more difficult to get apart. It's been a while but I think I loosened the top connector and was able to slide it up to release the shaft then loosened where it connects to the steering rack. Make sure to mark before taking it apart and blocking the steering wheel or the steering wheel will not be straight. I'm sure there is another thread with instructions that I followed. I attached a diagram. PureFJcruiser has links to the FJ repair manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts