Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up our '11 FJC.

we plan on using it to launch our boat, and probably like our last truck, the truck will likely get wet with salt water when launching/recovering the boat.

Our last truck, Land Rover DII, the frame got pretty punky.. as the water can get in, but hard time getting out..and leaves a nice salt film on the inside.. yum.

I would like to prevent this with the FJC...or at least slow it down.

The external panels are not a problem, but I would like to coat the inside of the boxed frame with something. Owning MGs, Waxoyl is a popular product, but also have seen a couple products from eastwood - internal frame coating, and their heavy duty anti rust.

Any comments on any of these, or any other suggestions..

Any application tips or tricks to fully coat the inside of the frame, without making things worse?

Thanks!

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I would try to rig a one of a kind of sprayer(prob a one time use...I've sealed decks using a cheap chemical sprayer and after just thrown it away) and pump POR-15 into every hole in the frame that you see...or find a pro who has the equipment to do such a job

·
Admin
8,477 Posts
Not sure if you have this option in your part of the world but we have all kinds of professional shops that offer rust-proofing.

- Most dealers
- Ming
- Ziebart
... to name a few

I used Ming and saved myself a few hundred dollars in comparison to the Toyota dealer (I got the full package, rust proofing, undercoat spray, fabric protection, and clear coat).

With Ming I got rust-proof for life guarantee with my new corolla. It's a transferable thing and every 2 years I get a re-spray for free.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Fluid Film

·
Registered
297 Posts
I like SwiCago idea best. Keep your FJ (or any vehicle for that matter) out of salt water!

As for treating the inside of the frame with something, I've done this in the past with several frames. I've used the spray nozzle modification to spray inside of the frame as well as the entire underside. For the inside I used the Rustoleum heavy rust paint on an old frame and it kept the rust at bay. Still looks good today after years of wheeling the old Jeep.

But salt water is s different story. I'd say clear of the salt water and use the extension idea. You'll bring an early death to your metal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts