Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thank you very much, this will help a lot. will pass the info to the fellow that installs it.
Yeah the instructions are pretty thorough, I think it will be hard for any capable mechanic to get it wrong. Let us all know how the install goes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Package arrived Friday! Thanks again 406cruiser! I'm very excited to get this on but I'm now contemplating replacing the flywheel and main seal while I'm in there. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Package arrived Friday! Thanks again 406cruiser! I'm very excited to get this on but I'm now contemplating replacing the flywheel and main seal while I'm in there. Any suggestions?
Nice sounds like lots of people are getting them. A few on the TacomaForums have got the kit installed and are loving it.

I did not replace the flywheel. Just resurfaced it and bolted it back up with new flywheel bolts. I think the OE flywheel is a good weight for the driving characteristics most people use their FJ for. I did also replace the main seal while I was in there since my engine is at 170k. There was no sign of leaking but I figured since I was in there I may as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Will this work if I just did the URD kit with a new fly wheel and a stage III clutch. It’s worse now than before I got to fix so called

·
Desert Moderator
6,220 Posts
I've ordered mine - & it's on its way.
Fingers crossed that my mechanic doesn't fcuk the install up...

·
Desert Moderator
6,220 Posts
OK, so the teardown started on my clutch today... these are the photos sent through by the workshop.

This is the fork and half of the release bearing.... not in a good state.

Here's the other half of the bearing... wish I had a photo of the other side of this half...

Notice anything wrong with the fingers on the pressure plate compared with the new one?

A better look...

I don't have a pic of the snout yet. Hopefully they take one before they install the clutchmasters kit.
From the pics, you can see the uneven wear on the fingers - this has to be a direct result of the non linear push of the lever against the release bearing.
The big questions are:
Snout damage? How much?
Was the bearing damaged by dust (there was a LOT of sand in the bell housing), or was it damaged by the non- linear push from the fork, or a combination?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Just a heads up, I have started organizing another group buy for the Clutch Masters internal hydraulic release bearing kits if anyone is interested. Here are the details I posted on TacomaWorld:

Well, here we go again! The first group buy for the Clutch Masters Internal Hydraulic Release Bearing kit for the 2nd Gen Toyota Tacoma and FJ Cruiser 6-Speed transmissions was a hit. We had over 40 people go in on the group buy and since then many have reported back with raving reviews. If you are just coming across this and are curious about it, there is a detailed thread with lots of discussion here, https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-manual-transmission-fix.624299/ as well as my original thread I posted on the FJ Cruiser Forums, https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/threads/internal-hydraulic-slave-cylinder-upgrade-for-6-speeds.735258/#post-9252052

Clutch Masters has asked me to organize another group buy for them since they thought I was a huge help on the last group buy (also they were hoping to organize a group buy as official TacomaWorld vendors, but never got word back from anyone on how to get setup). Anyway here is what this group buy will be for.

http://www.clutchmasters.com/n16078-h-toyota-tacoma-and-fj-cruiser-6-speed-ra60-ra61/

As of now I currently have about 2500 miles on the kit since installation and have had zero issues or any concern of any issues arising. I have daily driven my rig with it in stop and go traffic, and I have done some slow speed crawling and the clutch system just feels so much better and easier to modulate the peddle. I think the overall consensus from what I have heard back from people who have installed it and what feedback Clutch Masters has had is everyone thinks this upgrade is a hit.

Alright down to brass tax, here are the group buy details:

- 10 people to commit to purchasing the kit, the price will go from $475 to $425. $50 off an optional clutch kit if added. A custom billet oil cap can be added for $30.

- 15 people commit to purchasing a kit the price will be $375. $100 off optional clutch kit if added. Billet oil cap can be added for $20.

- 20 people commit, the price will be $375. Clutch kit will be $100 off. Billet oil cap will be free to everyone who partakes in the group buy.

The last time everyone got a free billet oil cap and they all turned out awesome it looked like! Clutch Masters does all their machining, anodizing and laser engraving in house so custom options are possible, however last time just a simple TRD logo was by far the most popular option!

http://www.clutchmasters.com/toyota-billet-aluminum-oil-cap/

As before, we'll let the group buy run for a couple of weeks. I will also post a group buy update on the fjcruiserforums and the people who commit over there will count towards the final group buy number as well.

After two weeks is up and we have a final tally of commitments, I will get a discount code from the guys at Clutch Masters and distribute them via PMs to those who have committed. You can then go to their website and purchase the hydraulic bearing kit, add a clutch kit if you desire, and add the oil cap as well, and use the coupon for it all.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a heads up, I have started organizing another group buy for the Clutch Masters internal hydraulic release bearing kits if anyone is interested. Here are the details I posted on TacomaWorld:

Well, here we go again! The first group buy for the Clutch Masters Internal Hydraulic Release Bearing kit for the 2nd Gen Toyota Tacoma and FJ Cruiser 6-Speed transmissions was a hit. We had over 40 people go in on the group buy and since then many have reported back with raving reviews. If you are just coming across this and are curious about it, there is a detailed thread with lots of discussion here, https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-manual-transmission-fix.624299/ as well as my original thread I posted on the FJ Cruiser Forums, https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/threads/internal-hydraulic-slave-cylinder-upgrade-for-6-speeds.735258/#post-9252052

Clutch Masters has asked me to organize another group buy for them since they thought I was a huge help on the last group buy (also they were hoping to organize a group buy as official TacomaWorld vendors, but never got word back from anyone on how to get setup). Anyway here is what this group buy will be for.

http://www.clutchmasters.com/n16078-h-toyota-tacoma-and-fj-cruiser-6-speed-ra60-ra61/

As of now I currently have about 2500 miles on the kit since installation and have had zero issues or any concern of any issues arising. I have daily driven my rig with it in stop and go traffic, and I have done some slow speed crawling and the clutch system just feels so much better and easier to modulate the peddle. I think the overall consensus from what I have heard back from people who have installed it and what feedback Clutch Masters has had is everyone thinks this upgrade is a hit.

Alright down to brass tax, here are the group buy details:

- 10 people to commit to purchasing the kit, the price will go from $475 to $425. $50 off an optional clutch kit if added. A custom billet oil cap can be added for $30.

- 15 people commit to purchasing a kit the price will be $375. $100 off optional clutch kit if added. Billet oil cap can be added for $20.

- 20 people commit, the price will be $375. Clutch kit will be $100 off. Billet oil cap will be free to everyone who partakes in the group buy.

The last time everyone got a free billet oil cap and they all turned out awesome it looked like! Clutch Masters does all their machining, anodizing and laser engraving in house so custom options are possible, however last time just a simple TRD logo was by far the most popular option!

http://www.clutchmasters.com/toyota-billet-aluminum-oil-cap/

As before, we'll let the group buy run for a couple of weeks. I will also post a group buy update on the fjcruiserforums and the people who commit over there will count towards the final group buy number as well.

After two weeks is up and we have a final tally of commitments, I will get a discount code from the guys at Clutch Masters and distribute them via PMs to those who have committed. You can then go to their website and purchase the hydraulic bearing kit, add a clutch kit if you desire, and add the oil cap as well, and use the coupon for it all.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!
Count me in

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
An update to the group buy happening, we have about 16 people now. So anyone else who might want to join in on the group buy will get the full $100 discount on the hydraulic release bearing kit. Looks like we'll hit 20 pretty easily too so everyone should be getting a free oil cap!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I just saw your post,
OK, so the teardown started on my clutch today... these are the photos sent through by the workshop.
View attachment 1118497
This is the fork and half of the release bearing.... not in a good state.
View attachment 1118498
Here's the other half of the bearing... wish I had a photo of the other side of this half...
View attachment 1118499
Notice anything wrong with the fingers on the pressure plate compared with the new one?
View attachment 1118501
A better look...
View attachment 1118502
I don't have a pic of the snout yet. Hopefully they take one before they install the clutchmasters kit.
From the pics, you can see the uneven wear on the fingers - this has to be a direct result of the non linear push of the lever against the release bearing.
The big questions are:
Snout damage? How much?
Was the bearing damaged by dust (there was a LOT of sand in the bell housing), or was it damaged by the non- linear push from the fork, or a combination?
I somehow missed this post, holy smokes that's crazy. I thought mine was bad, but that's another level. How did everything else look and were you able to get the CM kit installed!?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Will this work if I just did the URD kit with a new fly wheel and a stage III clutch. It’s worse now than before I got to fix so called
It will work with URD kit. Group Buy is live now, let me know if you're still interested!

·
Desert Moderator
6,220 Posts
I just saw your post,

I somehow missed this post, holy smokes that's crazy. I thought mine was bad, but that's another level. How did everything else look and were you able to get the CM kit installed!?
CM kit went in no probs. Working fine - Clutch feels a bit different - not better or worse than stock - lighter though.
No issues on modulation or feel. On release you can feel the accumulator doing its thing.
Seems to have less slip than when the FJ was brand new - likely due to lack of pre-load from the release bearing...
I've had a bit of slip but that's only when I've been giving it death - and I have the 98 RON Raptor tune, so much more power & torque than stock/new.
Replacement parts all stock apart from the CM kit.

Only suggestion would be to supply hard lines rather than the flexible lines - I see these as the only possible weakness.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
CM kit went in no probs. Working fine - Clutch feels a bit different - not better or worse than stock - lighter though.
No issues on modulation or feel. On release you can feel the accumulator doing its thing.
Seems to have less slip than when the FJ was brand new - likely due to lack of pre-load from the release bearing...
I've had a bit of slip but that's only when I've been giving it death - and I have the 98 RON Raptor tune, so much more power & torque than stock/new.
Replacement parts all stock apart from the CM kit.

Only suggestion would be to supply hard lines rather than the flexible lines - I see these as the only possible weakness.
Great to hear you got the kit installed and all is working well!

Yeah hard lines would of course be the ideal solution and something I did discuss with CM. Developing a fixture for bending the lines and then being able to package the line were the main difficulties to overcome. It would go from fitting in a 12" box to needing a special box at least 40" long. But the stainless soft lines are DOT approved and have a working life of over 10 years so there should be very little concern with the lines that come with the kit.

·
Desert Moderator
6,220 Posts
Great to hear you got the kit installed and all is working well!

Yeah hard lines would of course be the ideal solution and something I did discuss with CM. Developing a fixture for bending the lines and then being able to package the line were the main difficulties to overcome. It would go from fitting in a 12" box to needing a special box at least 40" long. But the stainless soft lines are DOT approved and have a working life of over 10 years so there should be very little concern with the lines that come with the kit.
10 years on road cars maybe. Flopping around as I huck it off everything that is huckable and then some - let's see.
Even a shorter soft line that joins where the old slave cylinder came off would be better, but to add a hard line section from the old slave junction to the internal wouldn't be very long and would prob still fit in the box?

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
making your own hard lines is easy, you can buy copper nickel tubing from Fedhill USA, and any necessary fittings

The cu-ni tubing bends easily by finger pressure (much easier than steel, or stainless steel, and will never crack like stainless can, or rust like steel will, and is just as strong), and is very resistant to kinking, though using a mandrel to bend it is also fine.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts