Thanks!

#4 ·
Does Larry know about this??:worried:

#8 ·
Good stuff.:king:

#9 ·
Awesome, great idea guys.

#10 ·
Watch for an upcoming article in the FJC Mag about the difference between a trip, an adventure and an expedition....because if there is one thing I am learning on this Continental Divide Expedition is there is a serious difference.
While I love the fact that "expedition" concept is growing in popularity I think "overlanding" needs to be the term we use more often. That better describes what we do....but expeditions are what come to mind so we use the term.

No matter what thanks for creating this area and I will do my best to help fill it up!

#11 ·
Would you please clarify the difference between an expedition and maybe a 3-4 day trail run? We have trail runs already in the forum, so what's the difference? I am in no way complaining, I just want to post in the right place the next time I do an expedition/trail run.

Thanks for setting it up.

#12 ·
It's not how many days you go for, it's what you go for that makes it an expedition. It can be an hour, a week or a year. If your trip has a purpose such as exploration research or information collecting, it is an expedition. Don't believe me? Go look up the definition on Websters or Wikipedia.

So, get on with it already and lets see some expedition posts. I wanna go...:cheers:

#13 ·
I agree completely .....
There are actually 2 things going on here...
Real Expeditions
Expedition style wheeling

Real Expeditions have a goal or a purpose to the other that recreation...I am currently on the Continental Divide Expedition and it has 3 goals:
1) Follow the Continental Divide from Canada to Mexico
2) Do so on dirt as much as possible in the time we have (if more time was aval we could improve the route to be both closer to the CD and on more dirt
3) Demostrate to other handicap folks that they can get outdoors also and to inspire & enable them to do so

Expedition style wheeling has more to do with the build direction you take...
1) closer to stock for reliability and ease of access for replacement parts on long or remote journeys
2) Build for long distance travel & comfort over many days
3) Not taking on any obsticle just because it is there but more thinking in terms of keeping your rig running since you are "dependant" on it
4) Self suficent (sp?) basic tools, parts & recovery gear and the knowledge to use them since you will be remote
5) Camping, lots of camping

So since most folks won't travel with a goal or purpose that is why I say "overlanding" is a better term, but we all like the term "expedition" so that is what we use.

After my trip is over (22 days on the trail) I plan to talk about lessons learned, gear reviews, thoughts on wgt, storage, mileage, spare parts, and most important - habits that you need when traveling for an extended time while dependant on your rig.

But for now you can follow our journey as we progress southbound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.