Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum as a member, but have already spent more time here in the shadows than I would ever like to admit lurking and learning, figured it was about time to contribute.

I am a young mechanical engineer (please don't hold it against me, I work in manufacturing so the design issues aren't my fault), married to an amazing wife who supports and enjoys my off road passions, and have an awesome 4 month old son. We live in NW Iowa, but I grew up in Dallas and she grew up in Boise so getting used to northern weather and lifestyle (snow is actually pretty sweet, and cold is way easier to deal with than heat).

Pre-kid, my wife and I did a lot of dual sport riding and camping, riding street motorcycles, sailing, hiking, etc. I grew up modifying and building trucks, classic cars, quads, and such. I really struggle with modding things until they are unreliably over powered, and am working to adjust to modding for adventure/reliability now with a family that will be joining me on my exploits . Que FJ

I purchased my '07 black cherry, 6MT (all vehicles I own are manual, and will keep it that way until there is no other possible way), with 140k miles from my father who purchased it 4 years ago in Dallas when he moved to northern WI. It has a good fresh set of BFG K02s AT, looks like OEM option rock sliders (not sure, but they look to have been there since day one), TRD exhaust tip (no clue what else of the exhaust system is TRD, but sounds stock to me) and stock other than that as far as I know. It has had routine maintenance done on it, and looks to have been treated well.

Goal with this FJ: I use it for medium off roading (slow and technical, but low risk to major vehicle damage), snow duty, overlanding, medium duty towing (trailers with dual sports, windsurfing boards, kayaks, grills/smokers, construction supplies, and generally stuff under 3500 lbs on a semi regular basis ((average once a month)) and daily driver when its not nice enough to ride a motorcycle. I want to increase reliability, ease of use, and as a tool to improve my enjoyment of my hobbies and lifestyle. And if it looks good doing it, that's a plus.

Things I have done so far (and will add threads to their respective areas after this post with pictures and details for each): New front valance trim (mine flew off going 70, like most people's), repainted the frame with Eastwood rust encapsulater platinum and fresh black frame paint, and designed and built a modular rear box drawer system with mini kitchen thing (very similar to how the 4Runner guys do it with multi-stage pull outs, but FJ sized and easily removable/changeable).

Things I am going to do this weekend: FJ has a super enjoyable throw out bearing whine :rolleyes:, so I will be replacing TOB with URD repair kit, URD heavy flywheel, and URD stage 2 clutch. I have no clue how old the clutch is, and know with my luck if I didn't replace it the clutch would go out 10k miles after sorting out the TOB and I'd end up pulling the tranny again... Also, allegedly the flywheels shouldn't be resurfaced so I picked up the full URD kit to make sure the current flywheel doesn't decided to wreck the fancy new clutch, giving me an opportunity to pull the tranny again and learn to replace all the parts I should have done in the first place... Doing my best to learn from others and not learn everything the hardest way.

Not so distant future: Full fluid change on diffs and tranny, decide on solution for side mirror lights (mine are burned out, and lots of room for improvements on light and looks). Roof rack replacement so its useful for holding stuff, and a windsurfing mount in the mean time for summer.

Thank you for reading through all of this, so as a consolation prize here are some pictures of my FJ in the black hills:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
38,673 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
"Hey!" from Houston.
D

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,137 Posts
Hi MWCruiser07, welcome from Ohio!

·
Premium Member
16,965 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome and great looking ride! I lurked for well over a year before my 1st post so I know the feeling. As you already know, FJ's are amazingly capable vehicles, and after bombing around totally stock for a year I can tell you that with a little bit of lift and slightly taller tires makes they're even more so! I did OME 885 and 895 springs, got close to 3", did 285/70-17 AT TA's and couldn't be happier with the results, on the road as well as off. Of course, OME is just one of several options.
To see some of the places we've gone- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIspHkYseZjgFvz96HkoJg If you are kind enough to subscribe my son Scott (the budding filmmaker) would be thrilled! Al

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome from PA!

"unreliably over powered" sounds like my style... (y)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Welcome from central CO. We are also members of REI, bonus points for you there.

You'll like the FJ. I haven't killed mine yet (after nearly 10 years), and I am a crappy mechanic!

My wife grew up in Melvin, IA. Want to see a small town? Look that one up!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts