Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of mounting a 1000W inverter next to the Yellowtop for efficiency and smaller wire gauge into cab. But I'm not sure of the downside or how to weatherproof it. Anyone done this?
TIA

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
You can do it in the engine room, but I don't think the inverter will last long in the elements! You cannot put it in a case, as it needs to breath..converting voltage causes heat. I personally would not put it there. I know it is easier to run small gauge 110V cable then thicker gauge 12V. See if you can put it in a foot well or maybe under a seat. This would at least reduce the length of 12V cable needed to run it. Worst case, put it in the stock location in the back and only run +12V cable to the back. Find a suitable grounding point near the inverter. This way you only need to run one wire.

Keep us up to date as to which approach you take and how you did it.
Good luck

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I am planning on mounting mine in the horizontal position right up under the glove box. I've checked this location with someone in the passenger seat and it will obviously make the area tighter but not uncomfortable. It will also have plenty of ventilation in that location. As stated above I'd avoid locating it in the engine compartmet if possible.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very good points. The only last ditch effort I will throw out is the air intake area. I would think that would be protected from at least water although not moisture which could cause corrosion etc.. I don't even know if there is room in that area, haven't looked. That not withstanding I think behind the firewall is the way to go.
THANKS!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Find a suitable grounding point near the inverter. This way you only need to run one wire.
I had heard that it's best to run a ground wire (#2) all the way to the battery but if just a hot wire (#2) is OK it seems like the way to go. Thanks again

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Personally, I'd run a #2 back to the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I had heard that it's best to run a ground wire (#2) all the way to the battery but if just a hot wire (#2) is OK it seems like the way to go. Thanks again
Personally, I'd run a #2 back to the battery.
Grounding in the rear is more then adequate for an inverter...Remember, this is not a car amplifier, where the littlest bit of noise will cause poor audio results.
I am pretty sure that a good GND is already back there ... Plus, I really doubt Toyota ran cable from front to back just for the factory inverter, but maybe someone can confirm this?

Anyways...I added the below from Crutchfield
How to Install A Power Inverter

Connecting a small-load power inverter
For current loads of 150 watts or less, you can connect your power inverter by using a cigarette lighter adapter. This is a good way to go if you are only going to use the inverter occasionally and won't be using large equipment.

Connecting a heavy-load power inverter
For powering loads of over 150 watts, you should connect the inverter directly to your car battery. This requires a 4-gauge power cable and draws power directly from the positive battery terminal. An in-line fuse or circuit breaker (typically 80 amp) installed near the battery is a must. Without one, an accidental short circuit could pose a fire hazard and damage your inverter, not to mention your car itself.

Power rings will simplify the connection of the cables to the power source. Unscrew the nut that secures the positive (+) battery terminal to the battery post, slip the power lead terminal over the bolt that secures the battery terminal to the battery post and replace the nut. Do not attach the power lead terminal directly to the battery post.

How and where to ground your inverter
The ground wire should be the same gauge as the power cable and must make direct contact with bare metal of the car or the negative battery terminal.

Look for an existing bolt or screw that makes contact with the car body near the inverter. Remove the bolt or screw, and scrape away any paint or grime. A star washer will help your ground wire maintain solid contact with the car body. Crimp or solder a ring terminal onto the end of the ground wire, slip it underneath the washer, and replace the bolt or screw.

If you can't find a convenient ground screw or bolt, drill a hole for one. Be careful not to drill into the gas tank or a gas or brake line.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
PERSONALLYI would still run a #2 NEG line to the battery for a 1,000W inverter.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had mine under the glove box and had to move it,just didn't give the passanger enough foot room bouncing around on the trail.

I am going to do mine with the ground at the rear fender well.and of course a #2 to batt. with 80 amp inline.from who I have talked to and shown,I was told it would be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts