Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was dark when the work was done- will be hooked up to factory Taco switches next week...
Looks cool!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RubiconSS said:
Dude. It was Dark! Turn the friggin things on! Ahhhh You guys from the Poconos (dropped on your heads)
He will!!!
They actually came w\ 55 and 100W bulbs- He ( MyFJ) was going to put 100's in anyway- so now he is running 2 100W + 2 55 W + headlights as well as a 100W rear IPF backup- It lights up the night now!
When the switches are installed, I'll post up a pic of it at night with everything on...

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
Damageinc said:
He will!!!
They actually came w\ 55 and 100W bulbs- He ( MyFJ) was going to put 100's in anyway- so now he is running 2 100W + 2 55 W + headlights as well as a 100W rear IPF backup- It lights up the night now!
When the switches are installed, I'll post up a pic of it at night with everything on...
No Beers til the electrical is done! When I put the IPF's on my Rubicon (Holy Crap!) Roadside signs were a problem at night. Did the H4 X5 "Fatboy" on the Headlights.

Frigging bright. Wired the IPF 968(110w) Fogs up to the High Beam circuit.
You have to upgrade the harness on the jeep for the 110w (not for 55w)
Upgrade was easy. HID's My ass.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RubiconSS said:
No Beers til the electrical is done! When I put the IPF's on my Rubicon (Holy Crap!) Roadside signs were a problem at night. Did the H4 X5 "Fatboy" on the Headlights.

Frigging bright. Wired the IPF 968(110w) Fogs up to the High Beam circuit.
You have to upgrade the harness on the jeep for the 110w (not for 55w)
Upgrade was easy. HID's My ass.
Yeah- I wired in all of my lights into a painless weatherproofe fuse box on ym Rubi ( like we did on MyFJ's FJ ) and all of the relays in a block.
I upgraded the factory hellas to 100 W bulbs- haven't had a problem with them ( and removed the baffle inside ) now they are 4 x's brighter.
Then I wired in my IPF 900's in the painless with the 130W they came with.
I used one of the stock Hellas on the rear for back up ( had one underneath also but it kept filling with crud.
So I put a weather proof one under the front bumper as a rock light- it rocks when night wheeling.

When we hit the beer- the work stopped!

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
So I just installed PIAA lights in the same place as you've got the IPF lights on the ARB. Where did you splice in the switch power? And do the IPF lights have a relay? If so, where did you mount it? I can't find a spare bolt anywhere.

Thanks!
Teejeaux

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
teejeaux said:
So I just installed PIAA lights in the same place as you've got the IPF lights on the ARB. Where did you splice in the switch power? And do the IPF lights have a relay? If so, where did you mount it? I can't find a spare bolt anywhere.

Thanks!
Teejeaux
Not sure what you mean by switch power-THE IPF's came with a relay but you can buy a Bosch relay ( I try to standardize on my rigs ) at most auto stores ( get the wire portion of the relay that it plugs into ( less than 15$ for both pieces ).
I wouldn't splice into anything else for power since you will more than likely overload a circuit and roast wires= fire on board.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
The PIAA's come with a relay, and all the wiring and harnesses to hook them all up. They say in the instructions to hook the switch power up to somewhere in the lighting loom. If they are foglights, they should be hooked up to the low beam wire, and if they are driving lights, they should be hooked up to the high beam wire. Also, how do I get it through the firewall?

Teejeaux

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
teejeaux said:
The PIAA's come with a relay, and all the wiring and harnesses to hook them all up. They say in the instructions to hook the switch power up to somewhere in the lighting loom. If they are foglights, they should be hooked up to the low beam wire, and if they are driving lights, they should be hooked up to the high beam wire. Also, how do I get it through the firewall?

Teejeaux
ZUZU Cruiser opted to do it so that the lights can be turned on\off when the key is of ( no ignition or light signal )...
I am not familiar with the PIAA harness but it may be set up to tap into your light loom ( with wire taps- little clamshell like things ) so that your relay will get a signal to allow the power circuit to close and illuminate the lights.(more than likely they do ).
As for going through the fire wall- ZUZU also decided to go through the drivers side rubber boot that the wiring that comes in from the engine compartment to the cab interior. It is easiest to pull it out ( located not far from your brake pedal foot up on the firewall ).

If you intend to add more electicals ( CB,more lights,backup light,larger inverter,power outlets etc ) it may be in your best interest to go with the Painless fuse blocks http://www.painlesswiring.com/ ( as ZUZU did )
This eliminates the need to tap into other power sources ( delegates circuites with a fuse and you can attach relays to it to keep everything together in 1 place in addition to a clean install...
Maybe ZUZU can put up some pics of what they did, if you have questions.
To tap into the electriacal signal wore- all you need to do it look for the wire clusters under the hood right inside of the head lamp- marker lights.
ZUZU knows which oned were the power signal wires and can help you there).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
teejeaux said:

Thanks!
Teejeaux
I don' think I answered your question here:
We had originally used a bolt on the drivers side up under the dash way up on the firewall ( if you contort yourself onto your back and lay your head near the pedals and look straight up- you will see a hole ( I can't rmember what size it was )- just fed a bolt through the supplied IPF relay and hung it there until the fuse block was later installed ( he had to rip much of the miring back out to do this corrrectly and placed the relay on the fuse block.
I have a very similiar setup on my jeep that I can take pics of for you, if needed.
The only set of lights that didn't have a harness and relay ( we cut it all up to make it work with the key off ) was the rear PIAA that was purchased from a local ricer shop out of a display. ( typically there would have been 2 and the entire set up ).
ZUZU put in a 100w light- it works great for backing up in the FJ at night.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
That helps a LOT! Thanks much! I'm definitely going to go with the Painless fuse block, that just makes things so much nicer. I'll see if I can find the hole you're talking about under the dash. I was able to find a small hole on what looks to be the front driver wheel well. I used a metal screw and mounted the relay right next to something that looks like a heat sink. I'll be going by the Toyota place to pick up a switch, so I should have them up and running in the near future.

Thanks for the help!
Teejeaux

1 - 15 of 15 Posts