Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased an iPhone 4 from Verizon a couple of weeks ago, and now I have to find a mount for it in my 2009 TTSE.

Of course it needs to be able to actually hold the phone in rough conditions. Does that exist? Or should I just plan on modifying an existing one and screwing it to the Dash permanently?

Because it's an iPhone I feel I have to use it for GPS navigation. That's possible right? Anyone doing that, or should I ignore that possibility and buy a NAV head unit?

I was looking at a Dice MediaBridge to hook up my iPhone to my stock FJammer deck. Is that dumb?

I need hands free, I think I almost drove off the road the other day trying to answer my phone in the car.

Or should I get a non NAV head unit for around $500 with Bluetooth already in it and handsfree etc and iPhone integration?

I'm confused.

/end rambling

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you can get your hands on a 2011 fjammer, it already has the Bluetooth integration. My iPhone auto connects as soon as I start the car. It also plays the iPod feature wirelessly. As far as using the iPhone for gps, I would shy away from it. Unless you managed to get a unlimited data plan from verizon, you will probably burn through your limit pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I use a universal mount that connects to the heater vent. For a navigation app, try Waze. It's an awesome navigation app that let's you report stuff also :bigthumb: my member name on there is athenainnis aka MachineGunBettie :)

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Another thing to consider if you plan to use your phone for GPS is how often do you plan to go offloading?

You only have GPS where you have cell reception..very frequently I find myself at a point while wheeling that I don't have cell reception, or it's the basic edge network and GPS is practically useless.

The phone GPS is a novel idea as long as you have cell reception.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The iPhone has real GPS, not tied to the cellure network. Takes longer and might have to have a program that downloads maps onto the phone to show data, but will work (since the 2G I think).

If I go this route I would need the iPhone to be up nearer the front windshield so it can lock on GPS. Anyone mounted like this? Maybe on the left side by the pillar, or horizontal near the instruments on the dash?

I'm leaning now towards doing some custom mounting of the iPhone and custom run of the USB/AV type cable to the head unit which I will replace with a NON nav unit. I think I can get everything working for around $500 this way.

So my goal is to be able to do all of the following:

iPhone pop in mount that doesn't break/fall off during some pretty extreeme offroading (I drive up mountains for a living).
Hide the iPhone USB/AV cables behind 'stuff' to the head unit.
Bluetooth handsfree (that works and people can hear me)
HD Stereo reception
XM/Serius reception
AV in front and to my two rear mount seat displays from DVD or iPhone source
iPod functionality to the head
Maintain steering wheel controls to the head unit
Backup camera (I keep running into stuff all the time, even with my parking warning sound).

I like the JVC dual din systems that have the blackout screen and the touch sensitivity.

But I've heard their bluetooth microphone sucks big time.

Anyone got a setup like this?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Im just getting a new Alpine headunit, it has some great features. Im planning on just using my iphone for nav, because the headunit doesnt have navigation. My all time favorite touchscreen deck is the new kenwoods. Great navigation through Garmin, and alot of features. Kinda pricey though.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Of course it needs to be able to actually hold the phone in rough conditions. Does that exist? Or should I just plan on modifying an existing one and screwing it to the Dash permanently?
I have the Dice electronics G2 cradle and the Mediabridge and have had no problems with the phone coming loose (and it's not for a lack of trying!) but it is screwed to the dash.

Because it's an iPhone I feel I have to use it for GPS navigation. That's possible right? Anyone doing that, or should I ignore that possibility and buy a NAV head unit?
I use mine with the TomTom app all the time and love it. I found the only place I could get good GPS reception and keep the unit within easy reach is to the left of the steering wheel (see pic) but I imagine that would be true with any GPS app/unit without a remote sensor.

I was looking at a Dice MediaBridge to hook up my iPhone to my stock FJammer deck. Is that dumb?
Mediabridge is pricey, but works extremely well and provides excellent sound. Since the cradle is hardwired it also doubles as a charger.

I need hands free, I think I almost drove off the road the other day trying to answer my phone in the car.
I use a Parrot hands free, but the Mediabridge also has the hands free, for more $$ of course.

Or should I get a non NAV head unit for around $500 with Bluetooth already in it and handsfree etc and iPhone integration?
If you plan on getting or have a full size CB radio, you should be able to install both the CB radio and the aftermarket head unit in the factory head unit bay. I'm looking at CB radios now and almost wish I'd have gone this route instead.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
If you have the Iphone4 and you want hands free... You can get the DDX418 Kenwod, and download the Motion X GPS App. App will come up on the screen of Kenwood. Since you will be mounting your i-phone on dash, you will have all controls via i-phone. It will act as if Nav was built in. Similar to New JVC Models. But Kenwood is 100% compatible with Motion X GPS app and iphone 4.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Go to Proclipsusa.com and they have a mount and holder. It's very sturdy and adjustable. Then go to cablejives.com and they have a cable that plugs into the bottom of the mount and hooks to the aux port and lighter for power. Now the audio from the phone is coming from the bottom which sounds much better. I think it was 130.00 all together for the mounting and cable. I wanted to just drop it in when I get in the truck without plugging anything. I use a bluetooth headset anyway so I was worried about that. Jawbone headsets work well with the iphone4.

Here is a pic but you can pick a different mounting location on their site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts