Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Thats's an interesting way to mount something but I would avoid those clamp style holders. Besides being super bulky and ugly looking, most smartphone type devices have external buttons on the top or side which at best would be rendered inaccessible and at worst would get pressed by the holder.

Edit: Scrolled down and saw the rest of the photos. The clamps are small enough to avoid the side buttons. I still think it's too bulky but if that doesn't bother you it could be a quick and easy way to mount. You may have to be the first to get one and let us know if it falls out.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thats's an interesting way to mount something but I would avoid those clamp style holders. Besides being super bulky and ugly looking, most smartphone type devices have external buttons on the top or side which at best would be rendered inaccessible and at worst would get pressed by the holder.
That is kind of what I was thinking too, however this is not as bulky as I usually see...so I thought I'd check. I also saw this one that could be interesting to find out about.

TETRAX FIXWAY LINE CAR MOUNT HOLDER FOR IPHONE 4G 2G - eBay (item 190484194209 end time Jan-26-11 17:52:52 PST)

You may have to be the first to get one and let us know if it falls out.
Either or!

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heyall,

Has anyone had any experience with this phone/gps mount in the FJ?

It mounts through the in-dash cd slot! Looks all right, but wanted to check if we have anyone with first hand knowledge.

Thanks!

OEM MOUNTEK Car Mount! Apple iPhone 4 4G 3GS CD Dock - eBay (item 150546489223 end time Feb-08-11 20:22:11 PST)
Well, I got this bad boy. So far, I'm liking it. Just put it in use today. It doesn't block much, mostly the CD slot and the screen of the FJammer.

I have a feeling that there will be interference of my phones GPS unit, rendering the function useless but time will tell once I attempt to utilize it. It would be unfortunate a this is one of the reasons for having it there. I need a new phone anyway...

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love it. I switched the colors on the FJammer so I could tell which mode I was in, and use the wheel controls, so the screen blockage is not an issue.

So far no GPS interference either!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Pix?? I'm always buying different mounts. Currently Im using a modded mount that I took apart. It was one that plugged into the 12v plug, so I removed the screws and took it apart, then screwed it into my center console tray (I'm 2wd, so where the 4x4 gear is). It's pretty handy cus the wiring is close to the aux/12v for charging. Only thing is when my dog bumps it... But it's pretty secured into the plastic w a small bolt under the console

Cheap pic:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Love it. I switched the colors on the FJammer so I could tell which mode I was in, and use the wheel controls, so the screen blockage is not an issue.

So far no GPS interference either!
How secure is it in the CD slot? Does it have a lot of play/movement when going over bumps? Just curious.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How secure is it in the CD slot? Does it have a lot of play/movement when going over bumps? Just curious.
It is pretty solid in the slot. I haven't hit any real solid bumps, but even in my Otter Box case it stays well put in the clamps. Without the case it's even tighter.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I don't have first hand experience with this mount. I have the ram iPhone mount and it is solid. I personally don't dig on the "one mount fits all" solutions. Just 2¢. Let us know if you get it.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have first hand experience with this mount. I have the ram iPhone mount and it is solid. I personally don't dig on the "one mount fits all" solutions. Just 2¢. Let us know if you get it.
Yes, I did get it. See posts above regarding my current opinion! I like it...

I maybe switching to an EVO or Atrix phone, so getting an iPhone specific mount wasn't a realistic option at this time.

Sidenote: the new 4g Atrix that AT&T will be selling has a docking mount for vehicles...

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm back in the hunt. This guy after a few weeks just doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. It seems to have loosened up and is kind of bothering me with it inside the CD slot. I am starting to worry about long term damage, because it doesn't stay tight. Just saying...

·
Registered
71 Posts
After searching all over the internet I finally decided on the Proclip mount. On their website you choose the base that fits the FJ then a holder that fits whatever device you want. There are also accessories like a swivel base, double attachment, spacers, etc. It is a little expensive but it is much better quality than the others, requires no gluing or tape or screws and positions the iphone at the perfect position. I have had mine for a year now and it works great.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After searching all over the internet I finally decided on the Proclip mount. On their website you choose the base that fits the FJ then a holder that fits whatever device you want. There are also accessories like a swivel base, double attachment, spacers, etc. It is a little expensive but it is much better quality than the others, requires no gluing or tape or screws and positions the iphone at the perfect position. I have had mine for a year now and it works great.
Which type did you choose? I don't want to get one that covers the vents...one of them looks like it might just fit what I need, but I can't tell for sure how it is mounted in.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Go to proclipsusa and look at those mounts. I have or will have in a few minutes a pic in my garage. It is secure and charges, plays through the bottom. All I have to do it drop it in.

Sent from my AT100 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I've used a proclip in a couple of cars. The Proclip on my FJ is rock solid, and has been in the FJ for virtually all of its 85,000 miles. You can configure it so it's out of the way of the vent and just high enough that it's not far from your field of vision through the windshield.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts