Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a stock FJammer w/stock sub and was looking to upgrade with an iPod interface units (USA Spec PA15-Toy unit). But at $130 should I just begin to look into replacing the whole head unit?

My requirements would be:

1) iPod / iPhone 4 head unit and steering wheel controls (and charging)
2) Easy plug and play with the FJ wiring (I'm fine with minor electrical, but don't want to get into anything heavy)
3) Bluetooth phone
4) Use of the stock sub
5) Ability to power larger door speakers (tried it with the stock system and it sounded like crap)

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
My personal experience says to go with a full replacement.

I originally purchased the adapter they sell at Best Buy, as it was $70 and all of the online reviews said it was great. Well, it worked fine for my iPod classic, but nothing else. Didn't work for my daughters Nano, nor my Touch, nor a coworkers Video.

After returning that, I bought the USA SPEC. It let everything play, but required new playlists to get it to recognize and didn't work well when transfering between my Touch and Classic ipods.

So I gave that adapter to a buddy with a Tundra and bought myself a replacement head unit.

I went with this one Pioneer FH-P8000BT as it met all of my needs. Automatic bluetooth connection to 3 different phones (I carry 2). Bluetooth audio (when I want to stream Pandora), iPod connectivity, a second aux input for Sat or another option. And Crutchfield had it on sale at the time as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: iPod Inetrface or new head unit?

Thanks for the recommendations. After doing more research I, too, think that a new head unit is the way to go. Unfortunately I can't figure out which head unit. The 8000BT is almost ideal, but I've read that if you upgrade your iPhone operating system you lose USB connectivity to the unit. Bluetooth still works, but bye bye USB interface/control.

I looked at the XR810 JVC, but it's unclear whether or not I can hook up the stereo controls. I'm guessing metra axxess connector will work, but am not sure. I also don't know if the head unit comes with an adaptor that will allow an install--do most come with a universal kit or are there other parts needed?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I have an iPhone 4 and added a Dice integration kit (for iPod) and a Parrot CK3000 for phone via Bluetooth.

With the available wiring harnesses the installs were very easy and everything works perfectly. :bigthumb:

Now for the "but"...

I'm now wanting to add a CB radio and wish I didn't have the double DIN factory stereo hogging up all of the space in the dash... :mecry:

Just my $.02

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the original equipment iPod interface in my 2010. I find I don't use it and much prefer just plugging my iPod's earphone out into the auxiliary jack. The iPod user interface is amazingly intuitive. I find the combination of steering wheel and dash buttons required to work the interface connection is not intuitive at all and really too junky to bother with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts