Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Dice. Welcome to the forum. Since the last thread on your equipment for the FJ has got quite long, I thought I would start another one in your forum where you can answer some questions for me.

I am ready to buy all the connectivity gear, as well as the docking station from you guys based on a few things.

- Does it display info on the FJammer head unit? If so, to what extent?

- What input does it use; the SAT or CD changer port? If it's the CD port, does that prohibit the use of the CD player?

- Can I leave the iPod in the docking station with the truck turned off without sapping the battery on the iPod or will the iPod still "see" the iPod as being turned on?

- Are the steering wheel controls still utilized and if so, how extensively does it control the iPod. For instance; can you change albums as well as tracks, or can you just skip tracks after you have selected an album from the iPod?

These were the biggest questions I had pertaining to your gear and it seemed there was so much confilicting info on the last thread that I was hoping to get the answers straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hey Dice. Welcome to the forum. Since the last thread on your equipment for the FJ has got quite long, I thought I would start another one in your forum where you can answer some questions for me.

I am ready to buy all the connectivity gear, as well as the docking station from you guys based on a few things.

- Does it display info on the FJammer head unit? If so, to what extent?

- What input does it use; the SAT or CD changer port? If it's the CD port, does that prohibit the use of the CD player?

- Can I leave the iPod in the docking station with the truck turned off without sapping the battery on the iPod or will the iPod still "see" the iPod as being turned on?

- Are the steering wheel controls still utilized and if so, how extensively does it control the iPod. For instance; can you change albums as well as tracks, or can you just skip tracks after you have selected an album from the iPod?

These were the biggest questions I had pertaining to your gear and it seemed there was so much confilicting info on the last thread that I was hoping to get the answers straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
I'm also thinking of buying, but Info and pics would be nice

·
Banned
124 Posts
Hello,
The DICE iPod kit will display some of the text information on the FJammer head unit. This includes the song title and artist information, which is accessed by the text button. For the FJammer, the DICE kit will connect through the factory satellite port on the back of the radio. When the truck is on, the iPod will constantly charge, however when it is shutoff, the iPod will itself shut down after about 30 seconds, and not drain any battery from the vehicle or the iPod itself. The steering wheel will change either tracks, playlists, albums, or chapters depending on which CD is selected. For example, when the iPod is playing and CD1 is selected, the steering wheel buttons will change tracks, when CD2 is selected, it will change playlists, CD3 albums, and so on. I hope this answers your questions. For any further questions or concerns, let me know. Thank You

Regards,
Adam @ DICE Electronics

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hello,
The DICE iPod kit will display some of the text information on the FJammer head unit. This includes the song title and artist information, which is accessed by the text button. For the FJammer, the DICE kit will connect through the factory satellite port on the back of the radio. When the truck is on, the iPod will constantly charge, however when it is shutoff, the iPod will itself shut down after about 30 seconds, and not drain any battery from the vehicle or the iPod itself. The steering wheel will change either tracks, playlists, albums, or chapters depending on which CD is selected. For example, when the iPod is playing and CD1 is selected, the steering wheel buttons will change tracks, when CD2 is selected, it will change playlists, CD3 albums, and so on. I hope this answers your questions. For any further questions or concerns, let me know. Thank You

Regards,
Adam @ DICE Electronics
Thanks Adam. Anyone out there have this setup with pictures and location. This sounds like the right setup for me.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,

Regards,
Adam @ DICE Electronics
Thanks Adam.

Yeah..had seen that bill, was just looking to get all the answers in one place from the source.

·
Registered
358 Posts
OK, here's a dilemma.

If I shut off my car w/ the FJammer on anything BUT CD1, it won't find CD1 when restart the car. Hence, I only get AUX and CD. I have to put the FJammer on CD, shut off the car, and then restart the car for CD1 to come back. Now that's a pain. Any way around this or do I always have to turn off the car in CD or CD1?

·
Banned
124 Posts
Hello,
If you turn off the radio first, and then shutoff the car, will it do the same thing if it wasn't turned off on CD or CD1 mode? Also, how are your dip switches on the module currently set? If you have them all OFF in the UP position, you may want to try the second car switch ON in the DOWN position. However disconnect the DICE module before changing any switches. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Thank You

Best Regards,
Adam @ DICE Electronics

·
Registered
358 Posts
i'll give it a try tonite.

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
I'm also thinking of buying, but Info and pics would be nice
I highly recommend calling DICE directly to order the unit. That way there's no confusion whatsoever about your brand of Toyota. I was very specific about having a FJC when I talked to their rep. You can find the 1-800 number on their site under "Contact Us." Here's the Pics of my install:

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I have lived with this for about three weeks now so I'll weigh in on Dice. Bottom line is this product is great. I wanted the ability to hide my ipod nano in the glove box but be able to see which song was next. Unlike most people, I don't use my nano for jogging or traveling through airports. I use it as a database for keeping my music in the FJ.

It's true that sometimes the Fjammer "forgets" that the ipod is connected. In this case you turn the vehicle off and it usually "finds" the Dice adaptor the next start up. I consider this a minor annoyance in comparsion to having to shut the ipod off everytime you turn off the FJ (aux cable hook up). The steering wheel controls work great and although the text doesn't scroll you see enough of the text to know which song is coming up. I consider the product a worth while investment and I believe most of the bugs have been worked out. The people of DICE are great at helping you out if there's a problem. Bottom line if you've been waiting for the bugs to be worked out, I think it's safe to say that you can pull the trigger.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I highly recommend calling DICE directly to order the unit. That way there's no confusion whatsoever about your brand of Toyota. I was very specific about having a FJC when I talked to their rep. You can find the 1-800 number on their site under "Contact Us." Here's the Pics of my install:

Great pics. thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
i'll give it a try tonite.
Did changing the dips help you at all?

I just hooked mine up tonight and I have the same problem. I find this very annoying. I can understand where you're coming from if you say it's better than doing the ipod though the aux port. But damn, I want it to work. When I get in my car with a friend, I don't want to have to explain to them why I had to start my car twice.

I also don't seem able to get artist information. I get the song title okay, but that's it.

Also, is it correct that I can't play CDs in the deck with the dice unit connected?

I don't know, I was hoping the dice unit would get me by until somebody produced an affordable, in-dash nav unit with good ipod support. Maybe I should just ditch that ideah.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hello,
If you turn off the radio first, and then shutoff the car, will it do the same thing if it wasn't turned off on CD or CD1 mode? Also, how are your dip switches on the module currently set? If you have them all OFF in the UP position, you may want to try the second car switch ON in the DOWN position. However disconnect the DICE module before changing any switches. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Thank You

Best Regards,
Adam @ DICE Electronics
OK, but sorry, NO DICE. That didn't work.

Here's my experience after spending yet another 30 min this evening tearing my dash apart and debugging this "product".

Test 1
SWITCH: UP UP
Up until this Monday it was working fine. I could see text and manually manipulate playlists directly on the iPod. The biggest problem was that if I don't shut down the car in DISC mode, the CD1 input disappears. The only way to get it back is to shut the car down in DISC mode, instead of FM or AM.

To make matters worse, as of Monday I no longer could manually manipulate the playlists. The only thing I did was update my podcasts, no other changes. The text still worked though.

Test 2
SWITCH: UP DOWN
Does not solve the CD1 disappearing issue. As long as I wait more than 45 seconds before restarting the car, the DICE seems to forget that there was even a CD1 input unless I shut the FJ off in CD1 mode. To make matters worse, the text feature disappeared. But now I can manually manipulate playlists.

Test 3
SWITCH: UP UP again
No change, operates exactly as Test 2. Now I am about to blow a gasket.

Test 4
SWITCH: DOWN DOWN
I get back my text and have manual control of playlists.

OK Adam, what gives? I can't seem to get this thing to consistently operate. Honestly, after a few months of use, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone until it's tested more. When it works, it's great. But for it to all of sudden fail and I have to spend time debugging it is ridiculous. And having to turn off my car just to get the CD1 input is crazy.

I didn't do a SWITCH DOWN UP. I give up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts