Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have been following this for awhile and now that we got vendor status it's finally time to do it!

We are completing the prototype stage of our custom skid plates and soon will have them in production!

Here's some pictures of the prototypes:

Front skid plate (over the stock piece. Notice it doesn't lower the approach angle unlike the Toyota optional skid plate!)

Fuel tank skid plate (over the stock resin piece to provide plenty of protection)

Engine and transmission skid plates.

The prototypes have been thoroughly tested and functioned flawlessly even over rough terrain. We're currently redesigning a few spots, particularly the exposed bolts and some mounting problems with the fuel tank skid plate. We should be ready to sell these puppies soon!

Keep an eye on this thread. I will update it as this goes on.

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
speechlessly beautiful.....But the front skid plate is still crooked like the toyota...:blueblob:

I assume these are all aluminum?

How about projected price range ?????

Do they come powdercoated too ????

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dau666 said:
speechlessly beautiful.....But the front skid plate is still crooked like the toyota...:blueblob:

I assume these are all aluminum?

How about projected price range ?????

Do they come powdercoated too ????
We're still working out the mounting issues ;) Trust me, I'm a perfectionist, so these things will hopefully mount up perfect. Of course, I can't control if the mounting points are different from the bumper due to slight differences when they mount everything up.

All aluminum with stainless grade 8 hardware.

Projected price range should be $150-250 per plate I believe but that's just a rough ballpark. I'll know more once we're done with the final prototypes.

We're going to sell them in plain aluminum. Powder coating is something we could look into as well as anodizing. I got a few other tricks up my sleeve I'm planning too ;)

- Patrick

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
san antonio fj said:
very nice, how thick are the panels
Those are 1/4" thick. I hit some big rocks with these things with the Trail Teams and they got a few scratches but no dents. Even the Trail Team guys were impressed with our design over their TLC designed plates.

- Patrick

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Oh sweet, I remember asking you about this at the Trail Event. From seeing these first hand.... They are SWEET!!!!

Are you takin order???

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would want one as shown inpic.4 I like that continuataion flow.
How easy are they to install.
Do I have to discard my stock one?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'll be watching the progress. Armor is my first priority. Lift and bumpers will depend on how quickly I bash the bumpers ;-)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I like these. Hopefully when its all said and done you will have a nice "full armor" package so I can get them all at once and save a couple of bucks. I have lots of wants for the FJ and plan to just slowly buy them all until I am satisfied I have everything I need, then spend a week off work doing nothing but building it up. I like these plates, will look great on my FJ :D

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to answer some questions quickly (sorry I haven't been around, just found out the wifey's pregnant and I had to trade in my beloved STi in on a new '06 VW Jetta GLI over the weekend and have been taking the wife to doctors appointments... Busy!):

These do not cover the exaust crossover unfortunately. I was thinking about making a "wing" to do so and add a little protection to the transfer case but it would lessen your overall ground clearance since the crossover is the lowest point on the truck. Maybe I should make a poll since we're still at a point we could do some minor redesigning if we need to.

As far as price, still waiting on that. I will be making a thread soon for people who want on a order list though. There will definitely be a package price for the whole set.

As far as needing to remove the stock pieces, the stock engine skid plate will have to come out but the stock front plate does not need to be removed. We're working out a way to make the mid (engine) plate easily removed for easy 1 man access to the oil drain.

Stay tuned and sorry about the lack of updates!!

- Patrick

·
Registered
97 Posts
Finally some decent skid plates!! My front skid is all bashed up already... Any possiblity of these in steel??

·
Registered
613 Posts
Noticed those at the Reiter Trails event, they looked great!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hey not so much into stainless, will they come in black metal or some other composit material other than stainless or Aluminum?

·
Registered
97 Posts
My original factory front skid plate is deformed pretty bad. I took the plate off to repaint and knock the dents out. The bolt holes don't align anymore. I'm using only 2 bolts to hold it up right now.

Do I NEED the original front skid plate to be in it's place to install your skid plate? Or can I remove it and just put in the new one?

·
Registered
384 Posts
The original does a decent job but if someone will make a replacement that doesnt eat your clearance up...like maybe with this kit..it would be great.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
The plates look great so far. Keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts