Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hey Patrick, great looking plates. You've got another customer here...just let me know when I can get my hands on them. Have you thought about doing a group package w/ a little forum member discount?

One question though. Do you happen to know the weight of each section? Just curious to do the math on added weight. Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Lost Cosmonaut said:
Those are 1/4" thick. I hit some big rocks with these things with the Trail Teams and they got a few scratches but no dents. Even the Trail Team guys were impressed with our design over their TLC designed plates.

- Patrick
HOw does 1/4 alum compare to 3/16 steel? Does your front plate attach to the frame? how would your plate fit with the ARB sheet that comes with the front Bumper?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Lost Cosmonaut said:
Just to answer some questions quickly (sorry I haven't been around, just found out the wifey's pregnant and I had to trade in my beloved STi in on a new '06 VW Jetta GLI over the weekend and have been taking the wife to doctors appointments... Busy!):

These do not cover the exaust crossover unfortunately. I was thinking about making a "wing" to do so and add a little protection to the transfer case but it would lessen your overall ground clearance since the crossover is the lowest point on the truck. Maybe I should make a poll since we're still at a point we could do some minor redesigning if we need to.

As far as price, still waiting on that. I will be making a thread soon for people who want on a order list though. There will definitely be a package price for the whole set.

As far as needing to remove the stock pieces, the stock engine skid plate will have to come out but the stock front plate does not need to be removed. We're working out a way to make the mid (engine) plate easily removed for easy 1 man access to the oil drain.

Stay tuned and sorry about the lack of updates!!

- Patrick
Maybe an optional piece for the crossover, I personally plan on rerouting the crossover to run between the TC and fuel tank as has been done by a few ppl here so far. Ths will get rid of the whole problem, just as long as the rest of the plates you are making will still bolt up after that move.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
rfjtoy said:
HOw does 1/4 alum compare to 3/16 steel? Does your front plate attach to the frame? how would your plate fit with the ARB sheet that comes with the front Bumper?
1/4 aluminum is less weight than 3/16ths steel and won't rust. Also aluminum tends to handle abrasion better.

The plates do attach to the frame through the use of spacers and grade 8 bolts. It would take alot to get these things to come off.

As far as fitting with the ARB piece, it probably would but I can't say for certain.

Thanks for the interest guys! Sorry for the lack of updates, like I said I've been busy here at home. I've got some updated prototype pictures to show soon to show what we have now. I'll get those up in the next couple days.

Thanks,
- Patrick

·
Registered
384 Posts
Actually, you might consider offering a setup to relocate the crossover with this kit, that way you can make a skid for the diff. also, I see your fuel tank skid has a plate that goes in front, this will be great if relocating crossover as it will help sheild tank from heat. You could then make a small plate to connect the others over the newly moved crossover, making a smooth bottom with no gap to get caught on. Just a thought, I know if that setup was offered, it would be the one I bought.

114 Posts
Race it in the Baja 500

Patrick--sent you a PM about your skid plate setup for the 4WD Toyota Owner magazine FJ Cruiser we are racing in the Baja 500. Email me back at when you get a chance--thank you!

Dave

·
Banned
505 Posts
. We're working out a way to make the mid (engine) plate easily removed for easy 1 man access to the oil drain.- Patrick
I'd suggest adding some truly engineered cut-outs that allow us access to more than just the oil pan plug. (zerk fittings and anything that needs to be changed fluid-wise if possible)
This last engineering challenge seems to be something that fabricators either miss, don't want to mess with or (I suppose) deem 'impossible'.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Very NIce LC !!!! Very Nice !!!... Congrates on a great design !!!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I was wondering if there is anything new? Are you finalizing the plate? Pricing? Inquiring minds want to know?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Re: Race it in the Baja 500

Patrick--sent you a PM about your skid plate setup for the 4WD Toyota Owner magazine FJ Cruiser we are racing in the Baja 500. Email me back at when you get a chance--thank you!

Dave

Your magazine is sponsoring it's own FJ Cruiser? Exactly how is your magazine involved other than coverage?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hey Patrick, great looking plates. You've got another customer here...just let me know when I can get my hands on them. Have you thought about doing a group package w/ a little forum member discount?

One question though. Do you happen to know the weight of each section? Just curious to do the math on added weight. Thanks.
Hey look, I'm quoting myself. Why? Because now I'm not sure you've got another customer. Why you ask again? Because what the heck is going on with these plates?

I've been out of it for a while, but I figured these would be a done deal...yet I can't seem to find any info about ready products. What gives? Someone help me out please. I'm pressing because now Demello says he's got some coming to market soon and I would be lying if I didn't say that if his plates are on par with the other products his shop produces, I'll probably be going with his as soon as they are ready. Sooooo, am I out to lunch and these things are available or does it look like I'll be sporting non-IMP skid plates in the near future? Again, inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey look, I'm quoting myself. Why? Because now I'm not sure you've got another customer. Why you ask again? Because what the heck is going on with these plates?

I've been out of it for a while, but I figured these would be a done deal...yet I can't seem to find any info about ready products. What gives? Someone help me out please. I'm pressing because now Demello says he's got some coming to market soon and I would be lying if I didn't say that if his plates are on par with the other products his shop produces, I'll probably be going with his as soon as they are ready. Sooooo, am I out to lunch and these things are available or does it look like I'll be sporting non-IMP skid plates in the near future? Again, inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
Hey man, and everyone for that matter, I'm sorry about how this all has worked out. At least I never took anyones money and ran! :D

Here's the deal as it stands now:

I still want to make skid plates.

Here's what stood in my way all these months:

My wife got pregnant, my normal business suddenly became super busy affording me almost no time for side stuff like this, my main computer that had all my important files on it completely died and I almost lost everything, and this month one of our most important employees died suddenly dumping everything she was handling in our laps. It's been a tough couple months here. Heck, we weren't even able to go to SEMA like we wanted :(

BUT there's good news.

We've got two new employees coming in and they will be taking some of the pressure off of me so I can start really pushing stuff like this. I'm planning on getting back into this scene and getting some stuff done for once!

I'm sorry again for all this jerking around. I know I made a lot of promises in the past but I'm really planning on getting something done this time. With more pressure taken off in my main line of business, it'll give me much more time to focus on what I truly love: playing around with car parts :D

Something will definitely be happening one way or the other in the next week or so. I will be finally uploading all the pictures of the current prototypes and showing them on here since I finally found them after they almost poofed off my computer :(

- LC

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
No worries, sorry if I came off a little gruff...just wanted some updates and now you've provided them. Sorry to hear about the extra headaches, but it looks like things might be looking up for you in the near future.

Well, the good news for you wrt a possible future sale is the fact that I'm a lazy man and can't seem to make up my mind. Therefore, I'm still on the fence and have not purchased any other makers skids yet and would definitely like to see some prototype shots if you've got them (as I'm sure many others would like to see too).

Thanks again for the update and good luck with everything going on.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
:bump: after seeing some pics of your SEMA rig, you need to get this started back up :).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Updates? Didn't do the group buy on Budbuilts, waiting for these!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts