Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldnt pass up the price on the Ironman snorkel direct from their site but before I bought it, I did my research, watched videos and saw that ARB has a different model for 10-14. I verified with Ironman that I am ordering for a 2014 and ordered. So got halfway through the install that was a total mess- the snorkel had no bend in it to line up with the pillar so I let it sit in the sun, mounted, pushed, marked, dismounted, installed the bracket, reinstalled, pushed and finally got it attached. Then I noticed it was pulling the plate out of the pillar, so I went through the ordeal again, took of the pillar and bolted the plate, reinstalled. Now I feel like the MAN! Then I go to mount the hose and realize that the airbox is 4"+ and the hose is too small.Now I am a tool! ARB has a multi diameter hose but that is not what I got?

I spoke with Ironman and they are helping solve this but so far- Australian FJs never changed the airbox? I cant believe this has never come up before but I guess they or Pure FJ ( they verified model number and info- great people!) have ever sold one or had issues in the US for a 2010+?

I installed the plastic piece back on the airbox that will fit the hose but it is too long, an impossible angle, to small of a lip to clamp the hose on because the inner fender is right where the clamp would go.

Home Depot 3" to 4" doesn't fit either.

Now I am stuck and hope Ironman engineers in Australia can help or I can order an ARB hose.

Any ideas? Also- anyone with a ARB 2010+ is the snorkel plastic part that goes into the fender, is it angled or straight. The Ironman is angled which is strange because the holes are even enough to accommodate a straight hose?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,510 Posts
Any Pic’s?

Sounds as though they either didn’t know the different model years or sent you the wrong thing. But as Australia didn’t get the FJ until 2011 seems odd. I would contact Australia direct if you haven’t already. I hope they put it right...a hole or three in a fender is not easy to hide! They’re a pretty good company so I have faith they’ll sort it.

edit...looking at the Australia website they don’t even list a snorkel for the FJ

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine came with no instructions. they emailed them later but I was already moving along based on ARB instructions. I verified the part number with Ironman and Pure FJ confirmed that is what they had as well.
I can try a reducer but Home depot ones dont fit and are super thick/stiff. I tried a plumbing supply as well.
Ironman folks should be back to me soon and then I will decide what to do based on their response.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am looking at the reducers. the air box outside diameter is about 4 1/4" so i'd have to go with a 4" from what I can find online. the snorkel attachment is about 3 1/2" o.d. so a 3 1/4" , I cant really see under there to measure accurately- anyone know off hand? is the silicone tube stretchable like rubber?

·
Registered
247 Posts
You’ll be using hose clamps, so get true OD, they don’t stretch much at all if it is a quality hose

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright- they are sending me a Safari Snorkel as a replacement so I should be rolling in a few days. If I had to drive I'd be super irritated but my new calm self has been patient. The folks at Ironman have gone out of their way to make this right. Now to see if the Safari unit is the same fit and pattern.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts