Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Looking for info on the Ironman stage 2 kit. I did a little bit of searching through previous threads but it seems most the information is outdated. If anyone is running the newer(?) rebuildable foam cell stuff I’d really like some input. Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hello everyone! Looking for info on the Ironman stage 2 kit. I did a little bit of searching through previous threads but it seems most the information is outdated. If anyone is running the newer(?) rebuildable foam cell stuff I’d really like some input. Thanks!
Get it and install it, you won't be let down. I have the Foam Cell Pro fronts installed in both FJ's (2010, 2013) for for the past 6 years AND we just installed a set in our new 21 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE FAIL OR LEAK!!!! Moab, FJ Summit, White Rim Trail, Mojave Road trail, Death Valley heat and abuse. We run the C (constant load) springs in the FJ's and am currently running B springs in the Tacoma until we install the Demello front bumper, then it will have C springs. We wheel the hell out of our vehicles regularly. You won't regret the purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Lots of guys like them with good results, good customer service even with failures like this 4Runner report:
Ironman Foam Cell Pro

Seems to be the last stop before rebuildable coil overs and resi's, which you should strongly consider as they are tunable and extremely durable, not a "swap for a new" one item.

·
Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. Definitely gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing you run them on three rigs! If you had one complaint, if you even have one, what would it be?

·
Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of guys like them with good results, good customer service even with failures like this 4Runner report:
Ironman Foam Cell Pro

Seems to be the last stop before rebuildable coil overs and resi's, which you should strongly consider as they are tunable and extremely durable, not a "swap for a new" one item.
Their website says they are fully rebuildable, so maybe that’s something that has changed from the past? I’ve looked at/researched just about every manufacturer out there lol for me the foam cells seem to require the least amount of maintenance. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
385 Posts
My only gripe would be that they don't offer them in a longer travel shock (LT). The Foam cell pro's have always been rebuildable from the start, the best part of that is you can rebuild them yourself if you buy the tool and have the mechanical ability. Keep 'em clean just like any other shock and they will last.

Reactions: KevlarConrad

·
Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My only gripe would be that they don't offer them in a longer travel shock (LT). The Foam cell pro's have always been rebuildable from the start, the best part of that is you can rebuild them yourself if you buy the tool and have the mechanical ability. Keep 'em clean just like any other shock and they will last.
Well I’m pretty much convinced now! Especially because they seem to always be running a 20-25% off deal. Do you have their UCAs? I’ve always been partial to SPCs, but Ironmans use a off the shelf ball joint so that is intriguing for me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
No, I have a set of Old Man Emu's on our 2013, but not the new aluminum UCA's they have now. You'll have to let us know how they perform.(y)

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Their website says they are fully rebuildable, so maybe that’s something that has changed from the past? I’ve looked at/researched just about every manufacturer out there lol for me the foam cells seem to require the least amount of maintenance. What are your thoughts on this?
Maintenance is usually done when oil weapage at seals begins, how many miles? For my Icon 2.5 coilovers it was about 85K miles, much better than I expected. 2 sets of rear Icon 2.0 blew out at about 20k. I am currently at 45K on 2.5 Kings front and rear with no issues. My biggest concern for Ironman would be the rear twin tube construction and the front's oil volume specifically no resi and foam reducing working oil volume. Since that's where the energy goes and becomes heat, less oil=higher temperatures at same levels of work. So I do not see how they would require less maintenance especially less than resi's.

If you don't hit their limits you're golden. I would beat them hard while under the excellent 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maintenance is usually done when oil weapage at seals begins, how many miles? For my Icon 2.5 coilovers it was about 85K miles, much better than I expected. 2 sets of rear Icon 2.0 blew out at about 20k. I am currently at 45K on 2.5 Kings front and rear with no issues. My biggest concern for Ironman would be the rear twin tube construction and the front's oil volume specifically no resi and foam reducing working oil volume. Since that's where the energy goes and becomes heat, less oil=higher temperatures at same levels of work. So I do not see how they would require less maintenance especially less than resi's.

If you don't hit their limits you're golden. I would beat them hard while under the excellent 3 year warranty.
In regards to the oil volume.. them being 3” diameter would increase the volume over a 2.5” shock so they have that going for them. I’d love to have kings but they are damn near double the price and I’m really just planning on using this rig for overland camping.

I’m going to start searching some of the other toyota forums for real life experiences. This FJ is a clean slate for me so I want to do it right once and not have any buyers remorse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the Black Friday bump, I was gonna start a new thread but figure I'll post my questions here.

1) What is the benefit of going with the stage three kit which includes the panhard bar? Just building a weekender, overlanding-type rig. No crazy rock crawling expected in my FJ's future.

2) for the rear springs, I'm not sure what to go with between the 1.5" comfort and 2" performance. Currently, the rear is stock. Sometime in 2022 I plan to add a rear bumper, and also build a two level drawer system in the back, so weight will be added eventually. I'd prefer to buy once, not change things in the future. So I'm assuming I should go with the 2" performance, but I'd love to get the forum's perspective on that topic.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Depends on how heavy, how fast, how often you bottom out. One setup does not match all driver's expectations.

I would wait to see how frequently you are bottoming out, then you know why you are increasing your springs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Depends on how heavy, how fast, how often you bottom out. One setup does not match all driver's expectations.

I would wait to see how frequently you are bottoming out, then you know why you are increasing your springs.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. New to all this, so lacking a lot of perspective. I decided to go with the 1.5" comfort rear springs. Definitely want to level out my FJ, and since I'm not sure what or when I'll add stuff to the back, I feel like the 1.5" is the best for the time being. If/when I start adding weight to the back and I need stiffer springs I'll just have to replace them in the future.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts