Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

401 - 420 of 619 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,919 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I installed mine two days ago. (full kit, front and rear) I do like the height, it's just right. I'm excited to take it to Moab in a couple months. I have some questions for those who have put this kit on your FJ.

How long do you wait to do the alignment? I'm assuming it will settle a little bit, right now I have a big positive camber in the front and don't want to drive too long like that.

The shock diameter is so big that I had contact with the axle and shock body. So I put a big washer on the backside of the lower shock mount to space it 1/8". Anyone else experience this?

Is the harsh ride going to get better with time?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I'm wondering about the harsh ride as well. Because Iron man Canada doesn't sell the coilovers assembled, I had them pressed. I had the adjustment way to low. I'm sitting at stock height in the front right now with about a 3 inch rake... Lol

Does anyone know if the spanner wrenches from the Toytec boss lift or icon suspension works for adjusting these?

I lowered my tire pressure for now to smooth out the ride. It is far better on speed bumps than my 5100 kit was, and on gravel roads. Otherwise, I think the 5100 might have actually ridden better.

So yeah, just wondering if this will ware off and settle, or not.

Cheers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts
I installed mine two days ago. (full kit, front and rear) I do like the height, it's just right. I'm excited to take it to Moab in a couple months. I have some questions for those who have put this kit on your FJ.

How long do you wait to do the alignment? I'm assuming it will settle a little bit, right now I have a big positive camber in the front and don't want to drive too long like that.

The shock diameter is so big that I had contact with the axle and shock body. So I put a big washer on the backside of the lower shock mount to space it 1/8". Anyone else experience this?

Is the harsh ride going to get better with time?
Did you make sure you installed the shock correctly? If you look at the bottom mount, it is slightly offset from the center of the shock. That offset will prevent the shock to hit the axle although comes close at full droop. GreenMachine02 pointed that out to me on his install.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm wondering about the harsh ride as well. Because Iron man Canada doesn't sell the coilovers assembled, I had them pressed. I had the adjustment way to low. I'm sitting at stock height in the front right now with about a 3 inch rake... Lol

Does anyone know if the spanner wrenches from the Toytec boss lift or icon suspension works for adjusting these?

I lowered my tire pressure for now to smooth out the ride. It is far better on speed bumps than my 5100 kit was, and on gravel roads. Otherwise, I think the 5100 might have actually ridden better.

Cheers

Not sure about the Toytec spanner wrench but I purchased the ones from links in previous posts.

Armstrong 34-363 2-4-3/4-Inch Adjustable Pin Spanner Wrench - - Amazon.com

As for the harsh ride, I've had mine for almost 2 months and I haven't noticed any change. I'm thinking about getting some Toytec superflex rear coils. Front seems ok for me. Back is bouncy.

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts

Cheers

Did they send you the constant load springs?

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts
bouncy soft or you're getting rebound?

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts
Rebound. Not a cushy soft like our Lexus.
So it's bouncing after compressing?
How far off the bump stops in front is it?

That's not right...
Mine hits a bump (or jump), the suspension compresses then returns to it's normal position. No excess rebound or any bounce.

Are you sure you installed it correctly? What happens if you wind it out a bit?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did you make sure you installed the shock correctly? If you look at the bottom mount, it is slightly offset from the center of the shock. That offset will prevent the shock to hit the axle although comes close at full droop. GreenMachine02 pointed that out to me on his install.
Oh snap...I'll look and see. I don't remember seeing the offset, thanks.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts

That's not right...

Mine hits a bump (or jump), the suspension compresses then returns to it's normal position. No excess rebound or any bounce.

Could it be a result of the front sitting at stock hight in the front right now? Maybe the front and back are just to different at the moment? And what do you mean by wind it out?

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
Could it be a result of the front sitting at stock hight in the front right now? Maybe the front and back are just to different at the moment? And what do you mean by wind it out?

Thanks

Matt: I think "wind it out" means, full speed test on how it handles, like WOT (wide open throttle). I think the previous poster rides dunes alot :) OR it could be, "wind it out" meaning to increase ride height. Good luck figuring it out.

·
Desert Moderator
6,721 Posts
Matt: I think "wind it out" means, full speed test on how it handles, like WOT (wide open throttle). I think the previous poster rides dunes alot :) OR it could be, "wind it out" meaning to increase ride height. Good luck figuring it out.
LOL - yeah I meant lift it higher.
Check how close it is to the bumpstops - it could be bottoming out...
Also - once the suspension is working right, give it death over some jumps ;-)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #418

That's not right...

I am kind of wondering the same thing. Also confirm that they did install the B springs. I hate that you are up in Canada, so not a hole lot I can do from here but I will certainly try to be an advocate to Ironman Corporate if I can.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I am kind of wondering the same thing. Also confirm that they did install the B springs. I hate that you are up in Canada, so not a hole lot I can do from here but I will certainly try to be an advocate to Ironman Corporate if I can.

I still have the boxes, so I'll see if there is a part number on there. Is there any marking on the spring itself that would identify it?

I installed it all with a buddy, so I know for sure everything was installed correctly.

401 - 420 of 619 Posts