Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

481 - 500 of 618 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Please expand on your statement, you've got me curious now. I installed just the pre-assembled coilover, no spacer anywhere.
The extended travel spacer goes on the shock shaft between the shaft and bottom top hat washer adding around an inch of strut travel (2" at the wheel). Ironman used to offer these but now they just send you the spacer and you have to install yourself. The standard travel struts are good for a 1.7" lift although you will be able to dial the coil overs up to a 3" lift BUT you MUST preserve 60mm of downtravel on IFS's. Should be clearly noted on your install instructions. What I found with mine was that to preserve 2" downtravel I could only dial mine up to around 2" of lift. They sent me the spacer but it is a PITA to install as there are barely enough threads to get the top hat retaining nut on.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
On another note if you dial the pfc's up to 3" lift it tends to compress the spring so much it will contact the strut housing causing a nasty metal on metal noise and metal on metal contact that will eventually compromise the spring integrity.

·
Registered
361 Posts
@SoloXplorer, Thank you, i understand completely what you are saying now. All I need to get is one inch more of additional lift in the front now that I have them in. According to the info that equates to 1\2 inch of adjustment. I'm looking to level it with the rear which is setting at 38 inches from fender flare to ground. The front, with FCP's, is setting at 37.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The extended travel spacer goes on the shock shaft between the shaft and bottom top hat washer adding around an inch of strut travel (2" at the wheel). Ironman used to offer these but now they just send you the spacer and you have to install yourself. The standard travel struts are good for a 1.7" lift although you will be able to dial the coil overs up to a 3" lift BUT you MUST preserve 60mm of downtravel on IFS's. Should be clearly noted on your install instructions. What I found with mine was that to preserve 2" downtravel I could only dial mine up to around 2" of lift. They sent me the spacer but it is a PITA to install as there are barely enough threads to get the top hat retaining nut on.
This is also the first I've heard this. What is the issue with raising the front beyond the 1.7" you mention?

Mine are the regular travel versions.

·
Desert Moderator
5,838 Posts
@SoloXplorer, Thank you, i understand completely what you are saying now. All I need to get is one inch more of additional lift in the front now that I have them in. According to the info that equates to 1\2 inch of adjustment. I'm looking to level it with the rear which is setting at 38 inches from fender flare to ground. The front, with FCP's, is setting at 37.
Don't measure to the ground (tire pressure becomes a variable), measure to the bottom of the rim.
I really don't get all this "level" bull**** - is it a 4x4 or a mall crawler?

My driver side front is 15mm lower than the left - this causes me upper fender liner rub issues on big bumps & landing jumps on the driver side - That's why I will crank that up 8mm. As for rake, I couldn't give a flying **** - it's all about performance for me - if I level it when it's empty for aesthetic purposes, then load it up for camping including 160 litres of fuel, then it's going to drag its ass on the ground...

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
This is also the first I've heard this. What is the issue with raising the front beyond the 1.7" you mention?

Mine are the regular travel versions.
I will post the TSB about the spring rubbing issue they(Ironman) sent me in a few hours when I get to my laptop.

As far as the required down travel that should be posted clearly on the assembly instructions that come with the coilovers. But I can post a link to that as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
@amaclach,
It does well now in the desert, just looking for a little bit more in the front. I'll measure from wheel well to rim later today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Ok here is a quote from Ironman regarding the "extended travel" version of these...

"As for extended travel vrs. non, we discontinued the extended travel option as an Ironman 4x4 America Inc. installed option. However at the request of ExCop Off Road we provided the extension spacer free of charge if a consumer wished to install it themselves. It installs in place of the spacer that has the built in washer with the three holes. When assembling the strut, it's the first thing dropped onto the shaft, next the backing washer, top hat rubber/rubber, steel washer then nut."

Here is the TSB for the springs rubbing...
"COIL RUBBING

Technical Installation Bulletin for selected Foam Cell Pro Strut Shock Absorbers

45727FE / 45716FE / 45710FE / 45750FE

The outside body diameter of these struts is 72mm. Combined with the nominal 81mm inside coil diameter of the matching springs.
The possibility of the coil rubbing on the body due to bowing in the coil, any brand of spring including Ironman 4x4 coil springs could potentially exhibit a slight bowing once installed which may allow contact of the inside coil diameter to the shock absorber body.

Remedy: During installation, determine the direction of bowing, prior to releasing coil from spring compressor, push the strut as far as possible to the side to increase clearance to the closer side of bowing then slowly release spring tension. Once spring is fully seated, check clearance of inside coil diameter and shock body. There must be clearance at this time to avoid rubbing on the body during operation.

Ironman 4x4 are implementing ways in future production to reduce the severity and likelihood of the above clearance related issues, however due to limitations beyond our control, special attention to avoid these issues may still be required.

And here is the portion of the assembly instructions regarding minimum down travel...
http://www.ironman4x4.com/system/resources/W1siZiIsIjIwMTQvMTEvMTUvM3Z5bmlucTE0N19zdHJ1dF9pbnN0cnVjdGlvbnMucGRmIl1d/strut_instructions.pdf

And the quote of that...
"Most Independant suspension systems must retain a minimum of 60mm
downward suspension travel.
The downward suspension travel is measured by the following:
1) Measure and record distance from Wheel Rim to Guard when vehicle is
resting on flat level ground.
2) Raise front of vehicle with wheels fully hanging.
3) Measure and record distance from Wheel Rim to Guard again when vehicle
is raised.
4) Subtract (Step 1) distance from (Step 3):
(Sample)
(Step1) 770mm. (Step 3) 830mm.
830mm - 770mm = 60mm.
This means the wheel has 60mm downward travel available.
The higher the ride height is to start with, the smaller this measurement will
be.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
So the short answer for not retaining minimum down travel is you'll overextend the strut before it has time to dampen the movement, you'll lose contact with the surface on some motions of the suspension, and you can damage the struts by overextending them before they con properly mitigate the energy.

The estimated lift for these are 45mm(or 1.77"). http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/suspension-kits/suspension/fj-cruiser-2006-suspension-kit-constant-load-with-foam-cell-pro-shocks

To get a 3" lift youneed either 1) the spacer provided by ironman, 2) An aftermarket spacer, 3) An ability to manipulate physics

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
This is the "extended travel" spacer. It replaces one that is roughly 3/8".

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
So the short answer for not retaining minimum down travel is you'll overextend the strut before it has time to dampen the movement, you'll lose contact with the surface on some motions of the suspension, and you can damage the struts by overextending them before they con properly mitigate the energy.

The estimated lift for these are 45mm(or 1.77"). FJ Cruiser 2006+ Suspension Kit - Constant Load with Foam Cell Pro Shocks - Ironman 4x4

To get a 3" lift youneed either 1) the spacer provided by ironman, 2) An aftermarket spacer, 3) An ability to manipulate physics
Well thats a bit of a bummer. I found their PDF that mentioned the 60mm of travel. According to their measurements the stock FJ coil is seated at 214mm of perch height. I measured mine last night and they're at 234mm. So raised to 20mm which should equate to a 1.57" lift based off what their PDF states.

My down travel though is not at 60mm, as best as I could measure I'm getting less than 20mm.:surprise

·
Desert Moderator
5,838 Posts
I just know that I used to smash my front skid on every lump of camel grass in the desert, and since I put my FCPs on, I seldom do. Also I get minimal rebound on jumps & moguls.
I also know that I don't really feel corrugations and I can go really fast across the desert & speed humps. Everyone that rides in my FJ off-road comments how impressed they are with the suspension.
I have some droop - I'm guessing more than 60mm and I'm good with that.
I don't know what my lift is over stock, and I have a rake, I'm also good with that.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I just know that I used to smash my front skid on every lump of camel grass in the desert, and since I put my FCPs on, I seldom do. Also I get minimal rebound on jumps & moguls.
I also know that I don't really feel corrugations and I can go really fast across the desert & speed humps. Everyone that rides in my FJ off-road comments how impressed they are with the suspension.
I have some droop - I'm guessing more than 60mm and I'm good with that.
I don't know what my lift is over stock, and I have a rake, I'm also good with that.

Out of curiosity could you measure from the bottom of your rim to just above the flair where it turns to the body? No huge rush, but I would appreciate it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Desert Moderator
5,838 Posts
Out of curiosity could you measure from the bottom of your rim to just above the flair where it turns to the body? No huge rush, but I would appreciate it.

Yeah I'll do it in the morning. I know mine have settled a bit in the 20,000k since I got them fitted & I have a driver side lean which I need to sort out soon.

·
Desert Moderator
5,838 Posts
@FJCRUISERmatt
RF: 775
LF: 750
LR: 807
RR: 835

That said, the ground might not be 100% level..

The stock flare is 65mm high.

·
Desert Moderator
5,838 Posts

^^ Driver side 60 mm to bottom of thread

^^ Passenger side 64mm to bottom of thread

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
@FJCRUISERmatt
RF: 775
LF: 750
LR: 807
RR: 835

That said, the ground might not be 100% level..

The stock flare is 65mm high.

Yeah, I see why you might want more height. Not to much space between the tire and flair... And we all know you drive like a bat out of hell.;)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
How big are your tires Andrew? I like how they fit..fills the wheel wells nicely without a huge gap above the tires

Sent from a NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Desert Moderator
5,838 Posts
How big are your tires Andrew? I like how they fit..fills the wheel wells nicely without a huge gap above the tires

Sent from a NiPhone using Tapatalk
I need a little more lift at the front, but can dial that in easily enough.
Tires are Cooper AT3 285/70R17 mounted with the ugly blue/white advertising is on the inside.

IMO, the AT3 is the best road legal tire for sand on the market - it's truly awesome - and excellent on the black stuff as well. Not just on the FJ - I have friends running them on Jeeps & Raptors who also swear by them.

481 - 500 of 618 Posts