Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

601 - 618 of 618 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
What happened to Vegas_Nick? He hasn't been around in months and I sent a pm to him about the Foamcell Suspension and got no reply. His store Ex Cop Offroad no longer lists anything but Amsoil products.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
This happened to me too, it's documented in this thread somewhere. Talked to @Vegas_Nick and he got me the part quickly and for free. Only cost to me was installation at a local shop and haven't had a problem since.

I'm still a huge fan of this suspension and think it's a great budget buy. For desert driving, you'd have to go to a remote resi with adjusters to get better performance with stock geometry. I'm at about the height limit of the FCP's, and would like a little more travel to work with, but that's a limiting factor on all similar suspension choices. They actually ride better as speed increases, ie instead of slowing down over train tracks I now prefer to speed up :lol:
Looks like the rubber bushings are somewhat of a wear item, just discovered today that the PS coilover's lower spring isolator is split. Not sure if it's the extreme variety of weather conditions, regular use, or just lifespan of the bushing material that causes the failure. Still loving the shocks after almost four years with them, however. @Vegas_Nick was great to work with last time around, hoping that I can get this sorted out as easily in round 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Looking at your springs I think it is time for a whole new suspension. Unless your FJ's name is Rusty.
NESSIE has a hard life in the midwest, but she's still structurally sound. I keep a pretty careful eye on the rust, it's all surface-level for now. I dread the day that road salt finally does her in.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Good news! Got my bushing replaced today, everyone at Ironman was great and they shipped the part right away for free, no questions asked. Just had to pay the local shop for a couple of hours of labor to install it because my lower shock bolt was seized to the bushing. So PSA time, all y'all rust state FJers better go put anti-seize on everything you can find ASAP!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm thinking of moving on from my 5100 setup, as rear shocks are done for and I don't think my fronts are at their peak anymore. What springs would you guys recommend for FCP? Are their fronts compatible with stock springs? Judging by Ironman website I should go with A springs, but I wonder if they'd be the same as stock, and maybe I could just save a bit...

·
Desert Moderator
5,659 Posts
Front shocks are adjustable, but rears I guess are designed to be used lifted.
I have the ironman springs - Comfort.
My FJ is setup for sand where soft is better than hard. You should make your decision based on your own use case.
What kind of wheeling do you do?

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's my DD, so mostly roads, and then backcountry gravel roads with bumps and holes, but the type where you can go fast. Very rarely it'd be something like real dirty paths, where you mostly have to crawl.

·
Desert Moderator
5,659 Posts
Looks like the rubber bushings are somewhat of a wear item, just discovered today that the PS coilover's lower spring isolator is split. Not sure if it's the extreme variety of weather conditions, regular use, or just lifespan of the bushing material that causes the failure. Still loving the shocks after almost four years with them, however. @Vegas_Nick was great to work with last time around, hoping that I can get this sorted out as easily in round 2.
That happened to me - the local Ironman dealer replaced them for free. The bottom bushes on the fronts had to be replaced as well. I considered urethane bushes, but couldn't be bothered measuring and finding matching bushes...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm thinking of moving on from my 5100 setup, as rear shocks are done for and I don't think my fronts are at their peak anymore. What springs would you guys recommend for FCP? Are their fronts compatible with stock springs? Judging by Ironman website I should go with A springs, but I wonder if they'd be the same as stock, and maybe I could just save a bit...
Your OE front springs are too small for the 2.5 inch FCPs. I'm running the C spring in front, with a 100something pound steel bumper and plans for a winch. They're what VegasNick suggested when I told him my appx weight and usage, so maybe consider calling MetalTech (they're the IronMan USA distributor) and see what they tell you. I use mine for DD, crawling, faster driving (no dunes) as well. The stiffer springs and big shocks do a good job of controlling the FJ sans swaybars, but don't flex as well as I'd like off-road.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That happened to me - the local Ironman dealer replaced them for free. The bottom bushes on the fronts had to be replaced as well. I considered urethane bushes, but couldn't be bothered measuring and finding matching bushes...
I've done it on both sides now, but mine are exposed to salt, mud, water, snow, sand, dust, acts of God, etc. thanks to the Midwestern US. The lower shock bushing and control arm hardware was so seized that it took them 2.5 hours of labor :mecry: to perform the fix. Thinking some suspension coverings may be in my future.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks, guys! Will read more on the springs.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
Im ready to buy. Mrs even approved!

I guess Mark got tired of answering my questions as he stopped responding to my emails. Hopefully a forum member can assist. ...and Nick can give me a quote.

Specs:
2011 4wd
Short wife, so minimal lift
Daily driver used as off road vehicle as a hobby
Total chaos uppers
Bilstein 5100s all around. Fronts at 3rd notch
Dual AGM batteries in the front

Coming soon:
ExOne WyoOtto
ComeUp Seal 9500 series 2
ExpOne rear bumper with dual swing out (coming in September). Spare tire mount, dual NATO cans and Hi-Lift on bumper.

The question of the day is springs! Baaarg! Im going nuts trying to translate the Iron Man terms to spring capacity. Its like ordering coffee at Starbucks.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #616
Dude, I wished I could help out! They killed all of the dealerships and took it all back to Mark only. I haven't dealt with him since we moved to Florida. SORRY! I miss all you guys and miss the whole FJ family since moving down here.

Nick

Im ready to buy. Mrs even approved!

I guess Mark got tired of answering my questions as he stopped responding to my emails. Hopefully a forum member can assist. ...and Nick can give me a quote.

Specs:
2011 4wd
Short wife, so minimal lift
Daily driver used as off road vehicle as a hobby
Total chaos uppers
Bilstein 5100s all around. Fronts at 3rd notch
Dual AGM batteries in the front

Coming soon:
ExOne WyoOtto
ComeUp Seal 9500 series 2
ExpOne rear bumper with dual swing out (coming in September). Spare tire mount, dual NATO cans and Hi-Lift on bumper.

The question of the day is springs! Baaarg! Im going nuts trying to translate the Iron Man terms to spring capacity. Its like ordering coffee at Starbucks.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
Dude, I wished I could help out! They killed all of the dealerships and took it all back to Mark only. I haven't dealt with him since we moved to Florida. SORRY! I miss all you guys and miss the whole FJ family since moving down here.

Nick

Noooooo! May be time to look into something else.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #618
Sadly, I have had several people contact me about customer service issues since we departed the business. I can say that Mark worked very well with me and he was always great at resolving issues and standing by the product. That is one reason that I so proudly repped the Ironman products. We warrantied stuff that I know for a fact was purposefully beat to death. I can't speak to what has happened to them over the past year. It was another reason that I suggested people avoid Icon. After seeing their nightmare customer service multiple times, and how their people talked to me when trying to resolve customer issues, I wouldn't install their products if they were giving them away. (sorry, eprsonal opinion diversion)

I'll go back to what I always said. If you can get the Ironamn's and you are an average offroader, then they will work fine with you. Next up from them would be Fox. I initially had Fox 2.5.s on my rig and beat them hard and they survived everything that I did. That would be my next suggestion for you. Rear spring wise, I really like the All Pro medium springs on mine. Also, again, the C rate springs from Ironman.

Noooooo! May be time to look into something else.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

601 - 618 of 618 Posts