Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was told by the tyre fitment centre dude (who also had an FJ) that the FJ suspension isn't really fit for 315 tyres. I bought the vehicle with Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ LT315/70R17. I have a 2012 Trail Teams Special Edition. I've been driving it for 3 months now and do not feel like the wider tyres is affecting the handling of the vehicle.

Does anybody have experience with wider tyres on the standard FJ suspension? Pro and Cons?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Pieter, I was curious about this as well. Have you taken it out and flexed out the suspension while turning the steering wheel to see if you get any running when the suspension is fully articulated?

I’m currently running 285s( Cooper STT Pros )but will be looking at getting some fresh rubber next summer( over 60,000km on this set, and they’ve worn perfectly rotating them at 5000km intervals ). When I bought them new, at full flex, the tires would just barely touch the body mount and leave a tiny rub mark without grabbing. I have zero offset rims so the stance is slightly wider, and my FJ is levelled. I’m curious about 315s though. Thank-you in advance for any input.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
Hi @FatJohnson 😄

So I’ve been running 315/75/16 on a 3” lift for a few years, have a BMC and have trimmed away quite a bit of metal and plastic. Installed rear spacers and am about to add front, but those are to deal with rubbing at full stuff / full lock when offroad. On maintained roads you may rub a bit at full lock, especially if you’re running OE UCAs and can’t improve on +camber.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was just looking at some 315s. I had 285s, and now 295s. Jumping to the 315 would be another 3.5% in diameter from the 295. I don't think there would be much of a performance upgrade traction wise. I bet they'll look huge though.

Not sure what your guy is talking about there being an issue with the suspension. Clearance will really be the only issue depending on your wheels.

especially if you’re running OE UCAs and can’t improve on +camber.
You meant caster. ;) I have a lot of caster (4.5+), along with an aggressive body mount chop and barely clear with the 295s, the 315s will definitely rub on my current wheels. I don't think it would be a huge issue though. I think i'm gonna go for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts