Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an Fj and have a question please.

Will the locking differential be enough to handle the following, or do I need the 4x4?

My boat is a 21 ft bay boat , around 2,500 lbs. minus gas, ice, gear and trailer.
I also pull an 18ft dual axle trailer for my ATV, generator and other gear for hunting.

Some of the boat ramps are steep and the roads and camp area on our lease are slick when wet, not deep mud, but enough for 4x2 trucks to get stuck
for lose of traction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for trying to help.
Yes, they are available.
I drove one with the locking diff. last week at a dealer north of here.

My question isn't so much about "towing capabilities" as much as it is about the 4x2 with the locking rear end being sufficient to get my boat up a steep ramp.
I use a 2500 deisel suburban 4x4 now and it's great, but it has 280,000 miles on it, so I'm looking.
There are 4x2's to be had down here, but 4x4 models are not as easy to find.
I don't use the boat often anymore (hurricane took our camp), but I do still hunt from October through January.

Just trying to find someone with first hand experience.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
i had an 06 taco, with the trd package..2wd..workd great for towing my 21' bass boat..with the push button rear locker, if i did ever slip pulling up the ramp, i could just push it, engage the rear locker, and no problems....it was deff worth having

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Sounds like you'll do fine with 4x2. But there is a chance you'll get the wheeling bug and regret not having a 4x4. I have had good fun with my prerunner with locker, on and off road, but am now looking to trade up to 4x4 for more capability off road.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had an 06 taco, with the trd package..2wd..workd great for towing my 21' bass boat..with the push button rear locker, if i did ever slip pulling up the ramp, i could just push it, engage the rear locker, and no problems....it was deff worth having
Thanks AJ. I'm in central LA, 'bout five hours or so from you.
If you happen across an 07 or 08 that's in good shape, I'd appreciate a "holler". I've been from Shreveport to New Orleans this week looking and came up dry.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm looking for an Fj and have a question please.

Will the locking differential be enough to handle the following, or do I need the 4x4?

My boat is a 21 ft bay boat , around 2,500 lbs. minus gas, ice, gear and trailer.
I also pull an 18ft dual axle trailer for my ATV, generator and other gear for hunting.

Some of the boat ramps are steep and the roads and camp area on our lease are slick when wet, not deep mud, but enough for 4x2 trucks to get stuck
for lose of traction.

Is this what you mean ?? Get a 4X4 if you plan on launching off of the lakes edge without pavement .....

Me towing a Lifted Dodge Quad Cab 2wd Limited Slip Rear Differential (had to tow him to the top , boat and all!)Every time I let off the gas , he would just kick out and slide around....

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Sounds like you'll do fine with 4x2. But there is a chance you'll get the wheeling bug and regret not having a 4x4. I have had good fun with my prerunner with locker, on and off road, but am now looking to trade up to 4x4 for more capability off road.

Great, now what can we kick you around about? Ya a 4X2 just may be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mobius,

No, usually do it yourself launches are a bad idea down here with a rig of any size. That's done with a light bateau and trailer, maybe up to 16ft. Not much rock, but lots of "gumbo" mud.
I'm sure that guy is happy to know you have such a nice record of the event for all to see!

I'm seeing a few 4x4's in Texas on Yahoo autos, guess I'll be crusin' Lonestar.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
446 Posts
...I have had good fun with my prerunner with locker, on and off road, but am now looking to trade up to 4x4 for more capability off road.
Holy Cow!
I remember having a beer with you, Jacque, Chris :king:, and a couple others... in the Fall of 2006. If I remember correctly you were excited about two things:
  1. Your Ouray trip (and getting a National get-together planned):rocker:
  2. Working out a deal to get a 4x4 FJC...
I guess the summit thing has sort-of kept you pre-occupied. :jester:

:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done deal!
I found an '08 4x4 yesterday, made the trip and brought it home.
It's black and shiny so now I'm waiting for the first ding I put on it.
Seems to have most of the interior options, and all seems ok. Does have 50,000 miles on it though.
I know I'll have more questions but wanted to say thanks for taking the time to help.
:clap:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Done deal!
I found an '08 4x4 yesterday, made the trip and brought it home.
It's black and shiny so now I'm waiting for the first ding I put on it.
Seems to have most of the interior options, and all seems ok. Does have 50,000 miles on it though.
I know I'll have more questions but wanted to say thanks for taking the time to help.
:clap:
Congrats !!!!!!!!!!:cheers: Now post a pic:bigthumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts