Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might seem like a dumb question, but hear me out.

I already have a gas tank skid and it will stay because the gas tank is one of the lowest part of the underbody, but I've started wondering if it's really that useful.

My ricochet gas tank skid bolts to a cross-member at the front of the gas tank, but then only bolts to the gas tank for the length of the tank. That means if I do slide on a rock along the gas tank, the weight of the fj is on the tank. Something tells me this hollow tank isn't made to support the weight of the FJ, or at least most of the weight, and something will fail between the tank and the body.

Thoughts?

·
Admin
6,858 Posts
What's the other option.... having the rock slice into the tank rather than slide along it?

My gas tank skid (Ricochet as well) has been used extensively and it shows.

Short answer - no, it's not useless. 10 yrs later my gas tank is still intact.

·
Registered
521 Posts
With no skid, the weight of the FJ will be supported by the area of the tank in contact with said rock. On the other hand, if you have a skid, the weight of the FJ will be supported everything the skid is in contact with (mounting points and certainly a much larger area on the tank)

think of it this way:

* 5000lb vehicle supported by 5 square inches of gas tank contact on rock is 1000 psi

* 5000lb vehicle supported by 50 square inches of gas tank contact on skid plate is 100 psi

Nice round numbers chosen to make the math easy, not because I know what size the skid plate is

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good points.

Like I said I won't be getting rid of mine.

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts