Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Well, I am leading Black Bear on Thursday 8am, Imogene on Friday 9am and Black Bear Saturday at 8am I think, I can promise a good pace, but plenty of time to take pictures, stretch your legs. I think both trails averaged about 4.5 hours due to the trip back from Telluride.
Bob

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hey thanks Sarge for the advice I think I might. Its convincing the husband it will be a smoother ride and not a huge hassle to fill them back up. Is there somewhere in town to air up I am sure there is. I have a cheap little air compressor and it would take about 20 minutes a tire. I have a little one with me so taking 80 minutes to fill tires is not an option. But paying a few bucks to air them up in 5 sounds good for me.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Well, I am leading Black Bear on Thursday 8am, Imogene on Friday 9am and Black Bear Saturday at 8am I think, I can promise a good pace, but plenty of time to take pictures, stretch your legs. I think both trails averaged about 4.5 hours due to the trip back from Telluride.
Bob
Seems like 4.5 hours for either Imogene or Black Bear (Ouray-to-Ouray, that is) would definitely mean no lunch stop in Telluride, unless you're just driving the whole time.

Hey thanks Sarge for the advice I think I might. Its convincing the husband it will be a smoother ride and not a huge hassle to fill them back up. Is there somewhere in town to air up I am sure there is. I have a cheap little air compressor and it would take about 20 minutes a tire. I have a little one with me so taking 80 minutes to fill tires is not an option. But paying a few bucks to air them up in 5 sounds good for me.
Yep. There's air available at one of the gas stations on the north end of town. There's also some in Ridgway and at Humdinger's on the north end of Montrose (one year, we just drove slow that far and aired up before getting all highway-ish for the rest of the trip home).

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
No prob, I'm staying at the Timber Ridge Lodge and the gas station next door has air and it is free. Last year when I came over from Moab my tires aired down themselves! Went from 102+ degrees everyday in Moab to 54 degrees in Ouray, tires went from 35 lbs to 26 that morning. I took them down to 20lbs and ran that the entire time i was there. I never timed it but my little Tsumani takes less than 5 minutes to air up each tire, no big deal IMO. If you see me out there you are welcome to use it. :bigthumb:

I can't wait for the trip!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
JayFF, sorry to tell you but you've got some bad info. Smittybilt compressors are NOT made in VIAIR's factory. Smittybilt compressors are made by Q Industries aka DV innovations. I'm sure you understand, but I don't want another companies to benefit from our reputation so please let feel free to correct your source.

If so please disclose the Country and factory of origin for the Viair and Smittybilt compressors and individual components.

I am confident the Smittybilt final product assembly is not completed in the Viair factory but I would be very surprised if the two brands did not share a factory early in the supply chain.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
I appreciate the clarification however, can you offer documentation showing the compressor and its components are made and assembled in different Chinese factories? They are both "Made in China".

If so please disclose the Country and factory of origin for the Viair and Smittybilt compressors and individual components.

I am confident the Smittybilt final product assembly is not completed in the Viair factory but I would be very surprised if the two brands did not share a factory early in the supply chain.
Viair should not be in the position of having to defend their quality (or support Smittybilt's quality) based on your "speculation".

·
Registered
111 Posts
JayFF, sorry to tell you but you've got some bad info. Smittybilt compressors are NOT made in VIAIR's factory. Smittybilt compressors are made by Q Industries aka DV innovations. I'm sure you understand, but I don't want another companies to benefit from our reputation so please let feel free to correct your source.

LOL, this is funny, because your reasoning is backwards.

If FOSSIL tells you that their watches are made from the same factory as ROLEX, are you going to believe FOSSIL unless ROLEX can prove otherwise?

Now on a more serious note: if someone from another company is trying to profit from our brand name and reputation by spreading rumors that their parts are made in our factory, please forward me the link or e-mail because we can probably take them to court...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Bob
Bob led a Imogene pass trail run in '09 that I was on and he did a excellent job! :cheers:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Viair should not be in the position of having to defend their quality (or support Smittybilt's quality) based on your "speculation".
Woodsman, the quality of either brand was never in question and never mentioned, only compressor origin. Viair has a stellar reputation, no arguments there, however it is not unreasonable to seek out as much information about a product or manufacturer as possible, it is still a free market here and as such I like to be informed as to the value of the products I purchase, if I discover a competitor brand is manufactured in the same factory under the same conditions and is available at a lower price, I want to know that information.

The fact that Viair refuses to support their claims by providing origin information on their compressors only adds weight to my position. I am not arguing who or where the unit was designed or who markets it, or where it is sold, I only surmise that based on what I was told by the retailer and since both units are "Made in China", and even if the Viair unit was reverse engineered, the chances of the compressors and their components being manufactured in the same factory are very high.

When did it become "Wrong" to question the claims of a corporation? If they want to settle the question, they can prove it with documentation. A simple disclosure of the factory of origin, the Chinese factory, not the U.S. design firm, would do it I'm sure.

Regards

·
Registered
111 Posts
JayFF - I agree you should question everything that you hear so that you can make decisions on your own to the best of your ability.

But if you're going to start then start by asking your source to support his rumor.

The fault in logic that you've fallen victim to is that - You believe in a rumor without supporting evidence. And yet, I, a company representative of VIAIR tells you first-hand, that our factory, the one that we own, doesn't private label for Smittybilt, you count it off as false. :rofl:

That being said, I hope you take some time to question the rumors that you hear...because there's a lot of scams that go around...

For ex: Those e-mails that you get spammed with about Nigerian Princes and the lawyer employed by your long lost uncle in the UK who wants to wire you an inheritance...those are all scams.

Don't tell us to prove that they aren't Nigerian Princes...just take our word for it. ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
JayFF -

For ex: Those e-mails that you get spammed with about Nigerian Princes and the lawyer employed by your long lost uncle in the UK who wants to wire you an inheritance...those are all scams.

Don't tell us to prove that they aren't Nigerian Princes...just take our word for it. ;)
Sure, I will just take your word for it.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Man, give it a rest. It's at the point now where it sounds like you are arguing just to be arguing. You have made your purchase with what you think is the best product for your needs at the best price. Let's discuss something else now!

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Man, give it a rest. It's at the point now where it sounds like you are arguing just to be arguing. You have made your purchase with what you think is the best product for your needs at the best price. Let's discuss something else now!
Yes.

VIAIR rep, thanks for the info.

JayFF, can you post a link to or a website where you read that Smittybuilt compressors and VIAIR compressors are made at the same factory? If not, it sounds like heresay.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sure, I will just take your word for it.
You heard a rumor about our company and then you spread the rumor.

I told you the rumor is false and I have every right to tell you it's false because you're talking about our company.

Once you have actual evidence, please share it with us.

+1

Yes.

VIAIR rep, thanks for the info.

JayFF, can you post a link to or a website where you read that Smittybuilt compressors and VIAIR compressors are made at the same factory? If not, it sounds like heresay.
Thank you Layonnn. I agree if JayFF wants to continue, I hope he brings evidence and not just speculation.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I always find it interesting that when someone compares something to something else, the something else is always the gold standard for that paticular widget. Minus of course Price, Quality, and Customer Service. If you find something for the forum, GREAT. but after that it's eveyones choice to decide after that?

·
Registered
198 Posts
This went way off topic.

I don't like when a vendor or manufacturer has to get into a condescending debate with a consumer. Its unprofessional.

The competition knows what their product is worth and has priced it accordingly. Its up to the consumer to make an informed decision on where to spend their money.

There are trade offs in everything. Quality vs reputation vs price vs usefulness vs performance vs longevity and the list goes on.

If it fits your needs and price point go for it.

If someone wants to make claims and side by side comparisons, that's cool too.

I just think that the vendor should support and stand by their product. Sell from a position of strength. Not get involved in internet debates. Its just low class

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
In general I don't like to see vendor / consumer bickering... but sometimes it's pretty hilarious.

Consumer: I heard you run a whorehouse out of your loading dock and that hookers can be seen loitering with your employees there daily!
Vendor: uhhh I'm standing on the loading dock now... what are you talking about?
Consumer: Hookers, hookers everywhere I know it!!!!
Vendor: ....

Matters of opinion can get ugly, this seems like a matter of fact. The VIAIR guy would know the answer to black and white yes/no question about the company...

·
Registered
111 Posts
This went way off topic.

I don't like when a vendor or manufacturer has to get into a condescending debate with a consumer. Its unprofessional.

The competition knows what their product is worth and has priced it accordingly. Its up to the consumer to make an informed decision on where to spend their money.

There are trade offs in everything. Quality vs reputation vs price vs usefulness vs performance vs longevity and the list goes on.

If it fits your needs and price point go for it.

If someone wants to make claims and side by side comparisons, that's cool too.

I just think that the vendor should support and stand by their product. Sell from a position of strength. Not get involved in internet debates. Its just low class
Radio, the Thread Starter was spreading rumors about VIAIR and I responded to those rumors.

It's not the prettiest part of my job but it's important that we clarify these rumors so they don't spread.

But I agree that I could polish up some of my dialogue.

so true.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts