Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a Ham Radio for my FJ. Was considering the Yaesu FT-7900R. Is it essential to purchase a separate Switching Power Supply for it, or can I just power it off my S-Pod ?
Gigaparts.com was recommending an external separate Samlex 23A Switching power supply.

What say you Ham experts?

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
No you don't

You really don't even need to go through the s-pod. Unless you have open circuits in it, that you will never need . You only need to power this to a fuse panel. Through the s-pod will actually give you a triggered relay for your ham, but that is overkill .

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Preferred wiring is a dedicated circuit, positive and negative conductors with fuses, straight to the battery terminals.

This is to reduce noise generated by other electronics. It also provides redundancy in case of an emergency where your wiring harness may be compromised.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
I suppose I could follow this up with having a second fuse panel, just for these types of accessories. I prefer not using the factory electrical system for any accessories I put in.

There are 2 extra fuse panels in my truck. One under the passenger kick panel and one in the rear cargo area (where the jack is) That way i have versatility on adding stuff

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. Yes I have a extra fuse box in my passenger side kick panel that has 2 openings as well as the Spod.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am in the market for a Ham Radio for my FJ. Was considering the Yaesu FT-7900R. Is it essential to purchase a separate Switching Power Supply for it, or can I just power it off my S-Pod ?
Gigaparts.com was recommending an external separate Samlex 23A Switching power supply.

What say you Ham experts?
Perhaps they were talking about use in the home, not the vehicle? Why you would want to use a power supply in a vehicle for a mobile radio escapes..

The recommended method for powering your radio is to connect it directly to the battery. You will need fused connections or use circuit breakers.

I use a relay inline to the battery to shut off the power when my key is off. It is set up to power the relay when the ACC position is selected. I have a 40A circuit breaker near the relay and also both lines to the radio fused with 25A fuses.

When I do remove the radio for use in the shack I have a 30A switching power supply that will power the radio and any accessories I may want.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts