Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
Hmmm safe for your paint? If diluted properly and then wiped off real well, probably.

Not so much for the wax protecting your paint though :(

If your having trouble removing water spots they likely have bee sealed under a coat of wax. Rather than use vinegar, I'd recommend you strip it (Wash the truck in dish soap). Clay it (yeah it's work but it's worth it), then rewax.

From then on, after washing, make sure youre wiping the water off the truck with a cotton or synthetic cloth and you shouldn't have too many water spots

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was planning on washing, then spray bottle with 50/50 distilled vinegar / water and scrub, wash again, then wax.

If I still see it after step #2, clay bar it is.

BTW - does the clay remove any of the paint?

·
Banned
6,386 Posts
distilled vinegar is really diluted acetic acid.
it works great on windows & glass

pretty sure that it would harm your paint...

Acetic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
old trick was to use distilled vinegar with newspaper, the ammonia in the ink was the ticket!

OP, you`l be breaking your balls trying to get the spots off with vinegar... the way it should be done, it to dampen the paper towel with distilled vinegar and lay onto the surface with spots so the acetic reaction could break down the minerals causing the spots... I`ve done this many times on glass and it is a lot of work...

I agree that clean the paint the proper way and rewax and go from there...

have you looked into Ducky products?

Ducky Products® - The Authority on Water Spot Removal Since 1989.

·
Registered
524 Posts
they use vinegar for hard water stains on glass and to clean coffee pots . try it on an area and see, hard water spots are tough to make invisible, it will not harm the paint but clean it off and wax and polish it and see how it does. the hard water here in TX. is hard to get off and i used a clay bar on a mark some butthead put on my door but i can still see the area and i don't know how to clean it up. so the clay bar might leave more than you want to deal with also..

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Whoa. Water spots? I barely wash mine anymore.

·
Banned
6,386 Posts
speaking of water spots, the salt air here and the rain really kill the luster on the FJ, our rig really needs a good cleaning...
wrench I am, wax on wax off, not so much!:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.