Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members,

I’m new and looking to purchase a 2008 FJ Cruiser, found one in CarGurus for a decent price and was wondering if you guys can help me out. Is this a real TRD FJ Cruiser, i looked online for any badging examples and couldn’t find nothing on if this badging is straight from the manufacturer or is it a fake badge that the owner put own. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured, the price I don’t think it’s bad. But a bit hesitant since he is stating TRD edition, he also listed this on his for sale listing

Trd edition and convenience package. Plasti dipped bumper and rims. Nitto terra grapplers tires on it. Bluetooth adapter for radio. New led bulbs in headlights. Back up sensors. Roof rack. Spare tire cover. Leveling kit. In very good condition “

appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
That doesn't look like anything that I've seen. It appears to be just a decal that was added. Here's a thread for your review.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, read that thread earlier in the day, and just wanted to make sure I wasn’t paying a premium for a TRD package that isn’t there.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I figured, the price I don’t think it’s bad. But a bit hesitant since he is stating TRD edition,
I'm not even sure it has anything TRD on it but that decal. TRD offers an exhaust with shiny tip that extends under the passenger side of the bumper and CARB/ emissions legal air intake. So far it's missing the exhaust in your picture. If it has neither, that's a good negotiating angle. @rotorhed1 info will be more accurate than my ramblings.

I would confirm whether it's a 2wd or 4wd for you're own needs. There is a leap between the two in price.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Let's go to the videotape (or sales brochure in this case for more insight)

2007 TRD SE = Black on Black 4WD models....later became standard for Trail Teams type of model
2008 = sales brochure doesn't show TRD package being offered. Perhaps late in the year they offered on 2WD models only as it was in 09'10 models
2009 = TRD package only available on 2WD Models
2010 = TRD package only available on 2WD models
2011-2012 = TRD package available on 2WD and 4WD models
2013-2014 = not listed in brochure as available.

Of course there could be variations from the brochures. I believe you can go to the Toyota website and look up by VIN how the models were actually equipped from the factory.

For the most part it appears the TRD package was 6 spoke alum wheels, Bilstein shocks, and TRD sticker.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I'm not even sure it has anything TRD on it but that decal. TRD offers an exhaust with shiny tip that extends under the passenger side of the bumper and CARB/ emissions legal air intake. So far it's missing the exhaust in your picture. If it has neither, that's a good negotiating angle. @rotorhed1 info will be more accurate than my ramblings.

I would confirm whether it's a 2wd or 4wd for you're own needs. There is a leap between the two in price.
See my response above. I dont think the TRD package ever included an air intake or shiny exhaust tip. TRD accessories.....could be purchased that included those possibilities.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks guys for the replies, after the inspection came back positive I’m picking it today, flying to drive it back home. One last question that 4.0L emblem was that an oem emblem? I searched for examples but never found one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I figured, the price I don’t think it’s bad. But a bit hesitant since he is stating TRD edition, he also listed this on his for sale listing

Trd edition and convenience package. Plasti dipped bumper and rims. Nitto terra grapplers tires on it. Bluetooth adapter for radio. New led bulbs in headlights. Back up sensors. Roof rack. Spare tire cover. Leveling kit. In very good condition “

appreciate your reply.
You can go to the Toyota site and type in the VIN from the sales ad and see what model the FJ is.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

Thanks guys for the replies, after the inspection came back positive I’m picking it today, flying to drive it back home. One last question that 4.0L emblem was that an oem emblem? I searched for examples but never found one.
No emblem is not OEM. Those wheels are OEM but have been painted. The hood decal non-OEM too. Would guess the mirrors, door handles, bumper wings and rear bumper wings where also painted black by PO.

Make sure this thing is a 4WD model (you probably already did) because the TRD option in '09 and '10 were only for 2WD models. I think he just added the sticker....but just in case they offered the TRD option in late '08 on 2 WD only prior to offering in '09 and '10

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Remember, dealers often stick this crap on vehicles and jack up the price. I've seen all kinds of "Special Additions" at dealers that are in no way a factory option.

Just saying the original owner may have been duped, not intentionally misrepresenting this in his sale.

Good on you for asking the questions!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies, talked to the owner and he did say when he bought it, the decals were out on from dealership, but he did plasti dip the wheels and bumpers, mirrors. But all the decals and the hood were options thrown in from an Arkansas dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, talked to the owner and he did say when he bought it, the decals were out on from dealership, but he did plasti dip the wheels and bumpers, mirrors. But all the decals and the hood were options thrown in from an Arkansas dealership.

Makes sense. Not OEM stuff, but probably decals the dealer puts on for added profit margin from the suckers who bought it originally. The 2010 Trail Teams in Sandstorm did come with the blackout decal on the hood similar to the one on your potential purchase.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive done everything I could to emulate a TT on my 2014. Blackout, TRD exhaust ,etc but I would never put TT or special edition badges on mine. Just doesn't seem right. But that's just me.
Same here, I would try to install many parts and like off the TT and trd version, but would never install a sticker of an official emblem on vehicle. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts