Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Is it just me or are there no good tubular front bumpers out there?

6K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  targa88 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Are you looking for something like a Baja bar, or more substantial? A good local 4x shop should be able to bend some steel however you like, but depends on how diverse you want it to be. ie.:

index

#5 ·
^^ Not bad right there !... :bigthumb:...

#10 ·
Kajo Built has a good tube bumper. FJ FunJunkie has one. From the pics it looks bad a$$! The only thing is that Kajo is located in Hawaii.

Attachments

#23 ·
The MT front tube bumper is moving to the first formal production run right now. We are just waiting for parts back from laser cutting and forming and we can start welding. Barring any delay with our powder coater we should have them back the first week of Jan. (rear bumpers will be shipping right after Christmas and our step sliders are now in stock)

You guys know the bumper and the winch mount are two separate parts? You can run the bumper w/o the winch mount if you want. The tube only part of the bumper has the four light mounts and weighs only 20lbs more than the stock bumper. The winch mount is right at 40lbs, so total is just 60lbs over the stock set up. The #1 reason we split the winch up from the bumper is to properly mount it back on the frame were it belongs and not off the less than 1/8” thin (its 3mm) front stock bumper mounts on the front of the frame. (These are the mounts with the 4 bolts) This stock bumper mount also has four crumple dimples on the frame behind them, reason #2 we don’t want a winch hanging off them. A strong side load with a winch cable will put massive undue stress on these crumple points.

#27 ·
The MT front tube bumper is moving to the first formal production run right now. We are just waiting for parts back from laser cutting and forming and we can start welding. Barring any delay with our powder coater we should have them back the first week of Jan. (rear bumpers will be shipping right after Christmas and our step sliders are now in stock)

Did I miss it? I haven't seen pics of the rear bumper.

K

#34 ·
I'd like to know also!

#35 ·
Re: MT's great tubular front bumper

I love the look, but ... is it street legal, at least in OR and WA?

Does this affect the performance of the air-bag system at all?

thanks
Kurt
Don't know about the legality in OR or WA, but it has no effect on the airbag system, which is managed gyroscopically and has nothing to do with bumpers.

#37 ·
Its on the way, still in prototype form..
Along with the rear bumper that's been in "prototype" for months and months... Pending SAS for a few lucky folks.

#42 ·
We have not finalized the price yet, but would like to see the bumper and winch combo under $699 if we can do it. We will also offer the bumper only w/o the winch mount for less. (Not sure on that yet) This way if you don’t have a winch yet you don’t have to hull the extra 40lbs around for the winch mount until you are ready for it. Its 100% upgrade-able down the road to a winch if you want it later. The bumpers with out the winch will have a stone guard that bolts across the face of the middle of the bumper where the winch sits. Remember pricing is not finalized until we have units ready to ship.

Mark

#43 ·
Thanks for the info. Good pricing too!

#45 ·
In those pictures of the rear bumper there is an integrated hitch receiver. Will the final version allow the OME receiver to remain, as that is what I have now, and I'd like to keep it. Great looking rear!

#46 ·
: front bumper thread hijack on:

You know I battled this for quite some time, I was trying to do just that make it use the stock receiver syst. There is not a clean way to retain the stock receiver and still maximize the departure angle. Also by using the 6 stock 12mm mounting holes in the frame that are reinforced for the receiver are part of the key to just how strong this bumper is.

:/front bumper thread hijack off:

#47 ·
That makes sense. Just another thing for me to sell I guess. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.