Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of building a rack for the machete on the back door.. If a cop stops you and searches your car, can you get in trouble for it?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Don't hang the hockey mask with it though.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Ive had mine on my roof for about 3 months no problem... not even at my school! :lol: and Ive been pulled over once with it up there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great... I was a little worried that such a big blade would get me a ticket from a not-so-nice cop.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
There is usually a lot of misconception of what is and isn't legal. Just go to a donut shop and ask one of the police officers there as it will vary by state. I'm thinking CA might be a little more restrictive than here.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
thats what ive always been told when i purchase large knives.
How are you supposed to get it home from the store?

I think the whole thing would really revolve around how it's in the car. If it's with you by itself... probably an issue. If you have it with a bunch of camping gear, probably not an issue. I keep a large knife in one of my molle packs on my back door, along with a hatchet and entrenching shovel.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In the UK, it is illegal to carry a knife that has a locking blade. Another fine example of a country that has gotten carried away with disarming the law abiding citizens in a feeble attempt to make things safer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if the excuse, "I use it to shave my beard" will work with the cops... I'll just put a can of shaving cream next to it.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
There is usually a lot of misconception of what is and isn't legal. Just go to a donut shop and ask one of the police officers there as it will vary by state. I'm thinking CA might be a little more restrictive than here.
IIRC , it cant be concealed and that's the only catch. If you piss the cop off he's going to get you for what he can anyway.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts