Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJ
268 Posts
Funny, 'cause up here, the firearm cannot be visible from the outside when the vehicle is parked.

When driving or in the vehicle, the rifle or shotty can actually be sitting in a gun rack visible for the world to see. As in any scenario, the firearm must be unloaded.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My son got a ticket (in CA) for having his machete in the car "within" drivers reach. On that note I have one in my vehicle along with a sword, a tire checker aka "club". All my vehicles have camp/survival gear in them so all I have to say is I'm going on a trip.

·
Registered
430 Posts
They are legal to have in you FJ. I work for a land surveying company and we have multiple machetes in all our trucks.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
its illegal in Texas to have a blade longer than 5 inches in your vehicle.
Wrong. A machete, while technically could be classified as an "illegal knife", they are not actually illegal.

Just for Texans:

PENAL CODE**CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

TEXAS PENAL CODE

TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS

CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

There you go, if you're in your vehicle, going to your vehicle, or in your home or otherwise, you can have an 'illegal knife'.

However, I think some place else "tools" are protected, because a machete is the same class of tool as an ax or a chainsaw.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
its legal in florida to have on your hip or in your car its considers a tool like a shovel or an axe not a weapon just like all those bikers that carry around ball pin hammers and big crescent wrenches clearly they hit people with them but they claim its a tool for they're bike.. i keep a machete in my 4x4 for chopping things on the trails but also for self defense but if your a cop asking me its to clean my yard up when i get home

side note thats the exact same machete i have gerber 25$ at dicks good choice :D

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
While there are numerous laws on the books that criminalize just about everything that goes boom, has sharp edges, encourages individualism and Liberty, or is just plain fun to use/own, most of them are not routinely enforced unless A) you are being a d**k or B) you have given the officer a reason to be a d**k (see A).

·
Registered
2007 FJ
268 Posts
can you buy an ar or a pistol with a mag cap over 10 in Canada

I own two AR's and a total of over 65 guns. Yeah, mag caps for handgun mags is 10 rds, rifles are 5. I do own a crapload of LAR mags for my AR's. All our high-cap rifle mags are pinned (by use of a rivet) to 5 rds.

Completely stoopid and ignorant, merely laws to appease the ignorance of those who are less/mis-informed....

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
If you can own something in your home you can have it in your car. Your car is considered your house when it comes to storing things in it. Unless you live in a state that blows donkey dick like illinois.

·
Registered
2007 FJ
268 Posts
Or Canada.

Handguns (and certain black rifles such as AR's) in Canada are considered "restricted" firearms. You can't jus throw them into a car and go plinking in the woods. You need an ATT (Authorisation to transport) permit which is issued only if you are a member of a shooting range.

Any restricted firearm being transported must be;

- Unloaded
- Trigger-locked
- Transported in a "sturdy" container (bag etc) which is also locked
- Ammo may be carried in the same container

With a population of over 35,000,000 Canada has less than 150 people with concealed-firearm permits, which are federally-mandated. Our great commie prime minister Pierre Trudeau did away with carry permits in the late 70's.

The above is a picture of things to come to you folks south of the canadian border if you don't join the NRA & fight for your freedom. I'm canadian, yet I am a proud member of the NRA as well as the canadian version up here.

·
Registered
2007 FJ
268 Posts
Do you ever use that rig or not really? Like do you bring the shotgun camping for protection or is it just more for fun?
Here in Canada, you are not allowed to own/transport/store a firearm for the express reason of personal defence against human predators. You can use a firearm in self-defence if it's justifiable, but owning/keeping/storing on for self-defence is illegal. Same goes for anything else, I might add. Knife, baseball bat, wooden spoon, Q-Tip....

Therefore, I, a law-abiding canadian citizen, transport my shotty in my truck for hunting purposes and trap-shooting. :king:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here in Canada, you are not allowed to own/transport/store a firearm for the express reason of personal defence against human predators. You can use a firearm in self-defence if it's justifiable, but owning/keeping/storing on for self-defence is illegal. Same goes for anything else, I might add. Knife, baseball bat, wooden spoon, Q-Tip....
Wait so you can't keep a gun thats purely for self defense in the house, But if you have a hunting gun you can use that against a home invader?

·
Registered
2007 FJ
268 Posts
As I mentioned; Gun, wooden spoon, bear spray, Q-Tip. If you were stopped with a Bic pen in your pocket and the officer were to ask why you carried that pen and you said self-defence, that's a criminal code violation which carries a 3 yr mandatory sentence. Makes you wanna apply to Immigration-Canada for citizenship, huh?

Welcome to the abomination which is Canada.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
in florida most pick ups have them for landscaping . what if ur a fisherman not alowed to carry a large feilt knife . how would do it then thats just crazy

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm thinking of building a rack for the machete on the back door.. If a cop stops you and searches your car, can you get in trouble for it?

1. Most likely not illegal, check your state's laws.
2. DON'T EVER CONSENT TO A SEARCH

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
It's fine. Others have already stated the obvious which is always maintain your 4th Amendment rights (if in the U.S.) and never consent to a search. My vehicle is my private domain and I carry in it whatever I deem necessary. But then, I maintain a low profile.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
It will vary from state to state. In Louisiana for instance, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home, so it's legal to have a weapon in the FJ. Not all states are so enlightened however. The only state's law with which I'm familiar is Louisiana.

While you do not need to consent to a search (thereby requiring the police to obtain a search warrant to search your vehicle - not all that easy to get), if you have contraband in plain sight, a search warrant is not necessary. So if your state has restrictive laws, keep weapons totally out of sight.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts