Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called today because I want to make sure I am on the top of the list so I don't end up having to wait longer than needed to get my FJ, but they said they won't take deposits until they have pricing information from Toyota.

Anyone else have this experience?

-Ethan

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I've heard that from a couple dealers too. I wouldn't sweat it, even if you have your name on a list by end of year it shouldn't be a problem.

As someone pointed out on another thread, some dealers don't really honor deposits anyway, they just use it as an excuse to get money from potential buyers. Even if they are willing to refund your money if you don't buy they still get the benefit of holding your money until that day comes.

When placing a deposit try and get a couple things in writting:

1) "Dealer will not charge a price higher then MSRP"

(for what it is worth make sure it does not say "Dealer will charge MSRP" this gives you some chance to barter if this truck turns out to be easier to get then expected)

2) "No add-ons/additions can be added without permission from you."

This includes: door protectors, wheel locks, pin stripes, etc... When your at a dealer walk around and look at the cars on the lot, if you see a seperate "sticker" next to the factory sticker detailing this be very careful. Dealers use this as a way to suck some extra money out of you for pretty much worthless add-ons. Personaly, I flat out refuse to buy a car from places that do this. $115 for $20 wheel locks!!! :mad:

3) "By placing deposit you have right of first refusal on all FJ's received by dealer prior to the one you ordered"

This is assuming that you are first on the "list". This is also a hard sell, some dealers flat out refuse to do this but this is your insurance that you get first crack. If they do sell one out from under you, you will have some bargining power to reduce the price of the one you end up getting. This happened to me when I ordered my dodge. My truck came in and a "new sales person" sold it before I could be called. Honestly, I truly doubt that this was an honest mistake but because I had it in writing I was able to get the dealer to find another one spec'd how I wanted and I ended up getting a couple more options then I ordered and paid $1K less then the original agreement was for.

Just my 2 beans,

Granger

·
Registered
132 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't really want the very first vehicles that come off the assembly line. I would want to give it a couple of weeks so that the little assembly issues can be worked out.

just my .02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts