Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an FJ cruise that has supposedly been in storage since the guy bought it in 2014. Only has 26 miles on it. The dealer says the previous owner did this on purpose and the vehicle is in excellent shape. As much as I would love to have a pristine FJ, is it really worth $45,000??? I'm not a collector, but this is the only vehicle I can find with vinyl flooring. Thanks!

·
Registered
259 Posts
There are bound to be cheaper options out there if all you want is vinyl flooring.

As said, someone will probably buy it at that price, but you have to decide what it's worth to you.

TT

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Not IMO but just depends what you're looking for. Is it a TTUE?

If its the TTUE, the owner who thought it was a good idea to stuff it away for 5-6 years only made about $5k on his investment if he get full asking price. That's less than 12.5% ROI once you factor insurance, taxes, new tires, oil change, storage cost/space etc.....

·
A-Team Moderator
7,958 Posts
KBB trade-in value on an auto trans and standard features since you listed none of them including CRAWL Control, but I added keyless entry, JBL Sound and backup camera. Crawl is not a KBB option.

w/out TTUE $34,792, with TTUE $35,032-$36,094.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Not IMO but just depends what you're looking for. Is it a TTUE?

If its the TTUE, the owner who thought it was a good idea to stuff it away for 5-6 years only made about $5k on his investment if he get full asking price. That's less than 12.5% ROI once you factor insurance, taxes, new tires, oil change, storage cost/space etc.....
12.4 is not a bad investment.
I’ll take it all day long

You know banks are lending money at ~4?

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
12.4 is not a bad investment.
I’ll take it all day long

You know banks are lending money at ~4?
After 6 years it is IMO. And that doesn't count all the expenses I just listed.

If $40,000 was invested in the stock market at 10% return per year he would have nearly doubled his money in 6 years.

·
Desert Moderator
5,608 Posts
Even as an investment long term it's not great - They're still building them for the Middle East & African markets...
You might say that will stop soon because of XYZ, but just look at the 70 series - same markets plus Australia since debut in '84. That's a 35 year production run and counting. The 40 was only 25 years.
Have a look at the new LR Defender, and tell me that it's not been influenced by the FJC? Yep, The FJ will be around for a few more years.

·
トヨタ Master
5,565 Posts
Even as an investment long term it's not great - They're still building them for the Middle East & African markets...
You might say that will stop soon because of XYZ, but just look at the 70 series - same markets plus Australia since debut in '84. That's a 35 year production run and counting. The 40 was only 25 years.
Have a look at the new LR Defender, and tell me that it's not been influenced by the FJC? Yep, The FJ will be around for a few more years.
IDK, looks more like a Ford Flex, which could share a platform as LR was owned by Ford until recently. Either way, stuff an LS drivetrain and Toyota solid axles in it, ditch the British wiring, and you might have something.

·
Desert Moderator
5,608 Posts
IDK, looks more like a Ford Flex, which could share a platform as LR was owned by Ford until recently. Either way, stuff an LS drivetrain and Toyota solid axles in it, ditch the British wiring, and you might have something.
They're made somewhere in eastern Europe I believe...

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
After 6 years it is IMO. And that doesn't count all the expenses I just listed.

If $40,000 was invested in the stock market at 10% return per year he would have nearly doubled his money in 6 years.
My bad
Old age

2% ROI per annum

Nope, not to good

Help us with the math please

I’ll still take 12.4%..…per year

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I know of nothing being sold in the US right now that is off road awesome has decent power and looks good/different like the FJ right now. Anyone seen the new Blazer yet.... looks like a grocery getter from hell, embarrassing. Bring back the old k5...

Attachments

·
Desert Moderator
5,608 Posts
I know of nothing being sold in the US right now that is off road awesome has decent power and looks good/different like the FJ right now. Anyone seen the new Blazer yet.... looks like a grocery getter from hell, embarrassing. Bring back the old k5...
Only the new Defender. That hybrid drive train looks... interesting. Plenty of torque.
The "Commercial Van" bodystyle that gets rid of the rear seats & rear side glass is also pretty interesting.
Maybe time for Toyota to do a modern update on the '70... Or a new FJ still based on the J150 platform (FJC/Prado/GX460/4Runner) or whatever comes to replace that platform.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Only the new Defender. That hybrid drive train looks... interesting. Plenty of torque.
The "Commercial Van" bodystyle that gets rid of the rear seats & rear side glass is also pretty interesting.
Maybe time for Toyota to do a modern update on the '70... Or a new FJ still based on the J150 platform (FJC/Prado/GX460/4Runner) or whatever comes to replace that platform.
I had to google the Defender. Looks great, don't see any in the states though. It's getting off road vehicle bland over here...

·
Desert Moderator
5,608 Posts
I had to google the Defender. Looks great, don't see any in the states though. It's getting off road vehicle bland over here...
It's only just been announced. I don't think there's any in the wild anywhere yet.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Short answer...NO. Just a dealer trying to rip somebody off. Mine brand new was $30,000 :)
I paid $19,999 for my base model brand new.

To most of us nerds it is not worth it. To John Q public....it is worth it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts