Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made more adjustments to my suspension to level it but I'm wondering if I'm exceeding safe limits. The new rear Sway-A-Way springs lifted the rear end by 2", not 1.5". To compensate I raised the Bilstein 5100s to the third notch which with my Eibach springs puts the front end at 3 1/4" The truck drives great, does not bottom out, it's level, and the spring rate is now perfectly equal at all four corners. It's well controlled and with the new alignment it tracks straight. I tested it on some whoops at high speed and everything was OK. Toytec told me to put the front springs back down on the second notch and install some rear springs with less lift. They suggested the OME895E. They sold me the AFE Sway-A-Way rear springs as 1.5" lift springs which they were not. Is this going to become a science project or can I leave it as is (see pictures)?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
IMO the issues that need to be evaluated are the angle of the CVs at that height and topping out (limited down travel). Just from the far away pics, it looks like your UCA is at a pretty severe angle.

Post some pics of the CV angle.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Looks a lot like mine, I have Bilstein 6112s at the top notch and 2" rear Icon springs. The only problem I had was running out of camber on the steering, was feeling every bump. I lived with it for a year then got aftermarket UCAs that added back in 2 degrees of camber and am happy with the ride. I have taken it off road in Moab and Ouray and elsewhere.

Sounds like you are doing fine.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
If you can take a photo of the CV axles on level ground. lets see what the angle looks like. and one of the upper control arm. how many miles have you driven since the lift it should settle a little.what spring rate are the front springs. this is what mine look like 6112's third notch 650lbs spring no diff drop.my truck is some what heavy.
DSC_0116.JPG

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone who commented. I will post pictures of the components tomorrow. Though the truck drives great and feels perfect I know that it's near the high side of the lift. Bilstein says 3" and I'm at 3 1/4". I didn't want to go quite this high but here I am. From what's been mentioned I should do a diff drop and new upper control arms. The front springs are 620 lbs and the rears are 190 lbs. I have the numbers from Tom's and the caster is at 2.2 and the camber is near 0.0. They were able to move the alignment bolts just enough. Steering is dead neutral, almost no bump steer. In fact it rides much better than it ever did. I have 75 miles on this lift and I'm running it around on bumps at lunch time. No clunks or thumps or pops. It feels soft until you make a hard turn then it tightens up. Very compliant on the whoops. I know there are better options but this setup feels great. I'm sure I will be saying that until I break something.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Stephos,

First thing looks to me like the black spring plate on the bottom is up side down would need a better photo to tell for sure. you have quite a bit of cv angle looks like the ribs on the boots are rubbing toward the diff and the outer end at the wheel. the UCA has alot of angle also.
pretty sure if the bottom plates are up side down it would give you more lift and the spring will not be seated correctly.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JKFJ08,
Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Yes, they are installed just like that, the way Bilstein says. Not rubbing yet on the CV but they are close. There is more angle than I would like. The place that did the work is pretty well known for Jeeps, Tom's Automotive. Tom had this to say "It's a bit high but give it time to settle. I would do the dif drop and put in new UCAs to make your front end last longer. The alignment has perfect caster and camber but there is no more adjustment left. The tires will not wear and it drives true, no bump steer. Leave it alone! Don't use it for rock crawling and don't jump it!!!". So what I have is a dirt road, sand, and snow setup. That's what he's telling me. It drives perfect which is why I'm afraid to fool with it. Should I wait and see if it settles? Tom said the springs were really stiff. Everything came from Toytec and when I bought everything I told them I wanted a good ride on the freeway. That part is true and them seem to work fine on dirt roads. They know about this and I'm waiting to see what they have to say. Last time we talked they were wondering if they should comp me with new parts. I think they are baffled because everything should be at 2.75". Both the front and rear components raised the truck more than we though it would. I still think the springs are too tall.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I ran 5100's with 620lb Toytec Eibach springs, SPC UCA'S for over 100000 miles with a 1.5" rear Coil Spring Specialties springs with 5100'S in the rear.the back was over 1.5 when first installed but settled. I did not get that much lift in the front. it settled about 1/2" after install. my FJ gets wheeled a lot and I was very happy with the 5100's. at about 130000 miles the passenger front started leaking. that was when I went to the 6112, 5160 rear set up.
I was searching some of my old post looking for a photo of my FJ with that set up but it looks like with the new forum my photos in the old post have disappeared.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Stephous,

I was thinking about this some more and the 620lb spring give you 1.6" of lift on the bottom notch with 5100'S

this is off of the ToyTec site

620LB coils will help support some extra weight.

Can be used with Bilstein Height adjustable shocks and other lift options for additional lift. Note clip settings will be different than the Bilstein settings.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JKFJ08,
What you used to run is very close to what I'm running now. The only difference is the AFE rear springs. Toytec was surprised that the rears gave me over 2" of lift. So the back end was 2" higher than the front. Toytec was on the phone with the installer and suggested that the springs would settle. I have not seen that happen yet. When I went back the installer they brought the front end up from 2.45" to 3.30", re-aligned it, and said that everything would settle, give it time. We shall see. If not I need to get back on the phone with Toytec and find out what they are going to do for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to a new shop and they dialed everything down to 2.75", no lean, no spacers, and it's level. The shop found all the problems with springs being set incorrectly. My CV angles are lower and the truck glides through pot holes. The name of the shop is Tom's Automotive and he has been setting up off road rigs for years. No more weird noises. The truck feels amazing (pictures).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts