Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
RYU - Rugged Youthful Utility, still can't imagine why they didn't call it that, instead of "FJCruiser"!

(Ryu means "dragon" in Japanese, so we all would have thought that was cool).

:)

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
"Is the best used Toyota SUV you can buy" is, in my opinion, incorrect.

Let's consider that "Toyota SUV" for our purposes is any body-on-frame SUV with a Toyota badge sold in the US. So that's: 4Runner, FJ, Sequoia. If your interest is offroading, throw the Sequoia out. So how does the 4Runner stack up to the FJ? On resale, the 4Runner is cheaper for the same year/miles. On-road, it's more comfortable, better optioned (heated seats, navi, sunroof), has 4 full doors. Off-road, it's only marginally less capable, mainly in rear overhang length. I've offroaded both extensively, they're marginally different. On-road, the 4Runner is unarguably the better vehicle.

And none of this ^^^ considers the Lexus GX, which is basically a luxury V8 4Runner (same 109-inch wheelbase), which you can buy heavily depreciated in the mid $20's.

A quick comparison: here's a 2013 FJ with 49K miles for $26.8K. Second to last year made, low miles for the year, a clean truck if you missed out on buying an FJ when they were still made.

Or, here's a 2013 Lexus GX460 with the same miles for $25K. V8, leather, heated / cooled seats, sunroof, climate control, navigation. Want to build it for offroading? Here you go.

As the guy who wrote the buy/sell guide for FJ's, you over-pay for an FJ because you want an FJ. If you just want a used, capable body-on-frame Toyota 4x4, there are much better deals out there than the FJ.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
My vote goes to the GX470. Can get them for ~$12k with 110k miles. That leaves a lot of money left over for mods (albeit necessary).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts