1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think you can say goodbye to the soccer moms. The real enthusiasts will stick around.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I disagree with that article. The way I see it, there will always be families with kids that need to go camping, to soccer games, to the lake, to whatever. Someone will always need extra room. Yes people are scared now, but wait it will come around.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The thirstiest SUVs will take a hit but the 20mpg on freeway SUVs such as the FJ won't die anytime soon. There are alot of non-SUVs that get the same mpgs.
I read another blurb that it costs $100,000 per five years to keep an suv. What are they smoking?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just on hold until new type of fuel/engine is perfected that is reliable, effecient and cost effective...just a matter of time...maybe, I hope, someday, perhaps...I'm sure the Japanese will come up with something sooner or later.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I vote life support (for the time being).

Those who don't really *need* an interanl combustion gasoline powered SUV will no longer be able to afford to drive them (excluding the very rich).

It might make them more desireable to the masses though.....as it will show someone's "wealth" by being able to afford such extravagance. People are F'd up like that.

Sean

·
Registered
634 Posts
I personally think that the days of the large SUV (sub 15mpg) are numbered. I would imagine that the people who required the space of an SUV are now moving over to minivans and station wagons which average 25mpg.

Give toyota some time, I'm sure we'll see a Hybrid Sequoia and Landcruiser/LX570 running the LS460h motor eventually.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Folks that actually use a full-size SUV to tow trailers and haul several people and gear will continue to drive them. There are no real alternatives. I think you will see far fewer SUVs with only a driver and no cargo.

One benefit of more expensive energy costs is people are less wasteful.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I think the SUV "as we know it" or "in it's current incarnation" will no longer exist. There will be changes, such as flex fuel vehicles, hybrids, or other such alternative fuel models. They will be lighter weight, more aerodynamic, less drag vehicles. When we wanna go wheeling, they will be more than capable, but will require swapping rims/tires to the off-road set (the on-road set will be to skinny, small and light to handle off road).

Now that is just my opinion, and not the opinion of this station or it's sponsors.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The thirstiest SUVs will take a hit but the 20mpg on freeway SUVs such as the FJ won't die anytime soon. There are alot of non-SUVs that get the same mpgs.
I read another blurb that it costs $100,000 per five years to keep an suv. What are they smoking?
For US Snooze & Worst Report, the $100K for ownership probably goes along the lines of purchase price, gas, maintenance, insurance, something with the home, carry the 1, etc and with the right mix (super gas guzzling $50K SUV, 400 miles/week, etc.) you could maybe hit $60K. But they don't like SUVs and will sensationalize to help the cause.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I think the larger Tahoe, Excursion type SUV's may be in trouble but like the others have said, they're soccer Mom's whos husband has a six figure job that allows her to stay home.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
the SUV died over 20 years ago when ford, then others decided to make ***** family haulers out of what was once a segment of purpose built, indestructible 4x4's and continued to make them into bastardized fashion statements for 'active lifestyle' asstards who could barely lift the big mac to their fat faces let alone run a marathon or bike 100 miles.

the truck that preceded it was a "four by four" off road wagon or "jeep" that still exists today in dinosaurs like the defenders and land cruiser 70 series you can't buy in america.

i say good riddance to that piece of sh!t. maybe when the final poser trash SUV disappears we'll be able to get real 4x4's in this country again, without leather, navigation, heated seats, power windows, carpets, etc.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
It won't die. The enthusiasts will continue to buy what they want. The SUV is no worse then some of the high powered sports cars. At least the SUV seats at least 5.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's been having a slow death for awhile now....why do you think the industry came up with "crossovers" and "utes" you know those cute SUV but really are a station wagon just a little higher up.

Crossovers are the "new SUV's"...feels like a SUV but has carlike mannerism.

I kinda like the GMC Acadia...but would I buy one... nah....I would probably buy a Dodge Challenger or a Chevy Camaro first.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I can't take the whole family and dogs camping in a car or an FJ for that matter. Although I took my 3 kids camping yesterday in the FJ. I don't think the SUV will ever die. We will be making trips wisely and saving in other areas to offset gas costs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts