Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning the undercarriage of my FJ I noticed the passenger side CV axle had a ton of gunk caked up near the boot (see pictures below). Further, the frame behind the axle was also caked with gunk. It feels pretty think and it a black color. I don't think it's mud.

So, is the obvious answer here that this axle is oozing some grease? How worried should I be about this?

Below I have some pictures of the passenger side axle and driver side axle for comparison.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,110 Posts
Yes looks like it may have been leaking grease. Have you seen any underneath where you park it? I’d clean it up and watch carefully for new grease to get a sense of how rapid. Also check the clamps to see if they’re loose. You can replace the clamps (with non OE) without having to remove the axle. But would be a good idea to figure out how much grease you may have lost, and how.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Deb

I've never noticed any grease on the ground. It seems too think to drip. Anyway, it would probably just drip into the LCA skids below.

I plan to install a lift in a couple weeks. So, I can get a better view.

I'll clean it up and replace the clamps and then keep an eye on it. I assume it's okay to use any old ring clamp? Maybe coat it to prevent rust?

Any other advice? while I have everything off?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,110 Posts
If a lot is leaking out it can show up as blobs. Also you should inspect for any cracks in the boot after you get it cleaned up. Looks to me like the most likely story is loose clamps, but the OE clamps cannot be tightened or reused. You can use regular hose clamps but they’re wider than the channel. I’ve bought FJ specific sets of boot hose clamps off eBay in the past that are the correct width, and stainless steel. Maybe you can find them there...if not let me know. GL!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts