Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...an engine in the FJ that is a little more "fuel friendly"? There are plently of ways the MPG and the required octaine used can be made more appealing without sacrificing Horsepower.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I appears Toyota is seriously considering a diesel option for the FJ.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Diesels are typically about 30% more fuel efficient than gasoline engines. Around here diesel is more expensive but only about 50 cents more per gallon ($4.19 vs $4.69). So that's a 12% cost penalty on a fuel that should bring a 30% better mpg (at current prices). Now when you add in the additional cost of the diesel engine, you can calculate your break even point by the number of miles you drive.

In years past diesel was actually cheaper than RUL and even as recently as a year ago, was about the same price.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Remember when the first (major) diesel passenger car (VW rabbit) hit the US market? Diesel was 25% the cost of regular gas around here. In less than a year it was almost the same. When people start buying more, it'll only go higher.. Ron

Diesels are typically about 30% more fuel efficient than gasoline engines. Around here diesel is more expensive but only about 50 cents more per gallon ($4.19 vs $4.69). So that's a 12% cost penalty on a fuel that should bring a 30% better mpg (at current prices). Now when you add in the additional cost of the diesel engine, you can calculate your break even point by the number of miles you drive.

In years past diesel was actually cheaper than RUL and even as recently as a year ago, was about the same price.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
The latest issue of Motor Trend has a big article about past diesel (VW, Cadillac, Mercedes) and upcoming diesels.

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts

DEWFPO
As a former diesel truck owner, your numbers sound about right, but you forgot a couple things.......Diesels usually need more oil at every change, more frequent fuel filter replacement and Injectors cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Other than that, they are the way to go. Did I mention that injectors cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Speaking to UKHOOPZ's initial post: 'without sacrificing horsepower', so maybe a turbo-diesel?
Then again, I don't believe we're talking about the little diesels like they put in the Liberty, how many out there have had a diesel in a 4,300 lb or heavier vehicle? It will take a lot of HP and Torque to give it the same or better acceleration, for example, as Toyota's 4.0 gas engine.
Then there's the initial expense to purchase the 'diesel option', maybe several thousand dollars to get a powerful version to match the stock 4.0 gas engine. Some people visiting from 'overseas' , where a lot of off-road oriented vehicles are diesel, thought their base diesels were fast until they took a ride in a gas powered SUV over here. I can guess that a diesel fan would, but I wonder if the average American FJC buyer would sacrifice on road performance for a low HP diesel that produced a few MPG better fuel economy. Or would most buyers demand the same or better performance, thus driving up the cost of the diesel option.
Then the cost of fuel, currently $.70 to $1.00 more per gallon than gas around here.
Also when it's time for an oil change. $
With an extra cost high performance diesel option to match the performance of the 4.0 gas, it could take several years and well over 100,000 miles to reach a break even point vs. someone who purchased their FJC or 4Runner with the standard, no extra cost 4.0 gas engine.
Are there really that many people willing to pay thousands extra up front and an extra $15.00 or more every time they fill up for such an option?

Is a diesel option going to be the answer or, as the intial post implies, are there 'plently of ways the MPG and the required octaine used can be made more appealing without sacrificing Horsepower.'

I'd like to know myself. Any non-diesel solutions out there?

·
Registered
477 Posts
acruxksa, my neighbors with Cummins, Powerstroke and Duramax would agree with you about the maint. costs.
Plus, they all paid an extra $5,500 or so for the 'diesel option w/HD auto trans' over the regular gas engine. Then again, they love their trucks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
In other parts of the world for Land Cruisers there seems to be two options for engines:

a) 4.0-litre Gasoline Engine (1GR-FE)
b) 4.5-litre Diesel Engine (1VD-FTV)

Which begs the question - will the 1VD-FTV fit in the engine bay of the FJ?
I think this engine maybe branded in europe as the V8 D-4D, 286 Hp., 442 ft. lb.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is the 3.0 liter diesel in the Prado 1KD-FTV Turbo Diesel (D-4D] and the Prado engine uses the same auto transmission.
There are many cost effective ways to save fuel and get lots of power. I'd start by dumping the current engine and tranny and replace it with a large electric motor and add a CARB continuous duty diesel generator under the hood and call it good! Hell, trains and ships have used this setup for 70 years why not cars? Your effiiency would only be limited to the hourly consumption of your generator! Diesel generator $3k electric motor(250hp/ 600ftlb tq) w/controller 5K. I think that's about what the dealer would charge for a new 4.0L motor and auto tranny, you could even make the sysem module and swap it after you flip iyou FJ because you forgot about the massive torque electric motors have.
:clap:
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Fuel friendly=Prius Offroad Beast=FJ

Pick your poison amigo! :bandit:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fuel friendly=Prius Offroad Beast=FJ

Pick your poison amigo! :bandit:
I know we can have both (power and efficiency) it's just a matter of time before an automaker wakes up and simply does it is all. Reminds me of the 70's Emissions
Hearings the big 3 had before congress when they said that the upcoming emissions standards were too tough to meet and they needed a 10 year extension. Mr. Honda rolled out the CVCC and the big 3 laughed at the car and the rest is history!
:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts