Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask because; 1) People seem to like to spend extra money for chrome bling; 2) I see basic FJ's that someone puts a TRD exhaust tip on a vanilla exhaust system, and most importantly, 3) mine feel off and I don't really feel like replacing it (story below).

Last weekend, during an eventful quick overnight and overland trip to Moab, I did a full-moon run 2/3rds of the way to Chicken Corners. I went to sleep in the car around 1:30 a.m. and at dawn, I woke and drove out to the end of the trail. On my way back, I saw a piece of 4x4 flotsam on the trail. As a courtesy, I stopped to pick it up and keep nature pristine. To my amusement, it was my exhaust tip. It wasn't damaged; it just shook off - no harm done. It's sitting in my garage in a cardboard box and I can't really think of any reason to put it back on. In fact, the guru at the 4x4 build stop in a nearby town, often cuts exhausts short, just behind the rear axel.

So I ask, is there any real purpose to an exhaust tip? They do make a nice metal scrapping noise grating against slickrock. Though, I prefer the reassuring sound of my tow bar receiver keeping the sensitive bits of the car safe

·
Premium Member
11,831 Posts
Don't believe the others.

A well built exhaust tip will help streamline the exhaust gases as it exits creating a low pressure area which in return assists in drawing out the turbulant exhaust gas.

I do also have a Bridge for sale and some ocean front property in Arizona.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Ha ha I have one of those in a box too... best place for it...

Dealer fitted mine, I took it straight off, maybe it's a dealer ploy to sell more exhausts since the added length makes the exhaust even more vulnerable

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Every time you remove an exhaust tip a unicorn dies.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ask because; 1) People seem to like to spend extra money for chrome bling; 2) I see basic FJ's that someone puts a TRD exhaust tip on a vanilla exhaust system, and most importantly, 3) mine feel off and I don't really feel like replacing it (story below).

Last weekend, during an eventful quick overnight and overland trip to Moab, I did a full-moon run 2/3rds of the way to Chicken Corners. I went to sleep in the car around 1:30 a.m. and at dawn, I woke and drove out to the end of the trail. On my way back, I saw a piece of 4x4 flotsam on the trail. As a courtesy, I stopped to pick it up and keep nature pristine. To my amusement, it was my exhaust tip. It wasn't damaged; it just shook off - no harm done. It's sitting in my garage in a cardboard box and I can't really think of any reason to put it back on. In fact, the guru at the 4x4 build stop in a nearby town, often cuts exhausts short, just behind the rear axel.

So I ask, is there any real purpose to an exhaust tip? They do make a nice metal scrapping noise grating against slickrock. Though, I prefer the reassuring sound of my tow bar receiver keeping the sensitive bits of the car safe

I've also heard they prevent global warming and save baby panda bears. My daughter will be so happy if I reinstall it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
tried to delete message, like my exhaust tip

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a nice one for the taking. Freshly picked off of a trail in Moab (after falling off my FJ). Just washed and has "MBRP Inc." raised lettering... ooo! Maybe MBRP stands for something like Much Better Ridiculous Performance.

I think I'll leave it in a box.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey! I have MBRP exhaust. I wonder how it would look on my high-tuck tailpipe...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Vrrrrroom! I'm sure it will enhance appendages.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
A properly designed and tuned exhaust tip provides a large friction area to reflect and dissipate sound energy, thus reducing the dB level. Because no significant backpressure has been introduced, the engine is still able to use the scavenge ability of a good header to create horsepower and torque. Dyno and track testing show significant noise reduction with little or no power loss.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A properly designed and tuned exhaust tip provides a large friction area to reflect and dissipate sound energy, thus reducing the dB level. Because no significant backpressure has been introduced, the engine is still able to use the scavenge ability of a good header to create horsepower and torque. Dyno and track testing show significant noise reduction with little or no power loss.

Sounds legit, but I don't notice a difference. I'm still LMAO at some of the comments in the thread and hope for more.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've also heard they prevent global warming and save baby panda bears. My daughter will be so happy if I reinstall it.

but, but I was taught it was polar bears.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Better than stickers!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts