Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two Type-R's for awhile now hooked up in the back in a MTX sealed dual wood enclosure, which costed about 60$ *enclosure* recently I installed them in Nazars 2x10 enclosure for the FJ which is fiber glass...now the subs produce hardly any bass, and sound horrible, is there any reason for this or was the previous box, a better box for sound?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I've had two Type-R's for awhile now hooked up in the back in a MTX sealed dual wood enclosure, which costed about 60$ *enclosure* recently I installed them in Nazars 2x10 enclosure for the FJ which is fiber glass...now the subs produce hardly any bass, and sound horrible, is there any reason for this or was the previous box, a better box for sound?
check to make sure they are in phase and wired correctly. if you have a monoblock amplifier, unplugs the woofers speaker leads from it. touch the + to the + on a 12v-14v cordless tool, and the - to the -. they should move out then in. if they move in then out, you have a problem.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check to make sure they are in phase and wired correctly. if you have a monoblock amplifier, unplugs the woofers speaker leads from it. touch the + to the + on a 12v-14v cordless tool, and the - to the -. they should move out then in. if they move in then out, you have a problem.
I know for a fact the wiring is all correct, that's why I'm so suprised that when I put them in this new enclosure they hit..but it's not much bass...it's odd, they move just as much as before (the sub itself) but nowhere near as much bass comes out anymore.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I know for a fact the wiring is all correct, that's why I'm so suprised that when I put them in this new enclosure they hit..but it's not much bass...it's odd, they move just as much as before (the sub itself) but nowhere near as much bass comes out anymore.
just check it. i check every one of my installs afterwards. the box probably isnt the optimal amount of airspace. i cannot emphisize the correct size enclosure enough. as i said somewhere else recently, when i had my old truck (05 silverado ext cab) i would kick peoples asses with a single 10" when they were rocking three 12"s with more power. its all about the right box.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just check it. i check every one of my installs afterwards. the box probably isnt the optimal amount of airspace. i cannot emphisize the correct size enclosure enough. as i said somewhere else recently, when i had my old truck (05 silverado ext cab) i would kick peoples asses with a single 10" when they were rocking three 12"s with more power. its all about the right box.
Checked the wiring...all fine...I guess the Wicked Cas box just sucks with the Alpines...I'll look into MTX's new "Super Woofers" which I hear are excellent.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Checked the wiring...all fine...I guess the Wicked Cas box just sucks with the Alpines...I'll look into MTX's new "Super Woofers" which I hear are excellent.
The box was designed for the JL Subs, You should just do what we talked about.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The box was designed for the JL Subs, You should just do what we talked about.
I really don't want to spend 500$ on W6s...is it possible (and I know this is a slim chance) that I can return the enclosure and pay a touch up fee such as 50-70$ for you to fix it up so you can resale it? I think after all this I'm just going to go with some 12" mtxs...

·
Registered
675 Posts
I really don't want to spend 500$ on W6s...is it possible (and I know this is a slim chance) that I can return the enclosure and pay a touch up fee such as 50-70$ for you to fix it up so you can resale it? I think after all this I'm just going to go with some 12" mtxs...
You have PM.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, we ended up testing five sub woofers in the Wicked Cas 10x2, clearly it made made specfically for JL, because NONE of the sub woofers that we tested pushed ANY air in the wicked cas box, where as the mdf sealed 60$ one they were pushing some serious bass. We tested out the Kicker CVR, Pioneer Champion, JVC Aresenal, Alpine Type-R (of course) and the Alpine Type-E, apparently all of these need much more air...

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, just wanting everyone to know that I AM NOT bashing Nazars enclosures. My buddy has two with FOUR w6's and it sounds fantastic, I'm simply saying that it didn't work out for what I was putting in it...Nazar is being very helpful with this so A+ to Wicked Cas for the support.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well, we ended up testing five sub woofers in the Wicked Cas 10x2, clearly it made made specfically for JL, because NONE of the sub woofers that we tested pushed ANY air in the wicked cas box, where as the mdf sealed 60$ one they were pushing some serious bass. We tested out the Kicker CVR, Pioneer Champion, JVC Aresenal, Alpine Type-R (of course) and the Alpine Type-E, apparently all of these need much more air...
Just curious, are you testing these in-vehicle, or outside the vehicle?

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey steamfire did you try and fill the inside of the box with polyfil? this can "trick" your subs into thinking they are in a bigger box.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
hey steamfire did you try and fill the inside of the box with polyfil? this can "trick" your subs into thinking they are in a bigger box.
polyfill wont cure his problem. hardcore medication would only scratch the surface. and i dont think steamypoo will be responding anytime soon, well not at least under that name.....

and polyfill doesnt trick the woofers into thinking they are in a bigger box. that is the biggest misconception i hear.

·
Registered
248 Posts
just out of curiosity, how much air space does the box containing the Alpines have? Is it single or divided chamber? Are you running more than one bass amp?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
polyfill wont cure his problem. hardcore medication would only scratch the surface. and i dont think steamypoo will be responding anytime soon, well not at least under that name.....

and polyfill doesnt trick the woofers into thinking they are in a bigger box. that is the biggest misconception i hear.
Sorry but that was funny!:lol: And Steamfire was banned so he's not gonna respond to this thread. And yes Briman is right about polyfill.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts