Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well if it is a misconception, it is pretty widespread. I have been reading up alot on this lately since I'am in the process of putting a system together for my FJ, and the theory/explanation people give on the issue makes sense. I am no physicist to know for a fact if its true or not, but like I said it makes sense. If all else fails, you tried and spent 10 bucks trying to get your enclosure to work instead of kayboshing your $500 box.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Well if it is a misconception, it is pretty widespread. I have been reading up alot on this lately since I'am in the process of putting a system together for my FJ, and the theory/explanation people give on the issue makes sense. I am no physicist to know for a fact if its true or not, but like I said it makes sense. If all else fails, you tried and spent 10 bucks trying to get your enclosure to work instead of kayboshing your $500 box.
first, where are you getting your info from?

second, what is this explanation?

and third, where are you getting your boxes that cost 500 a whack? because the nicest of boxes generally cost around $300 at the top shops. thats built completely to your woofer, ports routered, bracing routered, vinyled, built specific to the car so the fit is perfect. i mean, a truely built to fit box.

a custom sealed enclosure will usually be about 75-100 bucks less.

and the cost of building one yourself if you have the skills and equipment is usually about 50 bucks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well the information comes from various sources. A simple google search will yield them. Here are a couple of the links that I found to be more helpful including an entire text book on how to put together a sound system.

The Subwoofer DIY Page v1.1 - Sealed Systems (look under design notes)

Loudspeaker construction (First the section titled: Raison d'être for a speaker enclosure. secondly: Creating a sound sponge)

Secondly, the explanation is explained much better on those pages, but in essence it muffles the resonance frequencys that should not exist in a bigger enclosure, therefore this provides the sound of a bigger enclosure without it actually being that size.

Lastly, I Live in Canada, and custom stereo work is not cheap in my part of the country. If I were to walk into a stereo shop and get a quote on a custome built enclosure (fibreglass) it would easily be in the +$700 range. Where as the Wicked Cas enclosure only cost me $482 exactly (including shipping) to my door.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
internet is a terrible source for audio. the basics is ok. but we have many self proclaimed experts on the subject that pass on incorrect information as fact. i am nowhere near an expert, although i know the subject extremely well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah but the internet is also filled with lots of good information on all subjects, and if anyone took the time to write these extensive articles on the issue, copyright them, and put thier names on them. I would imagine they know a thing or two on the subject and are actual experts. That being said I think these are two reliable sources. Im sure if the time were taken many more could be found.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Yeah but the internet is also filled with lots of good information on all subjects, and if anyone took the time to write these extensive articles on the issue, copyright them, and put thier names on them. I would imagine they know a thing or two on the subject and are actual experts. That being said I think these are two reliable sources. Im sure if the time were taken many more could be found.
if it didnt seem so much like i would be beating a dead horse, i would have to explain myself further.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dont see how you figure that is a sensless point, or perhaps dont want to admit that what you take as a misconception might actually be fact?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I dont see how you figure that is a sensless point, or perhaps dont want to admit that what you take as a misconception might actually be fact?
polyfill in a way slows down the waves inside of the box which exhibits smoother low end. but it in now way is a replacement for a larger enclosure. a larger enclosure will have different peaks and a different QTC value which changes how the woofer sounds in that particular box. its hard to explain the characteristics of what it does without a hands on display. it is more used to tune the response of the box. build a box .3 cubes less than recommended, stuff it with polyfill. see how it sounds. then build the proper box with a QTC of .7 and see how much different it sounds. you cant fake enclosure volume.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts