Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the whole offroading thing, and am a newer FJ owner. I am having a good time and as I guess would be expected I want to see what cooler things I can do to my stock rig for a little more fun.

I found these for sale and I have no idea if it is a good deal, and what else do I need to accomplish this lift?... can someone help me out? Even though my FJ is stock it does have the offroad package.

used 3" Suspension Lift Kit by ProComp for $350
•1 EXP-57491 Front Coil Springs
•1 EXP-57492 Rear Coil Springs
•2 EXP-622053 ES6000 Front Strut
•2 EXP-923553 ES9000 Rear Shock

Also how difficult is it to do this sort of lift without the full spectrum of mechanics tools? I have basic tools, and am not afraid of a project, but am I going to spend a ton in specialty tools to do this install?

Thanks!
Eric

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
That seems like a pretty good deal...depending on the condition and milage the kit has on it. Basic tools are all that are needed...wrenches, rachet, sockets, floor jack, and jack stands. The only thing you will have to get is a spring compressor, which you can rent for $35...or take your front springs and struts to a local shop and they can do it for you in 15 minutes! A friend and I did my lift in my driveway, took about 2 hours. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Hey Eric,
Welcome to the forum! I suggest you go through the suspension comparison thread in the suspension forum. What kind of wheeling do you do?

The Pro Comp is a lift that is "for show". It will not withstand any additional weight with grace. We installed that lift on a guy's FJ and he soon regretted it because he had an aftermarket bumper and winch. The springs were just too soft. I also question the longevity of the components at that price point.

I'm all about the "you get what you pay for" mentality. A good value lift is an OME. IMO, it's a $30K vehicle, don't cheap out on what gets you around and (hopefully) gets you home!

I see you're in Dallas. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up and talk about what you want to do with your FJC.

:cheers:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your response.
I think that based on both of your points I will pass on this particular listing, and find a more "go" than "show" lift.

The truth is I am pretty low key at this point... I like going out and bouncing around with my kids in the back...(ages 1-9) so nothing too intense. And if I am honest with myself, my biggest concern is a safe return. Maybe I should start with a winch and other escape tools, although I figure being further off the ground also helps to navigate obstacles safely.

In Vegas we went out and followed a little goat trail and stopped and camped, and then followed some trails around the next morning, and that was an absolute blast as well.

Thanks Again.:bigthumb:

Landy I will send a PM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts