Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum, but I figured it made the most sense to post here. I'm in the market for an FJ. I'm going to go see this FJ in person:

Just looking for opinions. Help a newbie out? Mileage seems a bit high for the price...

Thank you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
For a clean tt from cali seems not way out of line..

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
11,232 Posts
"replaced the timing belt and idler pulleys around 150k" I'd be asking WHY? I think they may mean serpentine belt.

10 yrs on the coast, salt corrosion? Check the frame.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"replaced the timing belt and idler pulleys around 150k" I'd be asking WHY? I think they may mean serpentine belt.

Hi Hannibal, would you expect the belt and puller to last longer? Good point about the being on the coast. Will absolutely check that out.

Thanks!!!!

·
11,232 Posts
Timing belt failure that early is a sign of improper maintenance, sludge due to lack of oil changes...

A serpentine belt on the other hand is normal.

Also note it says LIEN on the Title. KBB check the prices vs mileage/options and read this...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Timing belt failure that early is a sign of improper maintenance, sludge due to lack of oil changes...

A serpentine belt on the other hand is normal.

Also note it says LIEN on the Title. KBB check the prices vs mileage/options and read this...

Copy that. Thank you.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,418 Posts
If I remember correctly the FJ Cruiser has a timing chain not a belt. I also think he was talking about the serpentine belt for accessories and whatnot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I remember correctly the FJ Cruiser has a timing chain not a belt. I also think he was talking about the serpentine belt for accessories and whatnot.
Cool. I'll find out this weekend. Thanks for the input.

·
11,232 Posts
Yep chain, my bad. I was repeating the ad's word belt, when I kept thinking they mean serpentine.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi kevinATX,

I'm biased, so if I say it sounds like a good deal based on the miles-price-pics, ignore me.
However;
3rd or 4th-ing, on checking the salt/rust status underneath.
Check the driver's outside left lumbar for tears at the seam. If seam is tearing, it happens, it's negotiation chip.
The floor mats are missing in the photos. If you're lucky the owner still has them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Seems a bit overpriced for the miles. Maybe it’s priced as it is because he expects to be talked down a couple of thousand. That said, $18k-ish would be a good deal

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the same rig with 90k, it'd take $25k to pry it off me. I think this is fair, knock 1k off and I'd call it prrretty good, provided the above advice is followed for rust & what not.
Do have to question someone who says they changed the timing belt when it's a chain though.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts

Seller probably doesn't know the difference between timing belt, timing chain, and serpentine belt. Since the FJ's engine doesn't have a timing belt, he meant serpentine belt. Replacing the serpentine belt and some of the serpentine belt idler pulleys would have been appropriate at 150K miles.

In California, living on or near near the coast doesn't mean undercarriage rust, unless you drive down into the salt water on the beach, and there are very few places in California where you can drive on the beach.

Strictly prohibited, because of the risk of running over sand fleas, etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum, but I figured it made the most sense to post here. I'm in the market for an FJ. I'm going to go see this FJ in person:

Just looking for opinions. Help a newbie out? Mileage seems a bit high for the price...

Thank you!
It is "rare" because only 1500 were produced, if it were a manual it would be worth that price

·
Registered
254 Posts
May be a little late to the party here. The 2010 TT is a highly desirable color combo. And if it’s a clean California vehicle, it will still fetch a high price. If I were in your shoes, I’d pick out the issues that come with higher mileage vehicles and use them to negotiate the price down to the $18k range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts