Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called one off-road dealer to order some new wheels and tires, I had looked at the PC Rock Crawler Series 97 wheel, and he quoted me a price for them. However the next place I called told me that wheel wouldn't fit an FJ and the only thing they had that looked the same was the PC Series 8069 at roughly $80 more per wheel

Is the information correct about the Series 97 "not" fitting the FJ?

Also with the Revtek 3" lift they recommend 32" tires, but each of the places I called today told me to buy 285-R17 tires, any idea why they would say this?

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
From the research I just did (very quick mind you) the PC Rock Crawler Series 97 is a 15" wheel, that is to small for the brakes on the FJ. The smallest you can go is a 16" wheel and then not all will fit.

I am not sure what size wheel the 8069 is but I would also double check that wheel size to make sure it will fit as well. You will want a 16x8 and I can't remember what back spacing you want to be at. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

285's will be fine.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I think backspacing is 4.25 or 4.5 inches. 285/70/17 tires are a good size to run for an AT tire if you have stock steelies (17" wheels). For a 16" wheel, I'm not familiar with the available sizes, but basically you could run a 32-33" tire with out running into problems. On certain tires that tend to run wide, you may have to remove the front mudflaps and do the the "body mount chop".

backup a page and visit some of the Sticky posts like this one for more answers...
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ack-spacing-offset-explained-illustrated.html

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if my "current" tires say (265-R75-16) does this mean I have a 16" factory wheel? Can I even use a 17" wheel?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey,
The series 97's in a 16" wheel do not fit... I've got a set in my garage and they definitely do not work.
I've heard that the series 87's work but haven't tried a set yet. I'm going to exchange the 97's for them and see if I luck out.
hope that helps... and if anyone knows for sure that the 87's will work send me a message...
AR

·
Registered
327 Posts
My suggestion to one and all FJ owners is to bite the bullet and buy some spider trax wheel spacers. Once you do that you can run any wheel 16"s and up that you want. You can thank Toyota for making the FJ lug and hub centric. The studs are not long enough on the front for a wheel with offroad backspacing. Keep in mind that with the wheel spacers you could run a 16" or 17" black steel wheel.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
So if my "current" tires say (265-R75-16) does this mean I have a 16" factory wheel? Can I even use a 17" wheel?
To my knowledge:
265=width
R=Radial
75=height
16=rim size in inches

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not married to those Series 97 wheels, but they are black and simple and only $45 a wheel, the other series jumps up to $145 a wheel, so it was purely finacial in nature, so buying another adapter that would then allow me to use the cheaper wheel might not be cost effective, but thank you for that info, I will bookmark that idea

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not married to those Series 97 wheels, but they are black and simple and only $45 a wheel, the other series jumps up to $145 a wheel, so it was purely finacial in nature, so buying another adapter that would then allow me to use the cheaper wheel might not be cost effective, but thank you for that info, I will bookmark that idea
Did you want another set of wheels so you don't hurt your alloys?

If you have 16" alloys I would stick with them as they are nice and light. I'd put on a set of thin tall tires like 255/85/16 (33 1/4" tall). You get more clearance and great traction if you don't plan on mudding or driving on sand dunes. Plus being a thin tire it will be ligher than similar wide ones. Less spun weight = better MPG!

edit: thin tires will give less problems rubbing wise as well.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
i have the 87's with 3.75'backspacing in a 16x8 wheel. No rubbing and about 1cm of clearance to the calipers. I don't run spacers wither.

Also, they were about 74 bucks each. Cheap and sick looking. They weigh a little bit more then a forged aluminum wheel but 300 for a set of 4 vs 1000 is a lot better in my book.

Wheeler's offroad has them with 4"bs but, they get you on shipping. Shipping for 4 wheels was like 120 bucks. I just bought from a local shop that sells procomp stuff and they got them with 3.75" bs so they stick out more then the ones from wheeler's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts