Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all.

I have been in love with the rugged/different look of this truck and so now is about the right time for me to buy one. I am currently driving a 4x2 07 model on loan from a friend of mine looking to offload it (they own too many toys!) .

Can someone with young kids (in booster/car seats) please give me an honest opinion on the usability of this truck?

I am NOT going to be taking that truck off road and so I am going to stick with the 4x2. right???

The blind spots don't seem to be all that bad if you know how to use rear view mirrors ;-) it seems... Am I wrong?

Any other opinion and feedback would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
In my opinion, I think that you already know the answer to your question.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a 7 and a 5 y/o. They fit back there without any issues. I have Trail Gear sliders and they function nicely as steps for them to climb into. IMHO, the money saved in getting a 4x2 is not worth it considering the potential lost of use of 4x4. You never know when you'll need a 4x4. You can take a 4x4 out of 4x4 (auto), but can't make a 4x2 into a 4x4. Get the 4x4.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
If your not going to take it offroad I wouldnt bother. Its a great truck, dont get me wrong, but with the continued high gas prices I would get something with better fuel economy
x2 It is a truck built to be used offroad. If you are not using it for that purpose, there is a very high chance that you will buy it, the novelty of the looks will wear off in about 6 months and the gas prices will out weigh the looks/coolness of the FJ Cruiser. This is, JMO, why you are starting to see so many used FJ's flooding the market right now.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
I agree with FJamming. If you have ANY doubts at all, get the 4x4 w/ the auto transmission. There are many threads about people who bought 4x2s and later regretted not have the 4x4 because FJ ownership tends to get you involved in adventures that you might not otherwise have expected.

·
Registered
35 Posts
everyone's avatar has a dog on it...if you love animals, get an FJ. if you despise algebra, get the FJ then complain about it a lot, that's what I do. I'm 6'1" and get in the back of this wagon (it's NOT a truck) with none of the acrobatics these other forum guys talk about, so your kids will have no problems at all. Sometimes I think people confuse back seat ingress/egress (getting in and out) for the FJ with that of a '60's to 80's F-Body GM vehicle--now that is a p.i.t.a.

Thanks for reading my post.

edit: you will take this vehicle off road, it is a mathematical certainty. Get the 4x4.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a newborn with a baby seat that detaches from the base. Plenty of room to get in and out, PLUS i love my FJ so if there was any diffuculties Id prob overlook them anyway. I think it comes down to if YOU really love the FJ and its something that can fit into your budget.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a 4X2 and do moderate off roading, now concerning the car seat I have a 4 month old and the only problem is on side by side parking the clam shell doors are a trap with the baby carrier. In my opinion. other wise good truck overall.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! BTW I have the 4x2 and don't really do any off roading. I do play in an occasional mud hole but with the rear diff locker I can play pretty easily. As far as kids go in the back seat....... I think, from a mom's point of view, that the upholstery in the FJ is very forgiving to both animals and kids. My son is going to be 21 next month but I would have loved to have had a truck like mine when he was a baby!!! Don't have to worry so much about spills, dirty shoes and eventually the soccer gear in the back.

JMO but I am very happy with my 4x2 and though, if I had it to do over, I would have bought the 4x4 but for my use, my rig is perfect!!!

Happy hunting!

Kim

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I would agree with the side by side comment. Sometimes if a car parks to close it can be hard to open it enough for the clam to open.

I have 3 kids 7,5, and 16 months. So 2 boosters and full car seat. The only thing the kids have trouble with sometimes are the buckling the seat belt because the full car seat blocks the buckle a little bit.

But we love it. But you are the only one to make the call on if it is right for you.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Hi y'all.

I have been in love with the rugged/different look of this truck and so now is about the right time for me to buy one. I am currently driving a 4x2 07 model on loan from a friend of mine looking to offload it (they own too many toys!) .

Can someone with young kids (in booster/car seats) please give me an honest opinion on the usability of this truck?

I am NOT going to be taking that truck off road and so I am going to stick with the 4x2. right???

The blind spots don't seem to be all that bad if you know how to use rear view mirrors ;-) it seems... Am I wrong?

Any other opinion and feedback would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks
Our seat fits great. Our little one loves to ride in it. She has a choice in the morning and always yells "yellow truck" :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
everyone's avatar has a dog on it...if you love animals, get an FJ. if you despise algebra, get the FJ then complain about it a lot, that's what I do. I'm 6'1" and get in the back of this wagon (it's NOT a truck) with none of the acrobatics these other forum guys talk about, so your kids will have no problems at all. Sometimes I think people confuse back seat ingress/egress (getting in and out) for the FJ with that of a '60's to 80's F-Body GM vehicle--now that is a p.i.t.a.

Thanks for reading my post.

edit: you will take this vehicle off road, it is a mathematical certainty. Get the 4x4.
I don't have a dog, on my avatar. :) However, I do agree with the "get a 4X4" guys. I had a 2X truck, until I got stuck in the snow, on a hill, with a lake 25 yards ahead, in winter, and it was 0 deg. Now I have a 4X4. On another note; it has plenty of room for the family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow. Thanks for all the great feedback. BTW the one I am driving now is an 07 with 11K miles on it, Black It has the roof rack and the diff lock stuff. How much should I pay for it if I decide to go for it?

Finally, I live in New Orleans so not too much offroad mountain excursion but still like some of you say, why settle for 4x2 though when a 4x4 may be in the same price range...? the one thing about this one is that I KNOW the person who owns and know there's been no abusive riding with it.

I do own a 5 month old lab that do go swim every day so he already loves that truck and so do I.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Wow. Thanks for all the great feedback. BTW the one I am driving now is an 07 with 11K miles on it, Black It has the roof rack and the diff lock stuff. How much should I pay for it if I decide to go for it?

Finally, I live in New Orleans so not too much offroad mountain excursion but still like some of you say, why settle for 4x2 though when a 4x4 may be in the same price range...? the one thing about this one is that I KNOW the person who owns and know there's been no abusive riding with it.

I do own a 5 month old lab that do go swim every day so he already loves that truck and so do I.
Dude, you are in New Orleans!!!!! You are in the home of the Hurricane Cruisers! We are a group of FJ owners who like to hang out, mod, some 4 wheel and just have a good time. PM me and we can chat!

Kim

·
Registered
207 Posts
As someone stated earlier, there are a good bit of them around the net if you really look. I walked off the lot with a 07 4x4 w/ 20k miles for under 20000. :rocker:

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you drive in snow, the 4x4 is worth it for that reason alone. Havent had mine in the snow yet (it's new), but the best vehicle I ever drove in the snow was a 2nd gen RAV 4, full-time AWD. It kicked butt over all the jeeps I've owned

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
If you drive in snow, the 4x4 is worth it for that reason alone. Havent had mine in the snow yet (it's new), but the best vehicle I ever drove in the snow was a 2nd gen RAV 4, full-time AWD. It kicked butt over all the jeeps I've owned
Dude, he lives in New Orleans. I don't think we have to worry about snow down here but maybe, once in a million years. Sometimes I wish we could get some of the white stuff but alas, no.

What we do get down here is RAIN and when it rains in New Orleans, it floods. The FJ is awesome in high water. I just plow through it and leave all the others sitting in awe!!!! That is one awesome feeling!

Kim

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If you buy a mini-van (or anything else), every time you see an FJ rolling down the road, you'll get a sick feeling way down in your gut telling you blew it. If you buy the FJ and don't like it, sell it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
to piggyback on parrothead, I was going to mention my idea for an inflatable pontoon mod vice the 4x4 option for kindathing but decided against it at first b/c of katrina however you guys are in New Orlins Lewsianna and probably need it more than anyone else so keep me in mind this her-o-kane season

1 - 20 of 26 Posts