Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,934 Posts
So I was browsing through the forum and happened upon the ad in the classified section for a Thompson Contender with extra barrels for sale. What do you think of this as a survival type gun? Looking at it, you can get the base gun and have extra barrels such as .22, .410 shotgun that also shoots a large pistol(?) caliber, and 30-30. It is compact compared to a rifle, and with the extra barrels you could have the equivalent of several guns in a more compact package. You could even add the longer rifle barrel if wanted or needed. Granted it's only a single shot, but with practice one could shoot and reload fairly quickly. For taking game for food and self defense where the sight of a gun or only a couple of shots would be needed, it seems it would be decent. Just throwing this out there to see what people think about the idea.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So I was browsing through the forum and happened upon the ad in the classified section for a Thompson Contender with extra barrels for sale. What do you think of this as a survival type gun? Looking at it, you can get the base gun and have extra barrels such as .22, .410 shotgun that also shoots a large pistol(?) caliber, and 30-30. It is compact compared to a rifle, and with the extra barrels you could have the equivalent of several guns in a more compact package. You could even add the longer rifle barrel if wanted or needed. Granted it's only a single shot, but with practice one could shoot and reload fairly quickly. For taking game for food and self defense where the sight of a gun or only a couple of shots would be needed, it seems it would be decent. Just throwing this out there to see what people think about the idea.
I love Thompson Contenders, the idea of extra calibers is pretty tempting but as I recall they are also pretty expensive.

Doc

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,934 Posts
I wasn't sure what the price was on them. I have actually shot one a couple of times many years ago. A friend's Dad had one and he used it to hunt just about anything and did his own reloads. It was an interesting gun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Personally, i'd stay in the tried and tested line of firearms.

Everyone has their preference, but for myself, it would be more duty oriented firearms for a bug out kind of situation.

For example, a shotgun would be a Remington 870 in 12 gauge, a pistol would be a Glock or Sig chosen from the collection, a rifle would be an AR variant of some sort. As mentioned, a .22 of some sort would be great to have as well as it would have multiple uses.

Having had a few T/C's myself, I found them to not be the most durable firearms and i'm not sold on the praticality of having additional barrels. In other words, you could have 10 different barrels, but then you'd need to carry 10 different types of ammo. You could argue that it would be easier to find ammo as a result if you didn't have any, but let's not forget you've been lugging around extra barrels for nothing when space is at a premium.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I owned a T/C Contender several years go. My take is that it is bigger than about any pistol going, even approaching that of a small carbine, especially if you get a long bbl 30-30 or the like. Few shooters can do as good with any pistol as most can with a shoulder arm, and you already mentioned that a SS has poor follow up.

I live on the road and carry 2 weapons in my small travel trailer. A pump pellet pistol for fun and to chase away some varmits. Also a Marlin lever action carbine in .44 Mag. Holds 10 rounds and is very compact with a 16.25" barrel.

Ace

·
Registered
898 Posts
A 22 lever or pump with tubular magazine can handle and feed any 22 ammo including CB longs or shorts that make absolutely no noise at all, as good as suppressed! A semi auto would only feed long rifle: but could manually insert less than long rifle into chamber, as single shot! Sig has a complete 22 upper kit that slides right on frame of 220,226,or 229 (model specific kit for each) and use of 22 Sig magazine. Functions only with long rifle, high velocity, preferably Mini Mag. CB short or long could be manually loaded into chamber: but would not be as quiet as above long barrelled rifle.

In some survival book read some time ago, author said 22 ammo could become the next currency?

Remington 870 is good idea and with Brenneke slugs can be a 75 yd rifle, as well as all shot versions. WOULD NOT GET CHEAP PLASTIC "EXPRESS" VERSIONS OF 870, BUT "P" MODELS THAT HAVE ALL METAL CLASSIC" WINGMASTER" ACTION! If mobile, these options are possible; but on foot would do 22 AR like Colt and Sig 22/centerfire combo!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Eun Jin makes the Sumatra and Sam Yang makes some big bore 9mm and 45 cal air guns that run in the $500 range. People are killing Elk and Hogs with them, so plenty of power.
I love airguns, but have so far passed on the PCP's and scuba tank complications. I like the Theoben line of air rifles. I like the self contained power plants, and favor gas rams in particular due to the gas ram shooting more like a rim fire than some of the twangy spring guns.
I had about ten Beemans and Diana/RWS guns, but have it down to just a Theoben Evolution with plans to add a Cusader or Eliminator next.
The Theoben Eliminator in .22 cal would work for taking game to coyote size.

Check out www.straightshooters.com for more info on AG's. Kevin and Craig are good people to purchase from if you feel like you need a new addiction :cheers:

GB

·
Registered
583 Posts
For a survival rifle, i'd rather have the Henry Repeating Arms U.S. Survival Rifle AR-7 .22. Small, compact, shoot.22, and i believe waterproof. .22 is plenty good for taking down small game. I'd like that other rifle more for a survival rifle if there wasn't electronics, batteries, or a hand pump involved.

i bought one 15 years ago still have it and love it!

·
Registered
898 Posts
AR7 is cool little weapon: but if you really want a versatile 22 survival gun, a tubular magazine gun will handle shorts, longs and long rifle and CBShorts, or even CB longs are as quiet as a suppressor. Fast follow up shots with a pump,fess so with lever or bolt action.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I owned a T/C Contender several years go. My take is that it is bigger than about any pistol going, even approaching that of a small carbine, especially if you get a long bbl 30-30 or the like. Few shooters can do as good with any pistol as most can with a shoulder arm, and you already mentioned that a SS has poor follow up.

I live on the road and carry 2 weapons in my small travel trailer. A pump pellet pistol for fun and to chase away some varmits. Also a Marlin lever action carbine in .44 Mag. Holds 10 rounds and is very compact with a 16.25" barrel.

Ace
Hey Ace, that Marlin .44 will chase away some different types of varmits. :lol:

I used to hunt alligators with a .22LR Colt pistol. It'd leave them very dead, which was good, considering they were about a foot away from me. :cowfrown:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Down here in alligator country right now. Seem several in the 12-15' range lately here I'm Everglades. Hard to believe a 22 would put a big gator to sleep.

Ace

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
8 Posts
$1300 would buy a lot of ammo for a .22 rifle or similar weapon. But then for larger "game" or self defense you might need something bigger...

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I don't know guys... The air rifle is cool, but it's just so easy to stock up on rim fire ammo. With the AR-7 types guns, they are interesting, but it's really hard to beat my Savage .22LR Bolt action with iron sights and a 10 round clip. It was less than a hundred bucks at wal-mart, it'll take the smaller air rifle red dot sights and scopes, I got 2 clips, or you can single shot it if you lose all your clips. It's fairly accurate, and would kill most small game in a survival situation, or stun a pig in a trap with a headshot so you can bleed it out before cleaning it.

Granted, it's a moderate sized rifle, so it's not going in a motorcycle pannier, but it'll stash in my truck easy when camping if I don't need a bigger gun for whatever reason.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very cool technology, but not what I'd want to rely on if TSHTF.

Technology and electric gizmos have a habit of breaking on you when you seem to need them the most. And really, what's more realistic? That the world would run out of the millions of traditional rounds that are already in existence, or that you'd run out of these specialized .357 bullets for this rifle?

·
Registered
583 Posts
DOCTORS VS. GUN OWNERS
Doctors
(A) The number of doctors in the U.S. is
(B) Accidental deaths caused by doctors Per year is
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is

Statistics courtesy of the U.S. Dept of
Health and Human Services.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Now think about this:
Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is
(Yes, that's 80 million)
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups,is
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is
Statistics courtesy of FBI

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So, statistically, doctors are approximately
9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN,
BUT
Almost everyone has at least one doctor.
This means you are over 9,000 times more likely to be killed by a doctor as by a gun owner!!!

Please alert your friends
to this
alarming threat.
We must ban doctors
before
this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

OUT OF CONCERN FOR THE PUBLIC AT LARGE
We withheld the statistics on
lawyers
for fear the shock would cause
people to panic and seek medical attention!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
93 Posts
DOCTORS VS. GUN OWNERS
Doctors
(A) The number of doctors in the U.S. is
(B) Accidental deaths caused by doctors Per year is
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is

Statistics courtesy of the U.S. Dept of
Health and Human Services.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Now think about this:
Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is
(Yes, that's 80 million)
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups,is
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is
Statistics courtesy of FBI

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So, statistically, doctors are approximately
9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN,
BUT
Almost everyone has at least one doctor.
This means you are over 9,000 times more likely to be killed by a doctor as by a gun owner!!!

Please alert your friends
to this
alarming threat.
We must ban doctors
before
this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

OUT OF CONCERN FOR THE PUBLIC AT LARGE
We withheld the statistics on
lawyers
for fear the shock would cause
people to panic and seek medical attention!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
:bigthumb::clap:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
DOCTORS VS. GUN OWNERS
:lol::rofl:

Now ...I know it's funny and all, but just in case anyone reading this thread suffers from a severe lack of their own reasoning skills, and thinks it's actually true, I should probably add at least a few things to the mix...

1. Spam/Troll?
No offense to doxdoxer, but other than the fact that it has something to do with guns, the post above (post number 36) is not relevant to this thread, and may be considered spam or trolling, depending on the meaning and interpretation of those terms (and the rules regarding them which have been established here on this forum) by the admins of this forum.

2. False Premise
The premise of the humorous bit above is false. All that is being compared is the number of persons in a given profession -vs- the number of persons that own a particular object. There is no thought whatsoever given to the number of times the professional uses their skills, or how often the owner of the object uses the object while 'live'. Certainly even a child (if given the proper training in math, science and critical thinking) could see between these lines and conclude that the story is bogus based on the number of times a Dr. actually practices medicine -vs- the number of times the gun owner actually shoots their gun. Hopefully I don't have to actually calculate it out for you, because it would be an almost astronomical difference that would surely end with the gun owners looking much worse than the Dr.s (which is a bit offensive as a gun owner and 2nd amendment advocate myself).

3. Statistical Nonsense
I've heard that 47.5 % of all statistics are made up on the spot when someone is trying to make a point. <-- :lol:

The supposed 'statistics' mentioned in the humorous bit posted by doxdozer above are not backed up anywhere (oh, but I know some people don't really care about what's true...all that matters is that something gets a lot of people all riled up for a given cause)

4. Discredited Urban Legend
...and then there's the fact that one version or another this urban legend has been circulating the internet for a very long time.

EXAMPLES...

Re: Guns & Doctors - the truth?

"You WON'T find the source to the ?statistics? you showed us because
the source is unknown. In fact, this is merely a very prolific,
somewhat darkly amusing urban legend that many of us can recall
reading many years ago and it never seems to die off. Like many urban
legends, this one has changed a bit from it?s original source, but you
might find it interesting, and perhaps even surprising, to know that
this particular one changed "before" it actually became internet
discussion fodder ? that?s actually how it got here in the first
place.

You see, this whole thing started because of an article published in
1999 by the INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE (IOM) that quoted a statistic saying
that in the MEDICAL DEVICE INDUSTRY medical errors are the cause of
somewhere between 44,000 and 98,000 deaths a year. First, this figure
does seem huge but you will notice that it clearly is not the 100,000
deaths that many of us have read in this Internet posting then and
now. Secondly, the statistic is related to the ENTIRE MEDICAL DEVICE
INDUSTRY, not only physicians in particular - so NO, it isn't true at
all. This industry wide issue might justify a comparatively high
number when all deaths are calculated but no...the media saw this
article and made an enormous issue of it. In short order the number of
deaths annually was rounded off to the highest quoted figure and
before you know it, it was DOCTORS who were killing 100,00 people a
year rather than every quirky accident, failed medical device,
malfunction, etc. Frankly, considering how long this urban legend has
been alive, I'm surprised it has not become 100 million by now.

What the internet legend DOESN'T go on to say was the IOM report has
been disputed by reputable sources. According to this source after the
IOM original article appeared the JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL
ASSOCIATION (JAMA) responded by suggesting that the statiistics were
absurdly overstated and "suggested that the number of deaths due to
error is probably closer to between 5000 and 15,000 annually."

'Medical Errors: Leading Cause of Death or Urban Legend?'
MDDI Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry News Products and Suppliers

?Who is at fault then for putting this crap out??
Who knows, if I had to guess I?d say thousands of people have shared
this responsbility in some way or other over the years for breathing
new life into it and passing it on or posting it anew on the internet.
After all, these are not real statistics and the whole thing is a
joke. In fact, this very message you showed us appears on lots of joke
and humor pages that are intended for that very purpose - to make us
laugh. Here is but one example:

GOP FUN
gopfun.com: The Leading GOP Fun Site on the Net

?Who, or what, is the source for the original urban legend??
There?s no way to answer that by pinning it down to a person?s name,
but suffice it to say that the whole ridiculous thing was born through
gross exaggeration of the 1999 Institute of Medicine article.
Actually, unless one falls for the nonsense of the statistics and
cannot be reasoned with otherwise, he will clearly see that the
legendary set of statistics is NOT about doctors at all. No, the
intent of the article is HUMOR, not by disparaging the medical
profession, but by justifying ? in a silly and entertaining way ? GUN
OWNERSHIP. It?s a simple as the people who swallow it?hook, line and
sinker.

Below you will find that I have carefully defined my search strategy
for you in the event that you need to search for more information. By
following the same type of searches that I did you may be able to
enhance the research I have provided even further. I hope you find
that my research exceeds your expectations. If you have any questions
about my research please post a clarification request prior to rating
the answer. Otherwise, I welcome your rating and your final comments
and I look forward to working with you again in the near future. Thank
you for bringing your question to us.

Best regards;
Tutuzdad ? Google Answers Researcher

INFORMATION SOURCES

Defined above

SEARCH STRATEGY

SEARCH ENGINES USED:

Google ://www.google.com

SEARCH TERMS USED:

Urban legend

Hoax

Joke

"Guns don't kill people, doctors do"

?Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year?"

Also...

Medical Errors: Leading Cause of Death or Urban Legend?

"Medical errors do happen, but exaggerating the scope of the problem will impede efforts to address serious threats to the healthcare system.

Thanks in part to the prevalence of e-mail and spam, we've all encountered urban legends. Whether it's that Nigerian official who needs to store $100 million in your bank account for a few days or a friend who passes on a warning about an imminent postal-service plan to tax e-mail, there is no dearth of people ready and willing to propagate unlikely myths.

Somehow, despite their implausibility, these urban legends are passed around as truths by people too shocked to raise questions. In most cases, the implications are relatively harmless. But sometimes, the failure to critically examine assertions presented as facts can have serious consequences.

One pertinent example for the medical device industry is the widely quoted statistic that medical error kills 100,000 people every year. Based on a report by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) released in 1999—which actually cited estimates of between 44,000 and 98,000 deaths a year caused by medical errors—this claim received extensive coverage in the news media.

Much less attention was paid to a subsequent article, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) last July 25, which called into question the conclusions of the IOM report. According to authors Rodney Hayward and Timothy Hofer, the results of their study suggest that "these statistics are probably unreliable and have substantially different implications than have been implied in the media." Hayward has suggested that the number of deaths due to error is probably closer to between 5000 and 15,000 annually.

The core argument of the JAMA article was not to reject absolutely the IOM estimate. Rather, it was to caution against accepting it as a factual statistic. As the authors found, opinions among the doctors reviewing the records that were examined varied considerably about whether a particular error led to a death, and even on whether an event was in fact an error. Moreover, previous studies had not considered whether the patient would have died regardless of the error.

Unfortunately, the JAMA article appears to have had little moderating effect on the holding power of the IOM figure. The 100,000 number shows signs of having become another urban legend. More than a month after the JAMA article was published, for instance, a full-page ad published in The Wall Street Journal referred to the original estimate. "Medical error," said the ad, "ranks with cancer and highway accidents as a major killer in the United States."

This may be good ad copy, but it's misleading rhetoric. To take up this debatable estimate as accepted fact is to misidentify the enemy. Yes, medical error is a problem. But if society exaggerates its scope, precious resources may be diverted away from other serious threats to the healthcare system.

Obviously, medical errors do happen, and medical device malfunctions are sometimes contributing factors to such terrible mistakes. To the extent that the delivery of healthcare has been improved by the publicity over medical errors, it has been a good thing. But if too much emphasis is put on errors, it will end up hampering the efforts of the healthcare system and medical device companies to implement further improvements.

The healthcare system is far from perfect, but it is hardly a threat comparable to cancer. Let's not try to fix what isn't broken."

p.s. Personally, when it comes to the topic of long-term survival, I still like the idea of a gun that doesn't require storing ammunition with gun powder.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,934 Posts
p.s. Personally, when it comes to the topic of long-term survival, I still like the idea of a gun that doesn't require storing ammunition with gun powder.
Just curious, but why?? It's no more unsafe than storing most anything else. It's not like the black powder of times past that was unstable. If you look, you can find ammunition that's been stored since before WWII still being sold and used and it's in just as good of shape as new ammo today.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,934 Posts
I don't know guys... The air rifle is cool, but it's just so easy to stock up on rim fire ammo. With the AR-7 types guns, they are interesting, but it's really hard to beat my Savage .22LR Bolt action with iron sights and a 10 round clip. It was less than a hundred bucks at wal-mart, it'll take the smaller air rifle red dot sights and scopes, I got 2 clips, or you can single shot it if you lose all your clips. It's fairly accurate, and would kill most small game in a survival situation, or stun a pig in a trap with a headshot so you can bleed it out before cleaning it.

Granted, it's a moderate sized rifle, so it's not going in a motorcycle pannier, but it'll stash in my truck easy when camping if I don't need a bigger gun for whatever reason.
I didn't know if you were talking about a wild pig or not, but a .22LR behind the ear will kill a domestic pig with no problem. That's how my co worker did it with the pigs he raised.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts